View Single Post
      12-12-2023, 10:04 AM   #5
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn216 View Post
I'd try to keep in mind the website is trying to sell you something. It's probably important to note exactly what their data shows, which is that something generically labeled as "underhood" temperatures are lower. A blanket can't actually lower the amount of thermal energy produced, it still has to go somewhere, so these effectively increase the operating temperatures (or at the very least, the thermal loading) on the hot portion of the turbo by holding it in. The high temperature of the exhaust gases flowing through the hot side of the turbo remains the same, and the blanket decreases what the turbo casting can dissipate into its surrounding environment. With a blank slate, you likely could compensate for this through the design of the cooling circuit, but you still likely increased thermal load at the bearing, which is already hard on oil.

These engines are harder than average on oil, with pretty highly stressed cooling circuits as-is. Personally, I'd think twice about increasing the thermal load they must manage.

These kinds of wraps and blankets are great on custom builds and highly modified cars where you're trying to protect something from getting too hot because the cost of a rigid, stamped heatshield will never make sense for a 1-off.
Very insightful and well composed post. Thank you for that.

I would like to further point out that thermal management is especially important in diesel vehicles. There, you have DPF bolted straight to turbo, and if that goes to regeneration, these things run at 700C degrees.

It wont be a big issue to stop your engine mid regen if things are stock, as engine management is designed to rapidly cool the engine bay and needed components. If one would tamper with convective capacities, trapping all that heat within those components for longer than design specification, then my educated guess would be that it's going to significantly impact service life of those components.

Dont take all that as me trying to discourage you from pursuing what you like. The last thing I want to do is diminish your passion. It's just that some things have deeper impact than what appears on the surface (no pun intended) and need to be given a careful and calculated consideration.
Appreciate 2