BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #221
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Fingers crossed it makes it in time for you 325_bucks. Hopefully your stories of joy will keep me going for a bit longer until mine arrives

With regards to the road trip if you don't get it this weekend. Can they do a first thing in the morning like 8am type pick up and you still get to do your road trip? Or it's just not possible?

They tend to block in a certain amount of time for the handover including going over the car for you. If your like me you've punched your VIN into the mobile phone app and read the manual back to back a few hundred times so you don't need it. So could always suggest you'd be happy with a faster handover if they've got a lot of cars already booked in, see if that sways it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:20 AM   #222
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

No I haven't actually used the app, which app is it?

Update from BMW: Status now at 9660 - Carrier (Autologic), which means it's on a transporter! I guess it will be at the dealers later today or maybe tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #223
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sounds like you might be in with a chance for this weekend after all. Fingers crossed.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bmw-...714042570?mt=8

This is the app. Punch in your VIN and it'll download you the manual tailored to your car, cuts out anything your car isn't equipped with.

Enjoy your bedtime reading

Just chased my car with BMW and it's now at:

5055 - Confirmed by Production Control

So it's locked in and they'll start building it soon.

Last edited by FastLaneJB; 03-06-2018 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 04:48 AM   #224
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Sounds like you might be in with a chance for this weekend after all. Fingers crossed.

This is the app. Punch in your VIN and it'll download you the manual tailored to your car, cuts out anything your car isn't equipped with.

Excellent, it's finally on the move!

And would you believe it, I just had an email from my dealer...

The car has arrived this morning!!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #225
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Quote:

Excellent, it's finally on the move!

And would you believe it, I just had an email from my dealer...

The car has arrived this morning!!
Wow. That's great news, you picking it up first thing Sat so you've the whole weekend to enjoy it?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 05:09 AM   #226
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

The appointment is booked for 10am on Saturday so yeah I’ll have the whole weekend pretty much and should be able to make the trip to the West Midlands to visit my friend the following weekend too. It’s going to be a long wait till Saturday!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #227
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Excellent news ^ glad to hear you’ll get it in time after all! Look forward to your first impressions and thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #228
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I’ll hopefully get some pictures at the dealer but I’ve asked them not to prep it as it’s going to the detailers the following week for 3 days so I don’t know how dirty it will look
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:25 PM   #229
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
^ look forward to the pics and hearing your excitement!

When I click the link FLJB provided it takes me to s US Apple store link, the one I used was this one in case that makes a difference:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bmw-...714042749?mt=8

I also use the BMW Connected app which is useful:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/bmw-...099848339?mt=8

Hope these links now work...

Last edited by Pelo Cat; 03-06-2018 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #230
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Ah my bad on the links. Didn't notice it had sent me to the US store.

325, do you not trust the dealer to prep the car? I'm looking to get a nano coating added by a dealer but hadn't really considered telling the dealer to not do anything to the car. They've already got to remove all the badges off it for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:11 AM   #231
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah my bad on the links. Didn't notice it had sent me to the US store.

325, do you not trust the dealer to prep the car? I'm looking to get a nano coating added by a dealer but hadn't really considered telling the dealer to not do anything to the car. They've already got to remove all the badges off it for me.
Yeah not a chance I would get the dealer to prep it. All they will do is use a dirty sponge to wash it, then put a load of filler polish on to make it look amazing, but as soon as that wears out, you'll see all the holograms or swirls.

I've seen too many horror stories of what dealers have done to paint. My detailer is going to do a light paint correction as part of the detail, before the ceramic coating is applied, but that won't be enough if they inflict too much damage to the paintwork.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #232
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Not long at all now 325_bucks ^ hope the weather improves from the forecast for the weekend...not currently that nice but imagine it won't matter to you as you'll be in the car in any case!

To help with the anticipation, here for the record, 2 more sleeps and what people will see once you get the car on Saturday...a quick view of those lovely icon adaptive headlights very close in their rear view...then just those tail lights and a glimpse of that lovely arse end and dual exhausts as they speed away in the distance!

Enjoy, bring on Saturday!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:18 AM   #233
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

That doesn't look like your short wheel base car is fitting in the parking spaces properly either

Great looking car though, front and back.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:24 AM   #234
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

as we get closer to Saturday, im getting that buyer's remorse that I always get. I should have got a 740 or at least xdrive. Someone convince me that the 730 is ok?! Not FLJB as I'm sure you couldn't imagine going down to something like that!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #235
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
as we get closer to Saturday, im getting that buyer's remorse that I always get. I should have got a 740 or at least xdrive. Someone convince me that the 730 is ok?! Not FLJB as I'm sure you couldn't imagine going down to something like that!
That's just normal. I know exactly what will happen as mine gets closer I'll think the same and be like "What were you thinking, a smaller engine would have done just fine". However you'll get it and be just happy with your choice in the end.

I had a 330d and 335d xDrive in the past so am aware of the difference in those engines from 1 turbo to 2 turbos. I actually ordered the 335d without driving it as it was a new model and non yet available to try. The bhp output is quite a bit higher however once I got it and floored it, it didn't blow my mind. It was quicker but it didn't feel amazingly so.

xDrive is a tricky one. It does give you the ability to just floor it at any speed without worrying about traction. However I suspect a 730d is pretty planted for the weight of the car and power of that engine. The 730d without xDrive was the first 7 I drove back when the G11 just arrived at the dealers, it didn't seem like it had any problems putting the power down. It also felt nippy and relaxed, enough power for the car.

Don't regret it, you've got a lot of cool options on your car. You might have picked the 740d and / or xDrive but then not added some of the options you've got on this one. I'd rather have some of the options that you've picked than the bigger engine / xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:26 AM   #236
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Know the feeling, once you see your car and get in it...you'll be in love and not be thinking about whether this or that any longer.

I think you bought the exact right vehicle for this body to be honest...(I would say that as I also have the 730d and no x drive). The car is not a sports car, I can very much understand the extra power in the 6 as it is a grand touring couple so meant to be faster and sportier. The 7 is all about luxury, and the 265 bhp will keep you well sorted for all traffic in such a large car. The 'smaller' diesel is still very robust and also very frugal, so you'll love the fact that you are swathed in luxury and still have plenty of power when needed but now saving on insurance, road tax, diesel tank ups, repair costs (maybe)...a very intelligent buy in my opinion.

Regarding x drive, while yes, it would be nice to have for the 2 weeks of the year that maybe it is cold enough to warrant it and/or for aqua-planing...as long as you have good tread depth on the summer tires you'll resolve the aqua-planing (or slow the hell down! ) For winter, to be honest, it will be what others do and not how you drive that is the worry, buy some winter tires and use those in Winter and you'll actually be better placed than having x drive for UK conditions. (both in wet and snow). I've seen plenty of reviews that state x drive is nice but they'd get winter tires instead and save the hassle of extra weight, extra maintenance and costs and lower mileage on mpg.

So, if I had to do it all again, I'd still go for the 730d and no x drive if that helps you feel better about your choice, the perfect combination of engine and car for both the heart and mind. Remember you'll soon have a small one as well to think about and you'll not be slinging it around quite the same as one would do in a M5 with kids in the back (or boot!)

I honestly feel that when you have started to drive it on the road and its yours (not a showroom car) and have the extra options you ordered and using them, you'll drive slightly slower than before but with a far bigger smile and smugness as you watch the idiots cut you or others up and trying vainly to get nowhere fast...relax, sit back and enjoy the car for what it is, an outstanding luxury sporty (but not sports) saloon that whisks you to where you want to go with not a care.

If that doesn't help, put it in sports mode and have some fun and you'll still get what you want from the car, the 40 (313 bhp) would be just eating diesel on you in this car and cost more but you'd rarely use it.

Hope that helps, the options do make the car and you are far, far better off having the options you have ordered than the bigger engine or the x drive. (again from experience of having a 730d F01 with no options at first and now having done the same thing as you (spec a higher car but at expense of less tuned motor).

In 2 days this will be a laugh, you'll be well chuffed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:36 AM   #237
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That doesn't look like your short wheel base car is fitting in the parking spaces properly either

Great looking car though, front and back.
Heh, well you're right...the top pic was at a hotel and the car does 'stick out' more even when backed in fully, there is another 7 that is regularly there as well (740 Li model) and they must be crazy as they park closer to the hotel so that every morning I see cars either side of them and think they must need to use the remote parking to drive it out to get in...wouldn't want to think about the door dings...maybe a cricket player as its at the Ageas Bowl Cricket ground.

Bottom pic is from a while back and when I was trying to take some photos in the dark so went to nearby industrial estate and simply parked 'audi' fashion in the middle of a few spots...as everything was closed anyway...

I love the looks of the 7, understated luxury to a T (IMO), and I have to get what pics I can in before you get yours! (I may have some issues with internet access during the first few weeks you get yours so may not be able to see how nice it is )

Won't be long now for you as well...safe travels everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:41 AM   #238
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Know the feeling, once you see your car and get in it...you'll be in love and not be thinking about whether this or that any longer.

I think you bought the exact right vehicle for this body to be honest...(I would say that as I also have the 730d and no x drive). The car is not a sports car, I can very much understand the extra power in the 6 as it is a grand touring couple so meant to be faster and sportier. The 7 is all about luxury, and the 265 bhp will keep you well sorted for all traffic in such a large car. The 'smaller' diesel is still very robust and also very frugal, so you'll love the fact that you are swathed in luxury and still have plenty of power when needed but now saving on insurance, road tax, diesel tank ups, repair costs (maybe)...a very intelligent buy in my opinion.

Regarding x drive, while yes, it would be nice to have for the 2 weeks of the year that maybe it is cold enough to warrant it and/or for aqua-planing...as long as you have good tread depth on the summer tires you'll resolve the aqua-planing (or slow the hell down! ) For winter, to be honest, it will be what others do and not how you drive that is the worry, buy some winter tires and use those in Winter and you'll actually be better placed than having x drive for UK conditions. (both in wet and snow). I've seen plenty of reviews that state x drive is nice but they'd get winter tires instead and save the hassle of extra weight, extra maintenance and costs and lower mileage on mpg.

So, if I had to do it all again, I'd still go for the 730d and no x drive if that helps you feel better about your choice, the perfect combination of engine and car for both the heart and mind. Remember you'll soon have a small one as well to think about and you'll not be slinging it around quite the same as one would do in a M5 with kids in the back (or boot!)

I honestly feel that when you have started to drive it on the road and its yours (not a showroom car) and have the extra options you ordered and using them, you'll drive slightly slower than before but with a far bigger smile and smugness as you watch the idiots cut you or others up and trying vainly to get nowhere fast...relax, sit back and enjoy the car for what it is, an outstanding luxury sporty (but not sports) saloon that whisks you to where you want to go with not a care.

If that doesn't help, put it in sports mode and have some fun and you'll still get what you want from the car, the 40 (313 bhp) would be just eating diesel on you in this car and cost more but you'd rarely use it.

Hope that helps, the options do make the car and you are far, far better off having the options you have ordered than the bigger engine or the x drive. (again from experience of having a 730d F01 with no options at first and now having done the same thing as you (spec a higher car but at expense of less tuned motor).

In 2 days this will be a laugh, you'll be well chuffed.
Yes this helps a lot, thanks. Actually your point about xdrive vs winter tyres is a very good point. I will almost certainly get some for this car as I know how great they are, plus obviously allowing me to drive across to Germany during the winter. And yes I agree the winter tyres would be much more beneficial than xdrive so thanks for reminding me of that.

I guess I specced it quite well so yeah I should have a lot to keep me entertained in luxury, and 265hp is still enough.

Laser lights could have been nice but too late now!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 05:02 AM   #239
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes this helps a lot, thanks. Actually your point about xdrive vs winter tyres is a very good point. I will almost certainly get some for this car as I know how great they are, plus obviously allowing me to drive across to Germany during the winter. And yes I agree the winter tyres would be much more beneficial than xdrive so thanks for reminding me of that.

I guess I specced it quite well so yeah I should have a lot to keep me entertained in luxury, and 265hp is still enough.

Laser lights could have been nice but too late now!
Indeed, the options actually make this car IMO, you'll be well chuffed.

Lasers are nice but you'll rarely get to use them and the ICON adaptive voodoo lights are far and away the main feature which you have. That is really useful, lovely to look at and entertaining. I think the lasers only come on so rarely that if I had to spec another car, I'd easily go without now having had them, but not the ICON adaptive.

Glad the comments helped, winter tires (and an excuse to try another rim with maybe a different size is the way to go for winter conditions to be sure). You'll easily have fun in sports mode and be able to go well enough and break the rear loose when you want but actually get to use more of the power than maybe you'd be able to in the 740d (at least without x drive)...given the wet roads here most of the time and the benefits of the more frugal diesel, wait and watch in comfort as you drive and drive without the need to tank up...

We should do a Top Gear/GT type race with FastLaneJB (John O'Groats to Lands End) as he'd be faster between but need to tank up so much we'd be in with a chance! (and besides there are only 4 Shell garages in the UK, with a 5th planned now due to his purchase!)

A brilliant car, just some last minute nerves! You'll be in love once you have it as you've spec'd it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #240
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Right, all documents signed, car registered on new 18 plate, and all set for Saturday collection!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #241
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Congrats, ^ great choice, bring on Sat.

I'll do what I can regarding the weather but no promises!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #242
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Right, all documents signed, car registered on new 18 plate, and all set for Saturday collection!
One more sleep to go (Or not if your too excited). Know you'll be busy with your new baby but if you get a chance let us know how your first day / weekend goes with the car. A few pics never hurt either

Quote:
Indeed, the options actually make this car IMO, you'll be well chuffed.

Lasers are nice but you'll rarely get to use them and the ICON adaptive voodoo lights are far and away the main feature which you have. That is really useful, lovely to look at and entertaining. I think the lasers only come on so rarely that if I had to spec another car, I'd easily go without now having had them, but not the ICON adaptive.
I think I mentioned this might not be worth it in the UK as they'd rarely come on with out traffic density. You however claimed they came on all the time... How do I get a refund from you for miss representing the product?

In fairness I've ordered night vision too, probably another pointless feature 99.99% of the time but if ever a human / deer was to be picked up at night it only has to work once to probably be worth the money. Mr Wolf's fees are far higher to clean a human out of the paint work

Quote:
Glad the comments helped, winter tires (and an excuse to try another rim with maybe a different size is the way to go for winter conditions to be sure). You'll easily have fun in sports mode and be able to go well enough and break the rear loose when you want but actually get to use more of the power than maybe you'd be able to in the 740d (at least without x drive)...given the wet roads here most of the time and the benefits of the more frugal diesel, wait and watch in comfort as you drive and drive without the need to tank up...
Not looked but was the 740d only available with xDrive? So you pick that your forced to take xDrive as well.

Quote:
We should do a Top Gear/GT type race with FastLaneJB (John O'Groats to Lands End) as he'd be faster between but need to tank up so much we'd be in with a chance! (and besides there are only 4 Shell garages in the UK, with a 5th planned now due to his purchase!)
Probably not faster at all as would be too much traffic so you'd easily be in with a shout of beating me there. That and I don't have the optional stealth paint and number plate delete options to help me with the rozzers

Funny about the Shell garages. I was considering doing the Scotland North Coast 500 route but I'd need to see what the fuel station situation is like as I don't want to get stranded. You guys could make it all the way around on a single tank easily.
Appreciate 0