BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

06-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Question Any thoughts on this new E-P1?

I have always wanted to get into photography. After playing around with some compacts I think it is now time for my 1st "real" camera. I am considering the new Olympus E-P1. Any thoughts on this new E-P1?

See the description below:

"After a carefully constructed teaser campaign Olympus has officially launched the E-P1, its first Micro Four Thirds camera and the worst kept secret in the photography industry, thanks to a deluge of leaked information ahead of launch. It's a compact mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that mimics the styling of the company's Pen range that was popular in the 1960s and 70s. The camera is built around an image-stabilized 12 megapixel sensor and incorporates a 3.0" LCD. The E-P1 is available with a 14-42mm kit lens that retracts into its barrel when not in use, much like the lens of a compact camera."

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

find a different camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by godora View Post
find a different camera.
why?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
why?
I don't really see the point in getting one over a regular DSLR.
Wouldn't dump that much money on an Olympus either.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
I don't really see the point in getting one over a regular DSLR.
Wouldn't dump that much money on an Olympus either.
the point is I like the retro look and cool features and I don't want a big heavy DSLR. I am not a pro.

what's wrong with Olympus??? they make amongst the best optics in the world!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
rodi
. . .
Rep
Drives: your FACE!

i could definitely see owning one as your "portable."

i can't carry around my 5-ton brick of a camera all the time, but this little guy might be worthy enough for keeping close by. but not with that zoom lens, with the little pancake lens.

i wouldn't choose this camera as your main and first "real" camera though. there are not a lot of lenses for it (maybe two? three or four on the way?). and buying a third-party mount adapter will just add to the bulk of it, thereby killing the thrill of having a second, small and light camera.

most people do not buy into more lenses when they buy an SLR. they stick with the shitty 18-55 kit lens that comes with it. if you see yourself doing this and not buying a real lens (read, budgeting for $800-$2,000 more on lenses), then buy what you want - whether that be because of size and convenience or features.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
ohaywood
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 JB/Saddle E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I would agree with the anti-Olympus guy.. I'm sure it's a decent camera, but even if you're not a "pro" I would still buy an entry-level DSLR. In the end, the value for the money is much better, the versatility level is much higher, and you can take better shots.
      06-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888 View Post
I have always wanted to get into photography. After playing around with some compacts I think it is now time for my 1st "real" camera. I am considering the new Olympus E-P1. Any thoughts on this new E-P1?
Here's a "real" review:
DP Review of E-P1

Ignore the kneejerk naysayers.

It's in keeping with Olympus' tradition of small format cameras with high performance.

I think that if you want a small, but serious camera, you need to look at this and compare it to the Canon G10 (see that review on the same site).

Both have limitations in ultimate resolution due to their small sensor size, BUT they're much more comfortable to carry around. I can only get candids with my big ole, expensive Canon 5D MkII is I'm using a 200 mm lens and hiding behind a bush. With my little G9 (the G10 slightly older brother) I get lots of candids in close quarters. The Olympus should be great in this regard also. Of course, the image quality of the big 5D MkII will knock you out of the chair, but not all people need or want that.

Remember to budget lens when considering.

If you get more serious about photography, like I did, you can upgrade to a larger format camera later.

Dave