BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-13-2024, 07:45 AM   #1
luv4greenleaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 750xi

2022 Tire Help

Have 2022 750 staggered 20inch setup.

Down to 2 options

Michelin CrossClimate2

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus

From my research- Michelin does better job with snow (I’m in Chicago) but the speed rating is W and has more mileage warranty 60k. More expensive

Continental is better for performance, and ride quality and good in lite snow. 50k warranty with speed rating of Y

Does anyone have experience with either or? Need to get rid of my run flat summer tires before winter and going with all season.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #2
BlackM750i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i M Sport

Michelin Pilot Sport AS4's. Speed rating is Y (186mph) Ride comfort is excellent. I don't drive mine in the winter but on the X3M I have the same AS4's and no issues with snow and the dry/wet traction is excellent.

I'm running 255/40/20 F and 285/35/20 R but they have them in the oem sizes.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 06:02 PM   #3
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Does speed rating even matter anything? Noone tracks their 7 and you can't go that fast on public roads. I wouldn't gamble with summer tires on snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 11:18 AM   #4
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4greenleaves View Post
Have 2022 750 staggered 20inch setup.

Down to 2 options

Michelin CrossClimate2

Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus

From my research- Michelin does better job with snow (I’m in Chicago) but the speed rating is W and has more mileage warranty 60k. More expensive

Continental is better for performance, and ride quality and good in lite snow. 50k warranty with speed rating of Y

Does anyone have experience with either or? Need to get rid of my run flat summer tires before winter and going with all season.
These tires are in two completely different classes. The CrossClimate2 is a Grand Touring All Season tire, and the DWS06 is an Ultra High Performance All Season. Either class of tire would be appropriate depending on your preferences.

If you drive aggressively, you'll probably prefer the more performance oriented Continental DWS06. The UHP AS equivalent tire in Michelin's product line would be their Pilot Sport AS4, and yes compared to that tire the DWS06 has a softer and more compliant ride. Compared to ANY grand touring tire, it's going to be noticeably stiffer (and more responsive,). Expect it to be passable in winter conditions but not great: note too that Continental says this tire is only suitable for snow/winter driving for a portion of its lifespan (ie. the S embossed into the tread is still visible), same for wet (W), and when the D is gone the tires are completely worn out.

The CrossClimate2 will, without question be the more comfortable and quieter of the two. It is also an "All-Weather" tire, and will out perform the DWS06 in inclement weather especially snow and slush as it does carry the 3PMS rating. It's not going to be quite as capable as a dedicated winter tire, but still a considerable step up from even the best a UHP AS tire can do. It's an excellent compromise all around if you don't have strong feelings one way or the other.

I've owned both tires, but neither on my 7. The DWS's will start off fairly quiet, and get noisy as they wear (as do most tires in its class). I have the CrossClimate2's on a Lexus RX right now and they are pretty quiet overall, I really only notice any tire noise while turning and that's probably because I don't really hear them at all going straight.

I'd care more about making sure to get the correct load rating before speed rating, this is a heavy car. You should also be aware that because you have a staggered set up, the mileage warranties you mention are not valid for your use case. These are both directional tires and won't be able to be rotated at all on your car, so at best the warranty will be half mileage if not voided entirely.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2024, 11:59 AM   #5
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I don’t run winter tyres, but my car has the data in the label. The snow tyres show just V speed rating.

Name:  IMG_2506.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  329.2 KB
Appreciate 0