View Single Post
      07-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #45
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

this made me remember Rolls-Royce before it was acquired by BMW
they made a new model and were talking great lengths about flowing exterior "yacht" lines and so on and on and on,...the exterior pics were made in the same way as the one of this concept (the light on the polished surface as an eye catcher); when you saw the car in real life, with dust and gray weather it looked as a relict.
The whole car was screeching, the autoradio was taken from a cheap Fiat (italian low cost cars),...

I've driven the actual BMW 7er, and I must say few things about the weight. You probably all have in mind Italian scenic road with twists and bends?
Okay, so when I drive this very long sailing boat named 7er on the motorway, it's nice and comfortable-the weight is not that important here.
On the twisted roads outside the cities it's the bus size that goes on the nerves; yes the weight matters here, but making a bus lighter does not solve the primary problem. So I leave this company car on the parking lot and take my compact with a powerful engine or a sports-bike

I'm not going into the discussion about driving such a bus through the traffic in the italian cities or to comment German parking lots (included parking houses) are too narrow for such cars

Conclusion:
The notion of the 9er class is ridiculous. Even for developing countries; the ones who have money there, are going to buy a brand that does not make everyday cars. When you say I bought a Porsche it sound different from:
"I've bought a BMW"
"The 1 series? I saw the discounts! Good buy!"
"The 9 series!! You know, the luxurious version! The Only BMW that does not have that common man looking interior!"
Appreciate 0