View Single Post
      08-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

Front breaks on my M760 will be needing replacement soon. I think the dealership quoted around $2.5k. This includes disks, pads and labour.

Re: reliability - I don't think many people kept both an Alpina and a 760 side by side long enough to tell which one based on their experience. So we all pretty much have to go by opinions and judgements. I only can offer a common sense thought: Alpina's version of the V8 is using big high-pressure hot turbos. High per-liter HP output and hard working engine. The V12 at its 6.6L displacement uses smaller and simpler turbos with relatively low pressure settings. It "feels" effortless, and I think it is objectively a much stressed, happier engine. Which one is likely to last longer, given their complexities etc..... anyone's guess, I personally bet on the v12.

Also, I am mostly DIY guy for anything not covered by warranty. If a few decades doing this would be any indicator, the maintenance costs are entirely manageable for a normal production vehicles like the 7 series. Getting some specific parts for an Alpina 15 years down the road might be harder than for a BMW car.

Last edited by Epiplatys; 08-09-2020 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0