11-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
ANTWAN229
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Activehybrid 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiplatys View Post
Front breaks on my M760 will be needing replacement soon. I think the dealership quoted around $2.5k. This includes disks, pads and labour.

Re: reliability - I don't think many people kept both an Alpina and a 760 side by side long enough to tell which one based on their experience. So we all pretty much have to go by opinions and judgements. I only can offer a common sense thought: Alpina's version of the V8 is using big high-pressure hot turbos. High per-liter HP output and hard working engine. The V12 at its 6.6L displacement uses smaller and simpler turbos with relatively low pressure settings. It "feels" effortless, and I think it is objectively a much stressed, happier engine. Which one is likely to last longer, given their complexities etc..... anyone's guess, I personally bet on the v12.

Also, I am mostly DIY guy for anything not covered by warranty. If a few decades doing this would be any indicator, the maintenance costs are entirely manageable for a normal production vehicles like the 7 series. Getting some specific parts for an Alpina 15 years down the road might be harder than for a BMW car.
The dealer quote is right on point, as this was the same for my 06 750i, 2010 750 Activehybrid, but my 2020 M760i is $3,200. I would suggest getting the the 6-yr warranty ($3300) & the 100k mile service package $5200. The V12 will cost at least $7500 over 6-yrs is you pay out of pocket, bc there will always be issues that you want the dealership to take care of. My 2010 Activehybrid7 battery replacement & programming would have cost $24k out of pocket, but I traded for the 2020 M760 and still received $18k towards my new vehicle.
Appreciate 0