BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-12-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Dealer Updated the Firmware of my 2016 750i

I managed to get my dealer to update the car firmware to the latest one. They had the vehicle on Tuesday for about five hours to get it programmed. When I picked it up, I noticed that the real-time traffic data is no longer there, no News or Weather information and other functions that I had on the vehicle when I picked it up last Friday.

I brought the car back to them yesterday, the service manager checked it himself and noticed the version on the MAPS is 2015 which means the car is not receiving any push MAP updates! Towards the end of the day, I received a call from my advisor asking me to leave it with them for another day as they are trying to figure out how to get these features back. She advised that they are working with BMW ConnectedDrive team to get to the bottom of this issue.

Any ideas what might have happened and why I lost all of these features?

On the positive side, I have a 2019 330i loaner with the new iDrive. I have to say I like more the iDrive/Dash that I have in the 750i than the new one! One feature to note on the 330 which I like, is when you approach the car the lights flashes but does not unlock unless you touch the door handle. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #2
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
I managed to get my dealer to update the car firmware to the latest one. They had the vehicle on Tuesday for about five hours to get it programmed. When I picked it up, I noticed that the real-time traffic data is no longer there, no News or Weather information and other functions that I had on the vehicle when I picked it up last Friday.

I brought the car back to them yesterday, the service manager checked it himself and noticed the version on the MAPS is 2015 which means the car is not receiving any push MAP updates! Towards the end of the day, I received a call from my advisor asking me to leave it with them for another day as they are trying to figure out how to get these features back. She advised that they are working with BMW ConnectedDrive team to get to the bottom of this issue.

Any ideas what might have happened and why I lost all of these features?

On the positive side, I have a 2019 330i loaner with the new iDrive. I have to say I like more the iDrive/Dash that I have in the 750i than the new one! One feature to note on the 330 which I like, is when you approach the car the lights flashes but does not unlock unless you touch the door handle. Thanks
You mean weather and news are completely gone from the menu or just blanked out? Make sure those items were checkboxed in Connected Drive menu to appear on the desktop.
Software update is only for the Evo system (Telephone, Media and Navi) and does NOT affect the base map date (your map basis will always reflect whatever version it was equipped when produced, unless you update it with new map data, which BMW doesn't do). You can go into Connected Drive account setting and pick your region, and the system will automatically update the maps in that region (the it will take awhile get to 2019-2, because it has to go through each update sequentially, eg. 2015-4, 2016-1, 2016-2, etc). BTW, what's the latest version of the software?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #3
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Weather, News are gone completely from the iDrive menu. If I enter a destination on the iDrive, there are no traffic data available and will not give alternate route to avoid traffic as it did before the firmware update. This firmware update is not the software update that one downloads from BMW ConnectedDrive to update the media. This is an update for the ECU. I will let you know the version when I get the car today assuming the dealer is done with it.

Under what section can I find the version number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
You mean weather and news are completely gone from the menu or just blanked out? Make sure those items were checkboxed in Connected Drive menu to appear on the desktop.
Software update is only for the Evo system (Telephone, Media and Navi) and does NOT affect the base map date (your map basis will always reflect whatever version it was equipped when produced, unless you update it with new map data, which BMW doesn't do). You can go into Connected Drive account setting and pick your region, and the system will automatically update the maps in that region (the it will take awhile get to 2019-2, because it has to go through each update sequentially, eg. 2015-4, 2016-1, 2016-2, etc). BTW, what's the latest version of the software?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Weather, News are gone completely from the iDrive menu. If I enter a destination on the iDrive, there are no traffic data available and will not give alternate route to avoid traffic as it did before the firmware update. This firmware update is not the software update that one downloads from BMW ConnectedDrive to update the media. This is an update for the ECU. I will let you know the version when I get the car today assuming the dealer is done with it.

Under what section can I find the version number?
I think RealTime traffic requires active ConnectedDrive subscription, but since G11/12 didn't arrive until Aug 2015, you should still have ConnectedDrive.

iDrive Setting>Update software>Current version--just below VIN you will find Telephone (TB) and Media (MB) software version; and also in the Navi/Map update section you will find the NBTevo version (just above where it says automatic map update). My 2016 750 has TB- and MB-006.027.001 and NBTevo P183621. The NBTevo version is the most important one, as CarPlay and FS both depend on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
iD7 had the more advanced Comfort Access where the car locks and unlocks automatically as you walk away from and toward the vehicle, respectively. Too bad iD6 couldn't be coded for that function.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I picked up the car this afternoon, dealer advise the reason I lost the real-time traffic data, news and weather is because it was still running under the previous owner and once they've update the software I lost it so I have to subscribe for it if I want it!

I've read on this forum that BMW automatically pushes the map updates, when I check the map version, mine is still 2015 so I'm missing four updates and nothing changed after the dealer updated the firmware. Any ideas how to get the map updates?

Here's the latest software version that I have:

MB/TB-006.032.012
NBTevo Q184911

@jilin101, what is FS?

Quote:
I think RealTime traffic requires active ConnectedDrive subscription, but since G11/12 didn't arrive until Aug 2015, you should still have ConnectedDrive.

iDrive Setting>Update software>Current version--just below VIN you will find Telephone (TB) and Media (MB) software version; and also in the Navi/Map update section you will find the NBTevo version (just above where it says automatic map update). My 2016 750 has TB- and MB-006.027.001 and NBTevo P183621. The NBTevo version is the most important one, as CarPlay and FS both depend on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #7
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I really don't like the new instrument cluster on the loaner that I had. The current instrument cluster looks way better than the iD7!

My own opinion!

Quote:
iD7 had the more advanced Comfort Access where the car locks and unlocks automatically as you walk away from and toward the vehicle, respectively. Too bad iD6 couldn't be coded for that function.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I picked up the car this afternoon, dealer advise the reason I lost the real-time traffic data, news and weather is because it was still running under the previous owner and once they've update the software I lost it so I have to subscribe for it if I want it!

I've read on this forum that BMW automatically pushes the map updates, when I check the map version, mine is still 2015 so I'm missing four updates and nothing changed after the dealer updated the firmware. Any ideas how to get the map updates?

Here's the latest software version that I have:

MB/TB-006.032.012
NBTevo Q184911

@jilin101, what is FS?
FS is full-screen, pertaining to Apple CarPlay if you decide to get it. By default, ID 5/6 CarPlay is split screen, but many people prefer being able to use the entire screen for Apple/Google/Waze maps.

In order for you to update your map, you need to create a Connected Drive account and add the VIN to your vehicles. Once you create the account, you can set your region for map update (you get 4 years (from the date of the original sale) of free over-the-air map update ). To get the map updates, you must also go into Connected Drive in your vehicle and log into the account.

I would also recommend you download the Connected Drive app to your smart phone, from which you can search destination and send it to your vehicle (instead of using the iDrive controller)--this does not require an active subscription as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #9
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Hi jilin101,

Thanks for your comment, I created an account on BMW ConnectedDrive the day I received the vehicle and downloaded the app on the my phone. Under what section in the iDrive I need to sign-in? I cannot find it! The other thing I noticed from day 1 when I installed and configured the app, if I try to trigger a function like the horn as an example, it never works, the app would state "sending to vehicle" for quite sometime and then I see failed. Thanks

Quote:
FS is full-screen, pertaining to Apple CarPlay if you decide to get it. By default, ID 5/6 CarPlay is split screen, but many people prefer being able to use the entire screen for Apple/Google/Waze maps.

In order for you to update your map, you need to create a Connected Drive account and add the VIN to your vehicles. Once you create the account, you can set your region for map update (you get 4 years (from the date of the original sale) of free over-the-air map update ). To get the map updates, you must also go into Connected Drive in your vehicle and log into the account.

I would also recommend you download the Connected Drive app to your smart phone, from which you can search destination and send it to your vehicle (instead of using the iDrive controller)--this does not require an active subscription as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't remember the exact steps anymore, but there're multiple ways to add the vehicle (VIN) to your ConnectedDrive account:
1. Using PC/browser/connecteddrive website;
2. ConnectedDrive app on smartphone;
3. iDrive in car: ConnectdedDrive>ConnectedDrive Store, etc.

The remote functions on the app don't work until the car itself is signed into CD. In addition, the command takes 30-60 s to take place, unlike a TV remote.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't remember the exact steps anymore, but there're multiple ways to add the vehicle (VIN) to your ConnectedDrive account:
1. Using PC/browser/connecteddrive website;
2. ConnectedDrive app on smartphone;
3. iDrive in car: ConnectdedDrive>ConnectedDrive Store, etc.

The remote functions on the app don't work until the car itself is signed into CD. In addition, the command takes 30-60 s to take place, unlike a TV remote.
The VIN is already added and I can see my car on the ConmectedDrive app and via a PC but I cannot see the log-in part in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #12
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The VIN is already added and I can see my car on the ConmectedDrive app and via a PC but I cannot see the log-in part in the iDrive.
I may be wrong about the specifics of logging-in in the car. Go to the car, in iD/ConnectedDrive/CD Store; if you can access the CD account and see all your subscribed services, then the vehicle is already connected.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #13
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I do see all of my services. This is really strange that the map version is 2015 and the vehicle did not get any updates all these years. I will contact ConnectedDrive support tomorrow and see what is going on!

Quote:
I may be wrong about the specifics of logging-in in the car. Go to the car, in iD/ConnectedDrive/CD Store; if you can access the CD account and see all your subscribed services, then the vehicle is already connected.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #14
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I do see all of my services. This is really strange that the map version is 2015 and the vehicle did not get any updates all these years. I will contact ConnectedDrive support tomorrow and see what is going on!
go into CD account setting and make sure the map region preference is set correctly and that map update subscription is active.
The map data base (the one the car was equipped when produced) does not change at all, only regional updates are added OTA when available. The most current update is 2019-2.

If you're interested in updating the entire map, you have to get it on a USB (either purchase from dealership or ebay) with a valid FSC code (must get the EVO version). Don't bother looking for free EVO map downloads--there's none.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #15
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Here's the latest update. I spoke to support at ConnectedDrive to find out why I'm not get the pushed maps update. I was told that I need to get the dealer to update them for a fee. The guy I was talking to would not give me a straight answer on why I'm not getting the updates through the push service and why I'm on version 2015-4. I even told him that members on this board are receiving these updates regularly without visiting the dealer!

Any thoughts on this issue? Please keep in mind, I'm in Canada...

Quote:
go into CD account setting and make sure the map region preference is set correctly and that map update subscription is active.
The map data base (the one the car was equipped when produced) does not change at all, only regional updates are added OTA when available. The most current update is 2019-2.

If you're interested in updating the entire map, you have to get it on a USB (either purchase from dealership or ebay) with a valid FSC code (must get the EVO version). Don't bother looking for free EVO map downloads--there's none.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Here's the latest update. I spoke to support at ConnectedDrive to find out why I'm not get the pushed maps update. I was told that I need to get the dealer to update them for a fee. The guy I was talking to would not give me a straight answer on why I'm not getting the updates through the push service and why I'm on version 2015-4. I even told him that members on this board are receiving these updates regularly without visiting the dealer!

Maybe the updates are free to the original owner only? Not familiar with the Canada BMW rules. My maps have updated only infrequently and you can get the latest maps and the code necessary without going through a dealer. If my memory is right, the last time I did a full update it was $50.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

in CD do you see the expiration date of Automatic Map Update? I don't know about Canada, but in the US owners are allowed to designate a region for map update ONCE. My '16 750 (which came with 2015-3 base map) had 2016-1 Alabama area update when I bought it 5 wks ago. I changed the map region to my area, and within the next 5 days it sequentially updated to 2019-2 (the base map remained unchanged of course).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:20 AM   #18
sdy12318
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i xDrive

Hi I'm also interested in software update. How much you paid for software update?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 05:14 AM   #19
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I didn't pay for the software update as it was negotiated during my deal. Most likely the dealer charged BMW for it as a service call because they brought me in after I picked up the vehicle to do this job and I remember I signed a worksheet like the one you sign for when you take the vehicle to service :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdy12318 View Post
Hi I'm also interested in software update. How much you paid for software update?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #20
J0nasH
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d

Hi,
I have a 2016 730d. I think it's from 2016-04 (if the car is manufactured 2016-06 and forward you might have remote update.)
I have to update maps using a USB stick. I first download them to my computer (I have mac) with a special program called BMW Download Manager. Then I transfer the new maps to a USB stick and then plug it in the car. It will automatically start upload them to the car.

I did not buy the car new and all connected services stayed with the car, not previous owner. (I had some issues when BMW updated my car but got help when I called ConnectedDrive.)

Good luck:-)
Appreciate 0