BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-20-2024, 03:42 PM   #1
florinant93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 745Le LCI, 2023 530e LCI

2021 LCI - burnt DRL optics output

One of the DRL's on my friends car suddenly became yellowish and dim so we assumed that one of the LED's burnt out. When we took the module out, we noticed that the LED is working just fine, however it seems to operate at a much higher temperature than normal, causing a massive burn on the fiber optics part of the headlight which spreads the light of the LED. Is that part replaceable by any chance or is he looking at a new headlight? Check attached photos.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #2
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Fiber conductor is not replacable and whole headlight has to be replaced. Or you can get all ghetto on the light and cut out the damage.

This is so common that it must be borderlining on criminal, considering the price of the headlight. I would push hard for goodwill replacement if car is out of warranty.

Appreciate 2
      05-26-2024, 03:41 AM   #3
florinant93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Fiber conductor is not replacable and whole headlight has to be replaced. Or you can get all ghetto on the light and cut out the damage.

This is so common that it must be borderlining on criminal, considering the price of the headlight. I would push hard for goodwill replacement if car is out of warranty.

That's crazy. Car just came out of warranty a few months ago, I think I'll help my friend clean out the burn and polish the fiber conductor. I'm on my 3rd BMW of this generation and luckily did not have any issues with any of mine, but I do see a lot of them on the road with burnt DRL's.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 07:26 AM   #4
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinant93 View Post
That's crazy. Car just came out of warranty a few months ago, I think I'll help my friend clean out the burn and polish the fiber conductor. I'm on my 3rd BMW of this generation and luckily did not have any issues with any of mine, but I do see a lot of them on the road with burnt DRL's.
If it is just out of warranty then chances are good that BMW is willing to pick up the bill. I advise to explore this first and if they refuse then you can always tackle it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2024, 03:42 AM   #5
florinant93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If it is just out of warranty then chances are good that BMW is willing to pick up the bill. I advise to explore this first and if they refuse then you can always tackle it yourself.
He's already bought yellow CS DRL's to replace all of them (not sure how good they'll look on a 7 series), so we'll go with the home repair. Thanks for the tip though!

EDIT: home repair worked 👌
Attached Images

Last edited by florinant93; 05-29-2024 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-03-2024, 05:52 PM   #6
Highline-Autos.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW i8

Quote:
He's already bought yellow CS DRL's to replace all of them (not sure how good they'll look on a 7 series), so we'll go with the home repair. Thanks for the tip though!

EDIT: home repair worked 👌
Those yellow lights and paint color look great together!

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 04:49 PM   #7
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
home repair worked 👌
Glad to see it worked! Did you dremel out the damage or use some other method?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2024, 02:04 PM   #8
skip0524
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i Xdrive

Looks great. I just purchased some blue DRLs. I have a question though. Did you just access and change the module under the hood or did you access and change the module behind the headlight inside the bumper as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2024, 03:47 AM   #9
florinant93
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Glad to see it worked! Did you dremel out the damage or use some other method?
Yep, the damage was dremeled out. There is a small difference in brightness, but you can only tell if you look closely or you already know there was something wrong with the headlight. Otherwise it looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0524 View Post
Looks great. I just purchased some blue DRLs. I have a question though. Did you just access and change the module under the hood or did you access and change the module behind the headlight inside the bumper as well?
Both modules have to be accessed unfortunately, each illuminates a part of the DRL's. There's taking the bumper off way which we didn't want to do and there's accessing the headlight through the arch lining way. Both are a pain in the butt, but it's doable.

These look so good that I decided to change them on my car as well. See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0