View Single Post
      09-07-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

1800 mile roundtrip to Brooklyn, NY from Chicago

Like many other on the forum, I find the best use of this car is to munch down the highway miles in serene comfort. So since both my (under 12) kids are unvaccinated and we are reluctant to put them on a plane, we decided on a road trip to NYC from Chicago for ten days. We broke the trip in the middle in a motel on each leg so I was doing about 6 hrs of driving for two days, both going and coming home.

The car was flawless. Ample power, great to pass and stretch its legs on WOT. But I was driving conservatively most of the time since I had both kids and the wife riding with me. I used ACC 90% of the time along with Lane keep assist, which worked maybe 60-70% of the time. Since I had recently repaired the ACC due to a minor accident the dealership did a great job handing over the car to me just before we left. We did have to enroll the local BMW Genius since the car had been back a couple of times with the sensors still acting up. Turns out it was a cracked ACC bracket. I also had procured the BMW tire repair kit as advised on this forum, incase I needed any help with my non Runflat Pirellis. But unsurprisingly, the need for it never materialized.

I actually found the seats (comfort ventilated, no massage) a little uncomfortable in the beginning, but after reclining them more than I'm used to in city driving, they felt much better. An aggressive lumbar position adjustment helped some too. Driving back I didn't really feel the distance since I had my seating position well set and ACC did most of the work.

On coming back I made the biggest mistake of paying someone $350 for and Exterior and Interior detail to get the bugs off. But they messed the dash up by using a cheap leather shine, which I had to fix with my leather master products afterwards! Hope all of you get a chance to stretch your cars legs on the highway, where I feel these machines truly shine.

Cheers, and happy motoring