03-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #92
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Some of the comments made are childish, immature and provincial. You wonder why BMW drivers have a bad reputation, just read this thread.

Wasn't that long ago that no one would buy an American made car. Or for that matter BMW's from Spartanburg.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Most Spartanburg built vehicles are being driven by housewives who buy them for the badge and treat them like appliances. They could give a rat's ass where they are built. We're talking about a premium, driving enthusiast's sports coupe. Aka the E30 or E46 M3 of today. I don't care how well-built a Mexican made car can be. It's a matter of principle in this case. Simple as that.

I will also add that when Mexico becomes a car buying super power and influencer like the US or China, then and only then could I possibly understand why BMWs are going to be made there. Granted, I don't have a particular affinity for Spartanburg-built cars, I can appreciate what it does for our domestic economy, job creation, etc. As one of the largest buying markets for those Spartanburg vehicles, I see it as Americans consuming what we produce and contributing to the nation's GDP. Any nation would be proud to have a similar situation. However, outsourcing production to a place where labor and materials sourcing is cheap, then importing them back to our shores and paying the same luxury tax seems like a lose-lose situation and a total rip-off to me. Again, if Mexico is so proud to be producing such quality vehicles, then they should be backing it up and eating their own dog food, so to speak, just like we do.

Last edited by CP911; 03-13-2019 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00