View Single Post
      02-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #24
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Like some of you, I am absolutely OCD about clean glass. Moreover, I live in the tropics where it rains year round, so water beading, wiper noise (or lack thereof), and visibility in the rain is of utmost importance. Also, we use our wipers so regularly, any coating/repellent has to be able to take wiper abuse and still last a long time.

I've used many different types of glass coatings and rain repellents, including the dreaded RainX (absolute rubbish. Good when it was the only product available 20 years ago, but long surpassed by other stuff).

The best I've ever used, and the one I still swear by today, is Ultra Glaco (black bottle) from Soft99. It's a Japanese product and available from Amazon. It is super easy to apply - wipe on using the applicator bottle, let it dry into a haze (5-10 mins), wipe off with clean cloth. It wipes off clean with one swipe, I kid you not! Anyone who's ever tried to clean RainX after application knows what a bitch RainX is to apply. Ultra Glaco recommends letting the coating 'cure' for 12 hours for best effect, so just plan some downtime after application.

Ultra Glaco repellency is supposed to last 12 months. In my kind of weather, it's closer to 4-5 months, which is about 4 months longer than RainX. Water beading effect is fantastic, and rain flies up and off the windscreen at about 60kph. The water beads are smaller than RainX beads and wiper doesn't chatter on the coating (trust me, we have to use our wipers a lot here!). Most importantly, the coating also repels dirt, so I wind up cleaning my windshield less as well.

Soft99 also sells a glass cleaner as pre-prep for Ultra Glaco, or if you want to remove Ultra Glaco in future. I've never had to use it.
Appreciate 2
cmyx6go15762.50
CSBM52722.50