BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-24-2023, 03:12 AM   #3037
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
god it must suck to live outside the US....

I just did similar 900 mile round trip to Santa Cruz for my sons graduation in our Tesla...zero range anxiety as there are plenty of charging stations to choose from and only had to stop for twice charging which took about 22 minutes tops...just enough time to grab a Starbucks or McDonalds breakfast ...spent a total of $56 in charging for almost 900 mile round trip and the added time was minimal when you time it with eating or stretching the legs. The horrors of road trips in an EV are extremely exagerated, at least in the US
Try that trip in North Dakota in March. And then try it in a non Tesla EV. Not everywhere in the US it is California weather and Tesla charging density. I like to road trip out into West Virginia, which is a 350 mile day. Some of the best roads have no Tesla network or scarce locations at best. Road tripping means driving an unplanned route to explore. ICE-V has no charging issues anywhere I go.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66587.50
      07-24-2023, 03:24 AM   #3038
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow, yeah, looks like the charging network and home charging times in the UK just aren't ready yet....

Our home charger charges at 43 mile an hour, so full charge takes about 5 hours

I always set mine to charge at 1am and its always ready by 5am.
We also have 250kw Tesla super chargers stations that take about 15 minutes to go from 6% to 80% and they are everywhere when you are away from home

Toyota, who is late to the game, just announced some crazy tech that claims 900 mile range and 15 minute charge times....that would be a complete game changer
Yet in late January 2023, just barely a half year ago, Akio Toyoda stepped down as Toyota CEO because he wasn't Woke to EV...

Quite strange.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66587.50
      07-24-2023, 04:24 AM   #3039
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I’m spending the week in Vail and my Tesla is plugged in at home and sitting in my garage. What are the odds my house burns down?
I would not recommend charging an EV or EB inside any garage.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 05:53 AM   #3040
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I would not recommend charging an EV or EB inside any garage.
This has always been a concern with EVs in a residential garage. I was involved in a research project many many years ago concerning this. The project was to determine if charging various EVs in a closed garage would present an explosion hazard due to the hydrogen being off gassed by the battery tech at the time. We had two Geo Metros, a big Ford Econoline passenger van, and the GM Impact (before it was released to the public as the EV1). The sponsors of the research project were PEPCO, EPRI, and BG&E.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18695.50
      07-24-2023, 06:20 AM   #3041
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
yeah, no wonder Rivian is going bankrupt....I'll stick to Tesla
Interesting truck, but honestly this video makes me want an EV even less.
Appreciate 2
zx10guy5475.00
      07-24-2023, 06:48 AM   #3042
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
As a truck owner IMO it ain't a truck if you can't haul a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood or drywall in it.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18695.50
zx10guy5475.00
      07-24-2023, 06:58 AM   #3043
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
As a truck owner IMO it ain't a truck if you can't haul a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood or drywall in it.
Or pull a trailer without cutting your range in half.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh18695.50
zx10guy5475.00
      07-24-2023, 07:03 AM   #3044
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do 2x4 standoffs in the bed (so the sheet clears the wheel arches) count?

Asking for a friend...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5475.00
      07-24-2023, 07:05 AM   #3045
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This has always been a concern with EVs in a residential garage. I was involved in a research project many many years ago concerning this. The project was to determine if charging various EVs in a closed garage would present an explosion hazard due to the hydrogen being off gassed by the battery tech at the time. We had two Geo Metros, a big Ford Econoline passenger van, and the GM Impact (before it was released to the public as the EV1). The sponsors of the research project were PEPCO, EPRI, and BG&E.
Did you get to drive the EV1?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 07:07 AM   #3046
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Or pull a trailer without cutting your range in half.
And then unhook so you can recharge
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #3047
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Did you get to drive the EV1?
I didn't. The head engineer for the project did. It was surreal when they delivered the car. The company I worked for had two homes they bought in a residential neighborhood to do various studies in a "real" home setting. Companies would send products to us for simulation testing. We did testing on various thermostats to hydronic HVAC systems. To simulate people being in the home, we had various incandescent light bulbs and humidifiers that would turn on and off for a period inside the home. The EV cars we tested were loaded up in the garage of one of the homes for testing.

Anyways, when the EV1 was delivered it was at dusk. A big semi rolled up into the neighborhood with Hughes Network Systems plastered all over the side of the trailer. The car was pushed out and immediately pushed into the garage and the garage door was immediately closed. They didn't want any spy shots to be taken of the car. I don't know when the head engineer did the driving to drain the batteries down to do the charge cycle. I drove the other EV cars around to drain the batteries down.

It was cool being a part of something that was cloaked in public secrecy. I have the pics the engineer took of the EV1 sitting around somewhere. They're in slide format so that tells you how far back this was. The charging station was unique too. Looked like a B&O speaker. The charging interface was this paddle that slides into a slot at the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:51 AM   #3048
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
If your house burns down from your EV charging does it damage the climate?
Just asking for a friend.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:08 AM   #3049
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
If your house burns down from your EV charging does it damage the climate?
Just asking for a friend.
Yes, my climate would be dark and angry.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 09:37 AM   #3050
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Where as Rich Benoit documented his trip from NJ to GA and how at certain points on his trip, he had to to scramble to find a charger and the various issues he had with charging his Rivian. He also spent more than $56 for the one charging station he used. And Rich isn't anti EV. Heck he has two repair shops that do EV repairs.

That guy is hilarious. The vid made for a great Seinfeld episode.

I've thought about buying Bolt for a few years now just out of curiosity. Cheap way to get into EV with a decent car. But Rich's video just puts the big clamp on any reason to buy a non-Tesla EV. You can't even mildly road trip one. Sure 90% of the time it would work for me, even running up to N. VA for the day. The 10% I need to recharge away from home? Nah. NFW.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-24-2023 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2023, 09:53 AM   #3051
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I've thought about buying Bolt for a few years now just out of curiosity. Cheap way to get into EV with a decent car. But Rich's video just puts the big clamp on any reason to buy a non-Tesla EV. You can't even mildly road trip one. Sure 90% of the time it would work for me, even running up to N. VA for the day. The 10% I need to recharge away from home? Nah. NFW.
My wife goes to visit her sister and mother every 3 or 4 weeks, it's about 800KM (500M) round trip. She stays with her sister in an apt. building with no chargers on site. There is no way she'd want to make that trip and have to stop to charge.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #3052
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Most of his videos are done that way. He is great at entertaining yet also informing at the same time. Even when he pitches his sponsors, I'll watch through them instead of skipping because he's so entertaining.

You should go back to his older videos where he was working through the whole Tesla landscape. He got famous off of piecing together two junked Model S'. He learned a lot in the process and provided that information to us. His phone calls to Tesla are just drop dead hilarious dealing with trying to order simple parts to dealing with supercharging.

What makes him above many others is the fact he's a true car guy and still appreciates ICE vehicles. Heck he turned the Tesla world upside down when he dropped a V8 into a Model S chassis and showed it off at SEMA.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:17 AM   #3053
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
My wife goes to visit her sister and mother every 3 or 4 weeks, it's about 800KM (500M) round trip. She stays with her sister in an apt. building with no chargers on site. There is no way she'd want to make that trip and have to stop to charge.
Right, because EVERY woman wants to sit alone behind a Wawa for 2 hours waiting to recover range at 34 MPH.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 10:19 AM   #3054
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most of his videos are done that way. He is great at entertaining yet also informing at the same time. Even when he pitches his sponsors, I'll watch through them instead of skipping because he's so entertaining.

You should go back to his older videos where he was working through the whole Tesla landscape. He got famous off of piecing together two junked Model S'. He learned a lot in the process and provided that information to us. His phone calls to Tesla are just drop dead hilarious dealing with trying to order simple parts to dealing with supercharging.

What makes him above many others is the fact he's a true car guy and still appreciates ICE vehicles. Heck he turned the Tesla world upside down when he dropped a V8 into a Model S chassis and showed it off at SEMA.
Can't wait for the ICE ban in Cali, with all those folks who motorcycle tour... I guess by 2035, touring via motorcycle won't be a thing.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #3055
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can't wait for the ICE ban in Cali, with all those folks who motorcycle tour... I guess by 2035, touring via motorcycle won't be a thing.
Will Newsom just turn off the taps at all the gas stations on Jan. 01/2035? I know probably not but if they announced that they would make gas and diesel banned I wouldn't be shocked.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #3056
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
No, because term limits. He's out of things to destroy anyway. But word is he'll be the blue choice insertion for The Crackhouse. I'm gone if he gets in. Gone-gone. Done. Fork it.

Side note:
I just saw Otis Overbite won Miss Netherlands.

I WON'T be moving there. Italy sounds nice.
      07-24-2023, 10:52 AM   #3057
Murf the Surf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
^
No, because term limits. He's out of things to destroy anyway. But word is he'll be the blue choice insertion for The Crackhouse. I'm gone if he gets in. Gone-gone. Done. Fork it.

Side note:
I just saw Otis Overbite won Miss Netherlands.

I WON'T be moving there. Italy sounds nice.
Not to make this political but I heard somewhere that the Dems don't want to run Biden/Harris next go round but it's going to be M.Obama/Newsom.

Interesting times. Meanwhile back to EV's. I guess the question is what's next when 2035 rolls around and there are still millions of ICE vehicles on the roads.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN14229.00
      07-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #3058
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:

I always set mine to charge at 1am and its always ready by 5am.
So you are charging when carbon sources in your grid are at their peak? Is that because you don't care about the climate, or is there some other reason?
Appreciate 0