View Single Post
      07-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #78
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

I haven't used a radar detector in 20 years -- and the only speeding tickets I've received since that time, with one exception, were on motorcycles. Maybe it's just my luck, but I think the key is knowing where, when, and by how much to speed.

Below highway speeds, I generally follow the 10 percent rule: no more than 10 percent above the posted limit. Most cops can't be bothered by a few MPH because of measurement error (your speedometer, their radar/lidar/etc.)

On the highway, no more than 9mph over the posted limit. Why 9? The cutoff for a higher fine -- and, thus, more incentive for a cop to actually pull you over after clocking you -- is 10mph over in most states.

In certain areas I'll go even faster. Example: I just got back from a 3,200-mile road trip in my 718 Cayman. I regularly went 20-25mph over the posted limit on twisty roads, especially ones with fairly high grades. Reason? Cops are too busy negotiating the curves to ping you, and there's almost no place for them to lie in wait. Another example: Passing on a two-lane highway. I hit triple digits regularly doing this. On two occasions I was passed in the opposite direction by LEOs soon after the pass -- then they saw what I needed to pass. Never even saw a LEO look my way or flash its lights, much less turn around.

I am definitely curious about how well Waze works in iOS 12/CarPlay... but honestly, it's near worthless in rural areas. Just be smart. Detectors are just tickets waiting to write themselves. I'd simply rather be smart.
Appreciate 1
2000cs3502.50