DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Yes, I managed a couple of software development teams at two previous jobs. Thankfully both times they were for new products and I was able to hand pick/hire my team. Took a while but I got some great guys. Arrogant coders with no social skills need not apply. Same applies for engineers. I'll take an engineer (software or otherwise) who is a 7 out of 10 in skillset and can interact seamlessly with the rest of the company any day over a 10/10 coding genius who sits in a dark corner in his own filth, covered in Doritos dust and head lice.
for this part in bold, i'd say as a student of it, good luck finding them from a big 10 school that's almost world renown for coding. i'm not saying it doesn't exist but it's hard to come by

but yeah, in general i feel like the person i'm hiring/i'd like to be hired is someone i can invite out for a beer or two after work. not necessarily to become best buddies, but someone human enough that i wouldn't mind spending a few hours outside of work with. i can't exactly describe it, but you hopefully get what i mean
I know exactly what you mean! I spend far more time with my coworkers and employees than I do with my wife and friends. So yeah, not having a team full of dickheads is key to long term happiness!
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8211.00