BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
Remotely into shooting sports? ATA trap shooting is a blast, and with $20k to spend, you can get plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed3 View Post
1. Buy a gun
2. Buy ammo
3. Shoot stuff
4. ????
5. Profit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaneRZ View Post
Go shooting. It will be an expensive hobby but worth it. Got my first handgun, now I have 3. I'm into rifles now, and I have 2. I'm thinking of buying a shotgun once a finish my AR project.
I live in Canada.

I've been looking more into Sailing Catamarans and Windsurfing (maybe even kayaking since it's offered as well) and they look like really fun hobbies to start up. Certainly says a lot about a person! Only unfortunate thing is, the sailing season ends soon so it won't be very practical for me to start this up till around March or April next year. What's the skydiving season like (Blake)?

I guess maybe Snowboarding or Skiing would be another option, as I'm in Canada and Whistler Ski Resort isn't too far away for a weekend thing. Anyone do this hobby?

Btw guys, thanks for all the input and keep up the suggestions. Some of these things I never would have thought of!
      09-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

How about automotive detailing?

You could build up a SICK arsenal of detailing products/polishers for a few thousand dollars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #25
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Golf?

What about doing something with your spouse/ partner?
Talked to my Dad about picking up Golf (because it used to be his hobby) and he says you have to wait too long nowadays on the courses because too many are in the sport. But I've always wanted to ride in a golf cart!

No Spouse or partner. Single life! Which is why I need new hobbies lmfao
      09-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #26
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I love snowboarding. It's so much fun. It's tough to get started though. Go with a friend that really knows how to snowboard. It you don't have one, take lessons. The first year, you'll spend most of the time on your ass lol. Don't get discouraged, we all started off that way. But it also depends on how often you plan on snowboarding. I ride 3-4 times a week. If you plan on going every weekend for the winter, you'll be golden by the end of the first year.

It is quite expensive though. But if you have 20k to blow, you have nothing to worry about. I can help you gear up if you decide to start riding!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #27
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
I love snowboarding. It's so much fun. It's tough to get started though. Go with a friend that really knows how to snowboard. It you don't have one, take lessons. The first year, you'll spend most of the time on your ass lol. Don't get discouraged, we all started off that way. But it also depends on how often you plan on snowboarding. I ride 3-4 times a week. If you plan on going every weekend for the winter, you'll be golden by the end of the first year.

It is quite expensive though. But if you have 20k to blow, you have nothing to worry about. I can help you gear up if you decide to start riding!
I doubt I could practice 3-4 times a week for an entire year. It takes about 2-3 hours to get up to the good ski resorts here so it'd probably be once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks on the weekends. I was asking my friend about snowboarding lessons, he says they're $100 a crack? How long would it take for me to really get the hang of this sport?
      09-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
I doubt I could practice 3-4 times a week for an entire year. It takes about 2-3 hours to get up to the good ski resorts here so it'd probably be once a week, maybe once every 2 weeks on the weekends. I was asking my friend about snowboarding lessons, he says they're $100 a crack? How long would it take for me to really get the hang of this sport?
Yeah, I live 20 minutes away from a resort. It's small but it gets the job done. But once a week or once every two week is good though. Honestly, if your friend snowboards and he's good at it, just have him teach you. That's how I learned, I never took a lesson in my life.

You'll start getting the hang of snowboarding when you put some time into it. Maybe towards the middle or end of your season. It depends on how fast you learn too. I'm just giving you a heads up because I don't want you to think you can jump on a snowboard and start hitting huge jumps or riding crazy steep slopes. Take it easy and make sure you're comfortable with what you're doing. The last thing you want to do is get hurt.

Look into it man. I'm sure you'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Snowboarding is a blast. I live in FL and I'm lucky to get in 3-4 days of boarding a year. I have a heavy skateboarding background so it didn't take but a few hours for me to get into the air a little bit. My wife never did any boarding and she loves carving down the mtns. Just a few grand and you're golden for several seasons.

For the cash you're willing to drop it seems you'll be getting a few new hobbies!

Winter- snowboarding

Summer- mtn biking, kayaking/paddle boarding, sky diving

Year round- Photography
      09-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #30
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

would be my dream personally.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #31
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

I would personally go with an exotic saltwater fish tank with real coral etc. It's just awesome to have a huge tank in your house - your guests would love it!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #32
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
I would personally go with an exotic saltwater fish tank with real coral etc. It's just awesome to have a huge tank in your house - your guests would love it!
Do you have one? This is one of those things that are amazing..but you wouldn't want to own one. I wouldn't recommend going into reef tanks unless you're really into it and have deep pockets; maybe $5-10k at least plus time and labor. Other hobbies may be more expensive but at least they won't die on you.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #33
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Do you have one? This is one of those things that are amazing..but you wouldn't want to own one. I wouldn't recommend going into reef tanks unless you're really into it and have deep pockets; maybe $5-10k at least plus time and labor. Other hobbies may be more expensive but at least they won't die on you.
We have a huge salt water tank in the office where I work. Those things are very very very expensive to maintain, especially since the fish tend to have short lifespans. I'm pretty sure once the cost of maintaining this hobby drains my budget, I'll still have to maintain it.
      09-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #34
mikes4
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Paragliding? I've only ever done a tandem but it was pretty fun. From what I remember you can get a rig and sail for 3k ish. And if you live in BC there shouldn't be any shortage of mountains to launch from/fly around.

I bet if you researched some clubs up there you could probably get a demo ride for free to see if you like it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #35
whyrms
Private
Rep
Drives: foot mobile.

Full contact, no bar hold, karate.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #36
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

with 20k you could have a hell of a weekend with a misc white substance, and women of questionable morals.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #37
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

how about track driving?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #38
xerox445
Damenslip-Tropfer
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
how about track driving?
Yeah, for 20k, you can get 5k in instruction, a 10k race car, and 5k in fees, tires, and spares.

After that its going to be less then 5k a year to race a whole lot of events and have the most fun you can have, with your clothes on. Srsly.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #39
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Watch restoration.
Welding
Motorcycling (I know, I know... But it's not going to happen to you)
Professional karting
NRA Bianchi Cup (shooting)
Bass guitar
Tattooing
Photography
Track driving / riding
Cooking

Blow all that shit on strip clubs, hookers, and coke.
      09-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #40
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Pick up a nice road bike. I recently took it up and have been having a blast! Also, reef aquariums are not as complicated to maintain as some are making them sound. Initial setup is costly depending on the hardware and size but keeping them up and running really isn't bad. It was probably the best/most rewarding hobby I've had.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #41
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
No I don't have one, but I do have a 55gal tank of fresh water fish
That I started out with. Saltwater coral reef is next for that tank, but the damn fish won't die lol. I may end up taking them to a pet store. I know it's expensive and a lot of work, but the op asked for a hobby and it is actually very relaxing when your having a rough day. Plus he said hE had 20k to spend on this hobby lol
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #42
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Here is some ideas that I do personally

1. Mod your car, Work on the Car, Car meets Etc
2. Scuba Diving
3. Kayaking
4. Shooting
5. Skimboarding/Surfing
6. Wake boarding
7. Photography
8. Shifter Carts (I don't own one but wish I did)

I am looking into getting into Power Para-gliding as well as buying a new boat.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #43
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Making home-brew? I'm going to start.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #44
Andrew@ET
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Red thing

Well I've been racing sailboats since the age of 6 Excellent Hobby! Other fun hobbies I have Scuba diving, Jetski,Mountain biking, kayaking, Rc helicopters ,Aquariums, Motorcycling, wake boarding,Photography and a couple other small ones.

Jetski Brand new honda turbo 3 seater Paid 7200 Out the door + 300 for tune.
Appreciate 0