BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-05-2024, 01:54 PM   #1
assa8945
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m760

How reliable is 2018 m760

Hi guys, we are considering buying a 2018 m760 that has 45k miles.

We wonder how reliable is this car. I know its V12 is very reliable and has no leaking or burning oil issues.

The car has recently replaced a radiator and spark plugs.

What else can go wrong with this car in the long run?
Any expected cost for it?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 07:07 PM   #2
R.Bernoulli
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 750Li xDrive

Here are a few things you should definitely check…

My 2017 750i has 73k miles. I just bought it a few weeks ago.
It’s pristine - but the BMW dealership discovered a few critical things to get fixed.
- turbo wastegate actuator needed replacing
- all engine software needed to be updated to 2024.
- front bushings were cracked and leaking
- drivetrain flex disc was cracked and about to fail

Each item is critical and I decided to get it all done.
$6,300
Pricey but I am assured the car is now basically new.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 09:44 PM   #3
Derived
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

My M760 has been extremely reliable over the last 20k miles, drivetrain should be bulletproof.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 11:40 PM   #4
assa8945
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m760

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Bernoulli View Post
Here are a few things you should definitely check…

My 2017 750i has 73k miles. I just bought it a few weeks ago.
It’s pristine - but the BMW dealership discovered a few critical things to get fixed.
- turbo wastegate actuator needed replacing
- all engine software needed to be updated to 2024.
- front bushings were cracked and leaking
- drivetrain flex disc was cracked and about to fail

Each item is critical and I decided to get it all done.
$6,300
Pricey but I am assured the car is now basically new.
Thank you for your valuable info.
I wonder if $6300 is a quote from the dealer or a third-party shop. The cost is usually doubled from dealers as compared to outside.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 04:22 AM   #5
R.Bernoulli
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 750Li xDrive

Yeah the $6300 cost was definitely steep and absolutely a dealer cost. No third party involved.
Having just started with this purchase, I wanted to be sure the dealer service was done properly so I opted to pay for a clean slate. Especially since it’s a 2017 with moderate miles (73k).
Apparently these items are not uncommon to fail or need attention at this mile-mark for the G12.
I’m certainly not an expert - but I’m guessing your 2018 with 45k should be fine for quite a while.

Enjoy your car! All the best.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 09:48 AM   #6
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I’ve had nothing that involved the V12 engine.

Front drive shafts, air suspension struts, rear tablet, TV Tuner, aircon regas twice, lower grill and camera cover fading. I think the aircon doesn’t like the car being sat for long. It’s been tested for leaks.

Climate panel display delaminates. Common.

Needed a new sump due to mechanic cross threading the sump plug.

Active grill shutters are problematic, but mine seem ok.

35k miles on the car, 28k are mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 04:18 PM   #7
m760iM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, F10 M5

My 2017 has seemed reliable. The only thing to fail was cooling system related. I had some coolant tubes replaced and then the radiator. This engine runs hot and puts strain on the entire cooling system. I'm in CA and the 2nd owner of my 2017. I believe that the first owner was in AZ and I bought the car from BMW of Las Vegas a few years ago. Since you live in a hot climate, I'd drive it less in the summer and daily it year around otherwise. It's my impression after owning the car for a few years that the downfall of my particular G12 V12 will be due to heat. The engine produces a lot of heat and I live in a hot area, today it's 110 degrees where I'm at. I'll probably have to replace various coolant hoses, the ones that are lower can be expensive due to having to remove some of the top of the engine, per what the dealer told me. Eventually, another radiator will need to be replaced. I will comment that under hot climate temperatures, the engine always stays in the good temp range, I do believe that the parts are taking a little more wear and tear in hot climates though.

Otherwise, with regular maintenance of the oil and ignition components, the engine should be awesome.

I've learned to not try and drive it around like it's an M5. In sport mode, the car asks for it. Performance wise, it's pretty awesome, but you can do pretty much the same with a G12 LCI 750. With as pricey as everything is on this model, I'd rather not deteriorate the car at a faster rate. It's best to cruise the car since it's effortless, and just enjoy the smoothness and looks of the car.

If you have an opportunity to get a warranty plan, just get it. Mine was about 6k with a 500 deductible and for 3 years from my purchase. Not that outstanding of a deal, but some peace of mind with catastrophic issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 10:28 AM   #8
edojac
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 M760Li

Garage List
I had 2 very costly issues and repairs for my 2018 M760i.
1. Transfer case - it was slipping. The car has less than 50k miles but the transfer case had to be changed. Total 8.5k USD+ tax
2. A/C evaporator leak. A ca. 10k USD repair. This part should never break. But it did...

Other things, my car had the battery changed at least 3 times..

I now hope I will surprised by the reliability of this car going forward...
Appreciate 0