BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

04-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Anyone ever buy refurbs?

Some of the nicer Canon lenses are considerably cheaper as refurbs direct from Canon. My initial inclination was to avoid them, but I'm wondering if a refurb that's been cleaned, calibrated, and checked by a qualified tech isn't better than say, a two year-old lens off CL. I saw the 35mm f2 on the refurb list today for less than I paid for mine used. Mine was only a couple months old, though.

Why brings up another question; are the warranties transferable? If I buy a two month-old lens, will Canon still honor the remaining 10 months of warranty?

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 04-01-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

a refurb has to hold up to the same standards as other lenses leaving the factory store.

often, a refurb is just an out of box unit that has been sent back by a store for repackaging. Maybe tested a few times on the shelf by someone looking at lenses.

I wouldn't be scared. As long as a warrantee is offered with the refurb, i would go for it.

too bad you already have one

what other lens do you have your eye on?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
a refurb has to hold up to the same standards as other lenses leaving the factory store.

often, a refurb is just an out of box unit that has been sent back by a store for repackaging. Maybe tested a few times on the shelf by someone looking at lenses.

I wouldn't be scared. As long as a warrantee is offered with the refurb, i would go for it.

too bad you already have one

what other lens do you have your eye on?
I'm lusting after the 24-70mm f2.8L.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I'm lusting after the 24-70mm f2.8L.
I'm very happy with mine, was one of my favorite purchases. However, definitely get a side sling or something to carry your camera with that lens on, it will hurt your neck.

it's also so heavy that it turns your camera face down towards the ground making it awkward to carry too.

but it was well worth the money for me. I picked it up when i had my T1i, it was funny how small the body looked with that lens attached.

only problem you might really run into, the lens is nice and crisp, but as a result of this, it may make you want to upgrade your body to get more out of the lens... And once you buy L, you don't go back.... some call it "L -itis" it's a very expensive disease/condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm very happy with mine, was one of my favorite purchases. However, definitely get a side sling or something to carry your camera with that lens on, it will hurt your neck.

it's also so heavy that it turns your camera face down towards the ground making it awkward to carry too.

but it was well worth the money for me. I picked it up when i had my T1i, it was funny how small the body looked with that lens attached.

only problem you might really run into, the lens is nice and crisp, but as a result of this, it may make you want to upgrade your body to get more out of the lens... And once you buy L, you don't go back.... some call it "L -itis" it's a very expensive disease/condition.
I've been waffling back and forth between getting better glass or upgrading the body. A refurbed 7D isn't too bad and may be worth the extra $$$ over the 60D.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've been waffling back and forth between getting better glass or upgrading the body. A refurbed 7D isn't too bad and may be worth the extra $$$ over the 60D.
the differences between the 2 might not be really worth the extra money.

The 60D is one you will probably have more fun with, it can even do some photo enhancements on the camera where the 7D can't.

the swivel screen is an nice feature, and the auto focus is better then most of the canon line.

the only thing really lacking is the high ISO handling (which isn't that bad compared to the rebel line.) you loose out on 2.5 frames per second of shutter cycles, but that's a smile price to pay for an option you may never use.

it's the same sensor, so the image quality is not far off (7D has two processors which somehow improves things a little but barely enough to justify the price difference)

The 60D takes an SD card, which is a huge benefit as you already have at least one of those, and they fit in most new computers now as opposed to the 7D with the hugely expensive compact flash cards.

don't get me wrong, I really like the 7D, but if you aren't doing sports photography or bird watching, it's uses are limited when compared to the 60D which is alsmost as capable and delivers similar quality shots when used in non sporting and wildlife applications.

My favorite feature that is on both cameras is the external flash control so that you can stick your flash on the other side of the room and still fire it. takes pictures to a whole new level.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

I've bought two Canon factory refurbs over the years. My 500/4 and more recently a 7D through the Canon Loyalty program. The 500 did require an AF calibration (which Canon performed gratis), but was otherwise like new. The 7D was as new. In both cases my savings from retail (or even from the going used prices) were considerable. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Canon refurb again, but I would make sure to put the product through a thorough test soon after purchase as any refurb warrantees are generally only 90 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Just checked prices. The 60D body only refurb is $799 at Canon but comes with $15 shipping and $50 tax for a total of $864. A new 60D body from Amazon is $999 with free shipping and no tax. So $135 between refurb and new.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Here's a tip; if you want to get something like the 60D cheaper, just look at it on Amazon a few days in a row and it will magically appear in your Gold Box Deals for a few bucks less. They knocked $50 off the 60D today in my Gold Box.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Purchased a refurbished vagabond ll, loving it.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 02:10 AM   #11
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I had an excellent 100-400 L that was a re-furb. Saved a bunch of cash and the lens was flawless until I damn near drowned with it I still have it but its toast on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I had an excellent 100-400 L that was a re-furb. Saved a bunch of cash and the lens was flawless until I damn near drowned with it I still have it but its toast on the inside.
i love my 100-400, don't think i could live without it....

I know it spends a lot of it's time in my backpack, but when it comes out, it puts a big smile on my face with the shots it takes. Great for vandid shots from a distance too!

you should see what it would cost for canon to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
i love my 100-400, don't think i could live without it....

I know it spends a lot of it's time in my backpack, but when it comes out, it puts a big smile on my face with the shots it takes. Great for vandid shots from a distance too!

you should see what it would cost for canon to fix it.
I sent it away to Canon and they told me to piss off. Actually, they said it would cost more than the replacement cost, so... I bought a 70-200 II instead. I still miss the reach of that lens though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I sent it away to Canon and they told me to piss off. Actually, they said it would cost more than the replacement cost, so... I bought a 70-200 II instead. I still miss the reach of that lens though.
that sucks

stupid mark up....
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

Canon Loyalty Program
Buy a broken POS for $10 and get a bit more off than refurb pricing. Or if you have a camera and "accidentally" drop it 5 times...
the cameras do change as the bodies come and go. Keep calling in.

The only thing stopping me from refurb is the warranty. :-(
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

if only they still had the 5dmk2 as part of the loyalty program...