Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

11-08-2015, 11:38 PM   #1
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

New M4 Owner Looking for Performance Gains Advice

After taking a 2 ½ year hiatus, I’m back on the forum Since selling my E92 M3 I’ve owned an E46 M3 for track duty and, more recently, an Audi RS5 which is like an overweight and underperforming E92 that only comes to life in wet conditions. The RS5 experience was short-lived and I’m about to take delivery of 2015 M4.

In recent weeks, I’ve been reviewing Tom’s EAS project car and Turner Motorsports project build along with catching-up on various posts on the forum. Since I’m getting get the impression that there’s not a lot to add to the M4, does anyone have advice on the best power mods for the M4 along with the best sounding exhaust (I know, a very subjective question)?

I’m not too concerned about appearance, hence the reason I’m posting to this section, but I am very interested in learning what are the best power gains for the M4. I have an extensive list of tuner notes from JB4, ESS, Dinan, and Turner but I’m having difficulty picking one. Also, is an intake update worthwhile on the M4? And lastly, what are your opinions on replacing the stock exhaust (sound, power gains)?

Last edited by tinpot; 11-09-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
After taking a 2 ½ year hiatus, I’m back on the forum Since selling my E92 M3 I’ve owned an E46 M3 for track duty and, more recently, an Audi RS5 which is like an overweight and underperforming E92 that only comes to life in wet conditions. The RS5 experience was short-lived and I’m about to take delivery of 2015 M4.

In recent weeks, I’ve been reviewing Tom’s EAS project car and Turner Motorsports project build along with catching-up on various posts on the forum. Since I’m getting get the impression that there’s not a lot to add to the M4, does anyone have advice on the best power mods for the M4 along with the best sounding exhaust (I know, a very subjective question)?

I’m not too concerned about appearance, hence the reason I’m posting to this section, but I am very interested in learning what are the best power gains for the M4. I have an extensive list of tuner notes from JB4, ESS, Dinan, and Turner but I’m having difficulty picking one. Also, is an intake update worthwhile on the M4? And lastly, what are your opinions on replacing the stock exhaust (sound, power gains)?

IMO: JB4 & downpipes. Best bang for buck power gains and great sound. downpipes with stock exhaust is a great combo that sounds great! especially with flaps open via the JB4.
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
lore2486
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 AW/IR 328i

as far as power gains jb4 is the way to go. the adjustability is great and if you don't want to mess around with it just use one of the preset maps. you can also go flash tune but at this time there is barely any data vailable on them. PRO Tuning Freaks claims to be coming out with a revolutionary tune that includes an obd data logger so you can see what the car is doing and adjust certain things. BMP is also working on a flash tune but we dont know much about it yet.

Exhaust is very subjective, im running stock with valves open because its free. i am working on getting a full Active autoweke exhaust (supposed to be the best sounding) or a AWE switch path. Dont think you cant go wrong with either of these but AA is a notch higher than AWE because of the mid pipe design and no valves. you probably wont see much if any gains with ANY exhaust, even if you do downpipes. Akra exhaust is also very popular but too rich for my blood at 6k$

Intake- if you do this, do it for the sound. There is no gains unless you are going to bigger turbos. i think AWE intake looks great but personally ill be buying BMS intake because of the price. If money is no object check out MSR/E ventury/CMP racing/Gruppe M all of these are in the "exotic" intake category. some claim big HP gain but once again we have limited 3rd party data on them.

hope this helps
      11-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

Depends on your performance goals.
If you want instant power while keeping the car stock, get the JB stage 1.

If you want max power get the JB4 stage 2 + Catless downpipes.
Heat exchanger and intake are very good additions as well.

If you are looking for a loud exhaust GThaus and Remus are very good options.
If you are looking to delete the rasp, get the Active Autowerke.

Since catless downpipes will change the tone of the exhaust on your car, i recommend you wait until you add downpipes before adding an exhaust.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

I would keep the stock exhaust and add catless downpipes. As for tunes there are a few options. The JB4 for example will cleat the CEL from the downpipes. Not sure if the others will.

The JB4 is pretty popular here so you will get a lot of feedback on it from the forum members.

Intake on the platform does not really provide much gains but does create some nice sound. We put the BMS intake on our M3, and love it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Dumb question, can you basically use the JB4 CANbus to open the valves but not use any "MAP" on the JB4?, or does a MAP have to be active to operate the Valves?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananas View Post
Dumb question, can you basically use the JB4 CANbus to open the valves but not use any "MAP" on the JB4?, or does a MAP have to be active to operate the Valves?
You can put the JB4 on Map 4, which is totally stock and still use the CANBus features.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #8
JoeyBananas
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: NA

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:

Ran the JB4 for awhile, went with ESS Flash and prefer this route for power gains and all-around drivability. A tune, higher flowing filters and catless downpipes are the only bolt-on items (not excluding octane) that make any considerable gains. Despite the marketing, haven't seen an exhaust or intakes make any additional gains.

The S55's "out of the box" performance is very good, with the turbos being the bottleneck for making any real power gains.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Irishace
ElevenPointFive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Ran the JB4 for awhile, went with ESS Flash and prefer this route for power gains and all-around drivability. A tune, higher flowing filters and catless downpipes are the only bolt-on items (not excluding octane) that make any considerable gains. Despite the marketing, haven't seen an exhaust or intakes make any additional gains.

The S55's "out of the box" performance is very good, with the turbos being the bottleneck for making any real power gains.
There is plenty of room in the stock turbo setup to make 480-500whp. One can expect gains of 60-80whp with tune and downpipes. That is a real power gain in my book. Now if you want really big power then yes, turbo upgrade!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #11
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

There is a lot of information regarding the "tunes" that are available. They are all different and all communicate to the car differently.
First question I would be concerned with is warranty.
What are YOU willing to put up with in your dealership visit and or when you have a "Check Engine" light come on.
If you have a mod friendly dealer and it doesn't matter what you do to your car then a flash tune will be the best "tune" you can get. There are a few companies successfully doing this.
If its an issue with that you mod then go with Dinan. They are the ONLY company that will back you up in the scenario that you have an issue and the dealership fingers gets pointed at Dinan.
There are other "piggy back" style harnesses that work well but depends on what your plans are with the car.
BMS's JB4 is a great user friendly tune harness that comes with lots of features as well as the popular CEL delete for catless downpipes.
I can go on..you'll get lots of information regarding what your looking for on this forum.
If you have questions, let us know
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone for the replies! Still waiting for my car to arrive but from my research and forum member feedback I've narrowed down my search to a great power combo deal I came across at N54Tuning.com for down pipes and full JB4 tune.

I did a lot of crazy things to both my E46 and E92 M3's so my plan is to keep at stock as much as possible while getting a nice power bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
A Frankfurt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: German

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies! Still waiting for my car to arrive but from my research and forum member feedback I've narrowed down my search to a great power combo deal I came across at N54Tuning.com for down pipes and full JB4 tune.

I did a lot of crazy things to both my E46 and E92 M3's so my plan is to keep at stock as much as possible while getting a nice power bump.
I purchase all my clients BMS and ER products from Mike@N54tuning
Great support from him and very knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #14
abuimad
Private First Class
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2015 Austin Yellow BMW M4

Its been said over and over again, JB4 is great value for money, and provides a great bump coupled with downpipes, I've gone this route and imo the difference was night and day, I'm now going with BMS meth injection and BMS filters (the latter being for the sound alone)

however, one of my best mods, that improved by acceleration and handling (according to my butt dyno and a few races between friends) are semi slick tires ... my M4 was limited by traction, didn't matter if I had 400 or 4000 hp, my car kept spinning, the toyo's put an end (somewhat) to that

happy modding
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autohaus Frankfurt View Post
I purchase all my clients BMS and ER products from Mike@N54tuning
Great support from him and very knowledgeable.
Thanks for the support

Mike
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I would run the car stock for awhile first and then reassess your priorities. Traction is definitely an issue.

My priorities after a year+ are:
1. reprogram the e-nannies
2. M Performance suspension
3. Weight reduction. This is really hard.

Everything on hold contingent on whether I sell my M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #17
DarksideM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I agree the JB4 and DPs are the best bang for your buck with the most configuration options along with nice features like the Cel delete, ASD mute, Angel, CAN Bus exhaust valves control. Throw some E85 and map 7 and you're killing stock GTRs easy. Traction is an issue for sure if you have it in full DSC on or off and stock treads. I have euro MDM and have it on 100% of the time and it's a decent compromise until you want to switch sticker tires.

+1 for n54tunning.com got all my parts performance parts there, great service and prices.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #18
9SECDD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Blk on Blk, DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuimad View Post
Its been said over and over again, JB4 is great value for money, and provides a great bump coupled with downpipes, I've gone this route and imo the difference was night and day, I'm now going with BMS meth injection and BMS filters (the latter being for the sound alone)

however, one of my best mods, that improved by acceleration and handling (according to my butt dyno and a few races between friends) are semi slick tires ... my M4 was limited by traction, didn't matter if I had 400 or 4000 hp, my car kept spinning, the toyo's put an end (somewhat) to that

happy modding
Good advice on traction. Also agree it's a major issue when you add performance mods like JB4. Upgrading size and stickiness of tires a must.
2015 F82 DCT M4. Max PSI Built Motor, Ported head, Full Bolt Ons, Upgraded fuel system, Motiv Reflex and flex hardware for flex fuel, Max PSI Crank Hub Fix, Pure PS2+ Turbos, SSP Spec X clutch, xHP Trans Flash, DSS Axles. Custom Ecutek tune by Ian @bend calibration. 780whp & 700+ ft lbs torque, 18" HRE R101s.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:09 PM   #19
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-M4 View Post
Good advice on traction. Also agree it's a major issue when you add performance mods like JB4. Upgrading size and stickiness of tires a must.
Honestly, I limit boost to stock levels in 1st and 2nd gear and then map 2 kicks in when I hit third gear. It really helps with traction. I can still break the rear tires loose while rolling on the throttle in second gear on stock boost and just on the edge of loosing traction in third gear on map 2 boost levels. It's a perfect combination on the stock PSS tires. I've found this setup to be the fastest on the stock tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #20
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

From what I've gathered after reading numerous threads, here what's the best bang for the buck if you're looking to increase your whp:

1. JB4
2. Downpipes
3. BMC or K&N air filters
4. E85 Fuel/ 91 Octane mixture & Map 2 or Map 7

Intake and exhaust (according to most) have yet to prove any real HP improvements.

Tires and suspension will make a big difference on stability and getting all the power to the ground. Right now I'm running on 295/19/30 on Yokohama Neova and they seem to stick fairly well.
      11-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep

What wheel/tire combo's are folks using when running downpipes with tune? I'm currently in discussions with Apex regarding buying 18" wheels from their group-buy (18x10 front and 18x11 rear) and 19" wheels (19x10 squared).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #22
qspring
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
What wheel/tire combo's are folks using when running downpipes with tune? I'm currently in discussions with Apex regarding buying 18" wheels from their group-buy (18x10 front and 18x11 rear) and 19" wheels (19x10 squared).
No downpipes yet, but here's my set-up.

Rims: BBS FI-R, 19x10.5 Rear, 19, 9.5 Front
Tires: Yokohama Neova
Front: 265/35/19
Rear: 295/30/19

When my rear tires need replacing, I will most likely go with a wider tire (305) in the rear.