BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

11-14-2023, 06:01 PM   #23
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanwal View Post
Truly the worst customer furstrating experience. I have spend a month with countless hours on phone and email with AT&T / BMW Genius and other teams to resolve this. This has never worked and is by far a total failure on their collective parts. I have asked for a refund and canceled my account, will try again. Don't even get me started on the X5e50 continued issues !

Do you have another phone number besides the one you’re trying to tie it to? Maybe try a different line.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:55 PM   #24
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanwal View Post
Truly the worst customer furstrating experience. I have spend a month with countless hours on phone and email with AT&T / BMW Genius and other teams to resolve this. This has never worked and is by far a total failure on their collective parts. I have asked for a refund and canceled my account, will try again. Don't even get me started on the X5e50 continued issues !
I am having similar feelings. I had huge problems until ID 8.5, which I would say was about 90% effective having the ATT SIM connect when starting up. Last week there was a further OTA of 8.5 which seems to have broken the esim again, though I did get it back after 2 long-press (70 sec) resets of ID. If it goes out again, I think I will cancel it also. I got it for poor reception areas and for calls without your phone but I can also manage quite nicely without it. Because it has varied in its reliability along with the I-Drive that is installed, I believe the problem is with BMW and not ATT. But it is impossible to know that for sure and neither company seems to have anybody who can solve esim issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 10:36 AM   #25
Kanwal
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e

Garage List
2023 X5e50  [0.00]
2013 M5  [1.75]
No the same phone checked multiple times with AT&T. The eSIM number they give you is for the WiFi plan. Neither work. I cancelled the service and will try updating and reinstalling aka starting from scratch one last time. It would be a good feature to have. Will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 10:39 AM   #26
Kanwal
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e

Garage List
2023 X5e50  [0.00]
2013 M5  [1.75]
Yep, it would be a nice feature to have it’s like the Apple Watch its there when you need it. Would love that implementation simplicity for BMW. I have tried almost every option, BT, AirPlay, Reinstall, Software updates, etc….. just can’t waste time and money for an issue that I paid handsomely to BMW and monthly $20 to AT&T
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #27
2024BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 760ixdrive

Angry 2024 760i problems with internet

I have the brand new "Ultimate Driving Machine" 2024 760i xDrive, with a whopping $146,745 sticker and after 3 months I still can't use the wifi hot spot or the rear entertainment package, that they charge $7,250 for!
I reached out to the US BMW CEO and he was kind enough to pass it to an assistant and she has been kind enough to pass it to IT and they have been kind enough to hand it to the local dealer and he was kind enough to pass it on to AT&T, who is looking for someone to be kind enough to so they can pass it on as well.
In the meantime the problem still exists, and I have hours wasted. I see other people have had similar challenges and even on yesterday's conference call with 18 people from both companies they said another problem just like mine had come in.
I am beyond mad and would warn everyone at a minimum don't buy these options and you might even want to look at other brands.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2023, 03:30 AM   #28
rollingtaser
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2024BMW View Post
I have the brand new "Ultimate Driving Machine" 2024 760i xDrive, with a whopping $146,745 sticker and after 3 months I still can't use the wifi hot spot or the rear entertainment package, that they charge $7,250 for!
I reached out to the US BMW CEO and he was kind enough to pass it to an assistant and she has been kind enough to pass it to IT and they have been kind enough to hand it to the local dealer and he was kind enough to pass it on to AT&T, who is looking for someone to be kind enough to so they can pass it on as well.
In the meantime the problem still exists, and I have hours wasted. I see other people have had similar challenges and even on yesterday's conference call with 18 people from both companies they said another problem just like mine had come in.
I am beyond mad and would warn everyone at a minimum don't buy these options and you might even want to look at other brands.
similar here...

they are now going to change the head unit and the esim reader... for me neither telephony nor data is working.

unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:30 PM   #29
renzo36
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw i7 E50

Garage List
2024 BMW i7 E50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Did you ever get this resolved?
Following… brand new 2024 i7.. cant get esim working.. t mobile prompts i have too many lines…( which i dont)..genious are all lost.. tv is basically useless
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 08:51 AM   #30
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2024BMW View Post
Not sure about your state laws, but at some point you get to give it back to them and can order a new one.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:22 AM   #31
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post
Not sure about your state laws, but at some point you get to give it back to them and can order a new one.
I sincerely doubt that a lemon law would apply to a feature like esim, where it is not an extra cost option and where the cost is in the control of the user, who can cancel at any time. I say this as a dissatisfied esim user myself. The issue I have is its inconsistent connection. In any event, since esim issues seem to be common, ordering a new car would not necessarily cure the problem.

The biggest frustration is that the carriers (ATT in my case) and BMW seem to have absolutely nobody who knows enough about esim to help someone having issues. But fundamentally, it seems to be a BMW software issue (at least for me) as resetting idrive reestablishes a lost esim connection. ID 8.5 is also much better than ID 8 was on keeping the connection. That says to me it is a BMW software problem that they have so far been unable to correct. But this does not affect driveability or safety in any way so lemon law would almost surely not apply. Maybe some states are more liberal about declaring a lemon, but as noted even then you could end up with a new car and the same problem. Thats not worth the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:31 AM   #32
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I sincerely doubt that a lemon law would apply to a feature like esim, where it is not an extra cost option and where the cost is in the control of the user, who can cancel at any time. I say this as a dissatisfied esim user myself. The issue I have is its inconsistent connection. In any event, since esim issues seem to be common, ordering a new car would not necessarily cure the problem.

The biggest frustration is that the carriers (ATT in my case) and BMW seem to have absolutely nobody who knows enough about esim to help someone having issues. But fundamentally, it seems to be a BMW software issue (at least for me) as resetting idrive reestablishes a lost esim connection. ID 8.5 is also much better than ID 8 was on keeping the connection. That says to me it is a BMW software problem that they have so far been unable to correct. But this does not affect driveability or safety in any way so lemon law would almost surely not apply. Maybe some states are more liberal about declaring a lemon, but as noted even then you could end up with a new car and the same problem. Thats not worth the hassle.
It depends on your state. In Texas, it would, from my experiences, be covered. Depending on the issue, the timeframes and thresholds are different, but eventually, they are all covered. Basically, in Texas, no matter what the issue so long as its not cosmetic, if you keep taking the car in, and they have it for 30 days in total, and can't fix the issue, its a Lemon.

I got a brand new Porsche Taycan when they came out, and it had lots of issues with all sorts of alarms, wifi and other issues that they could not fix. None of the issues were life safety. Porsche corporate looked at my case after the 30 days and said it did qualify under Texas law, and I got a new car.

Of course, if there was an eSim issue that was carrier induced, of course, that would not be covered.

I agree, that in the case of the eSim, these issues do appear to be company wide, and ordering a new car would probably not help. In my case with the Taycan, there were a lot of cars initially with issues, but also many without. My new car, granted one model year later, was without issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 09:46 AM   #33
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Texas law says "The defect persists and substantially impairs the vehicle’s use or market value, or creates a serious safety hazard". That would apply to the issues in the Taycan.

Esim is a huge frustration for many of us, and a huge disappointment that BMW continues not to know what to do about it, but I just cannot see it rise to the level of lemoning a car. Since you can still use your phone and it is only a matter of how it connects, there is likely no "substantial impairment".(I am a retired attorney; I've never had a lemon law case; I just looked up Texas law).

They ought to issue a rebate to all of us who who have signed up for esim and had continuing issues. But they won't.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 01-21-2024 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
LVBMW2365.50
      01-31-2024, 09:43 PM   #34
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 740xi

I'm confused about the esim phone number. I have it setup on my T-Mobile plan and it is linked to my main T-Mobile number. However T-Mobile has provided me with another number for the esim, and BMW has listed yet another number on the mybmw site (but that one clearly has a disclaimer that you cannot call the car with the number). When I call either of the additional numbers they say the call cannot be completed as dialed.

Here's where it gets more strange. When my phone is connected to the esim WiFi hotspot, and I go to make a call from the car it says calling via esim. That's fine and it uses the cars antenna to boost the signal which is cool. (You can also elect to turn this off in the settings where it doesn't use esim to make phone calls).

However when the phone is not in the car, I cannot make a call just using the esim. Which is the strange part because people have said they could make calls without a phone. And I know for example you can call people from a cellular smart watch (which is linked to your phones plan) in a similar fashion. Am I doing something wrong that I can't call the cars number or that I can't make calls from the esim when my phone is not in the car? Or am I misunderstanding.

For what it's worth, the esim is set up correctly and working as I have access to YouTube and when phones are connected to the hotspot they are lightning fast.

Last edited by Ice4life; 01-31-2024 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:10 PM   #35
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice4life View Post
I'm confused about the esim phone number. I have it setup on my T-Mobile plan and it is linked to my main T-Mobile number. However T-Mobile has provided me with another number for the esim, and BMW has listed yet another number on the mybmw site (but that one clearly has a disclaimer that you cannot call the car with the number). When I call either of the additional numbers they say the call cannot be completed as dialed.

Here's where it gets more strange. When my phone is connected to the esim WiFi hotspot, and I go to make a call from the car it says calling via esim. That's fine and it uses the cars antenna to boost the signal which is cool. (You can also elect to turn this off in the settings where it doesn't use esim to make phone calls).

However when the phone is not in the car, I cannot make a call just using the esim. Which is the strange part because people have said they could make calls without a phone. And I know for example you can call people from a cellular smart watch (which is linked to your phones plan) in a similar fashion. Am I doing something wrong that I can't call the cars number or that I can't make calls from the esim when my phone is not in the car? Or am I misunderstanding.

For what it's worth, the esim is set up correctly and working as I have access to YouTube and when phones are connected to the hotspot they are lightning fast.
You only have one working number, which is your main number. The other number from T-Mobile is actually the number of the additional line but under the plan, it is linked to your main number, so even though it is a different number, it acts like your main number. That number only identifies the line and has no other use. The BMW number is the number of the esim in the car and that number is also useless to you. It also only acts as an identifier and is also used by the car systems. Calling these two other numbers won't produce anything but the recording you mention.

There is a box that has to be checked in the esim set up that tells the iPhone and its number to act as the esim in the car. If you don't check that box, it won't work. If everything is hooked up properly, you can use the esim as a phone in the car without your mobile phone.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:18 PM   #36
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You only have one working number, which is your main number. The other number from T-Mobile is actually the number of the additional line but under the plan, it is linked to your main number, so even though it is a different number, it acts like your main number. That number only identifies the line and has no other use. The BMW number is the number of the esim in the car and that number is also useless to you. It also only acts as an identifier and is also used by the car systems. Calling these two other numbers won't produce anything but the recording you mention.

There is a box that has to be checked in the esim set up that tells the iPhone and its number to act as the esim in the car. If you don't check that box, it won't work. If everything is hooked up properly, you can use the esim as a phone in the car without your mobile phone.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. A few things to unpack here- there was no box to check when I set it up. It just sent me to the app when I clicked setup in the car and I linked my T-Mobile account and added it to the plan all through the app. Then it activated in the car.

There is a check box in the settings to use the esim as a phone which I have selected. Then when I call from the car, it says calling via esim and sounds slightly more clear. However as soon as I take the phone out of the car, it says please connect phone to make a call with esim.

A few more things- I don't use an iPhone, I have a Google pixel pro 8. Not sure if that impacts this, however I can't imagine it would. So, I'm confused- I get you should be able to make calls from the car without a phone connected, but how would you then call to the car if you're saying there's no dedicated number. It would just ring on the phone which was left at the house. Are you saying it rings the car if someone calls your main line and you don't have your phone with you in addition to ringing on your phone (which would be at home lets say)?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:24 PM   #37
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

I also found this which seems to indicate that you can't use the esim as a car phone without your phone
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:25 PM   #38
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. A few things to unpack here- there was no box to check when I set it up. It just sent me to the app when I clicked setup in the car and I linked my T-Mobile account and added it to the plan all through the app. Then it activated in the car.

There is a check box in the settings to use the esim as a phone which I have selected. Then when I call from the car, it says calling via esim and sounds slightly more clear. However as soon as I take the phone out of the car, it says please connect phone to make a call with esim.

A few more things- I don't use an iPhone, I have a Google pixel pro 8. Not sure if that impacts this, however I can't imagine it would. So, I'm confused- I get you should be able to make calls from the car without a phone connected, but how would you then call to the car if you're saying there's no dedicated number. It would just ring on the phone which was left at the house. Are you saying it rings the car if someone calls your main line and you don't have your phone with you in addition to ringing on your phone (which would be at home let's say)?
I am not sure why things are not working, it sounds like you have things set up correctly. The BMW car has that phone number and an esim which the car can call out on, but the car is set up so that the car number does not work as the number it is, but works as your main number when your phone is hooked up to the car. Yes, when I don't have my phone, and someone call my main mobile number, it rings in the car and comes up on the screen as a call made on the esim and the person calling sees your main number on their phone as the number that they are calling. I am going to check and see if there are other settings, and get back to you shortly.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:29 PM   #39
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I also found this which seems to indicate that you can't use the esim as a car phone without your phone
This is absolutely incorrect. I originally had a T-Mobil account when the car first am out and they were the only provider, then an ATT account when that came out, and then ultimately a Verizon account when that came out as that is my carrier for years.

All three carriers worked the exact same way. You don't need your mobile phone to make calls or receive calls in your car. When you try to make a call however, you must use the control panel and you must make the call by pushing the number on the screen, either manually, digit by digit, or by going into your contacts. If you go into the recent calls and try to make a call that says it was from you mobile phone, it will not work.

Also, sometimes it takes the esim 2 minutes to connect, and sometimes, 10 minutes, so you have make sure the esim is actually connected. The notation in the car only says that it is connected, it does not tell you if you have a connection that will allow you to make a call. That is a problem, and I know BMW is also working on this as well. For me, my experience is that it seems better now then when I first bought the car, but its not perfect. You can also tell if it's working by seeing if the WIFI has an Internet connection. With respect to internet as well, you can connect to the WIFI but that does not mean you have internet. Both the phone and internet connect at the same time.

Last edited by Lovin7er; 01-31-2024 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:47 PM   #40
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Where is says the BMW can't interact by itself, it needs a real phone, that is correct, but once you pair your phone to the car and the esim, you do not need your phone in the car to make and receive calls.

Also, in the esim section, you want check all three boxes.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:57 PM   #41
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is absolutely incorrect. I originally had a T-Mobil account when the car first am out and they were the only provider, then an ATT account when that came out, and then ultimately a Verizon account when that came out as that is my carrier for years.

All three carriers worked the exact same way. You don't need your mobile phone to make calls or receive calls in your car. When you try to make a call however, you must use the control panel and you must make the call by pushing the number on the screen, either manually, digit by digit, or by going into your contacts. If you go into the recent calls and try to make a call that says it was from you mobile phone, it will not work.

Also, sometimes it takes the esim 2 minutes to connect, and sometimes, 10 minutes, so you have make sure the esim is actually connected. The notation in the car only says that it is connected, it does not tell you if you have a connection that will allow you to make a call. That is a problem, and I know BMW is also working on this as well. For me, my experience is that it seems better now then when I first bought the car, but its not perfect. You can also tell if it's working by seeing if the WIFI has an Internet connection. With respect to internet as well, you can connect to the WIFI but that does not mean you have internet. Both the phone and internet connect at the same time.
Okay I went out to the car without my phone and all of a sudden it is working as you stated. I was able to make a call to someone via esim without the phone. And then they were able to call me back on my number to the car. It also sounds different when you call out. Instead of the normal dial tone ring like sound you hear when calling a phone, it makes a digital type of sound which is kind of cool.

I went for a drive and confirmed I was nowhere near the phone and it worked fine. I'm guessing it just had a glitch after I was cycling on/off the use esim for calling. Because initially when I set it up it was trying to call via esim every time but it was dead air and not working. Even when I would dial via the physical phone it was saying calling via esim on the screen so I was forced to uncheck that box to get it to call via my pixel 8 pro. However I rechecked that box once I set up the pixel on the hotspot because then it also wasn't working.

I think it just needed to reset itself. And the phone can't be connected to the car and then disconnected when it's within range or itll say connect phone to call via esim like it was doing.

Now if the stupid welcome light animation would fully activate since it's been stuck in activation mode, then I can finally see the three different types of welcome lighting. I don't want to be greedy though with this thing. It's glitch city.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:00 PM   #42
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Okay I went out to the car without my phone and all of a sudden it is working as you stated. I was able to make a call to someone via esim without the phone. And then they were able to call me back on my number to the car. It also sounds different when you call out. Instead of the normal dial tone ring like sound you hear when calling a phone, it makes a digital type of sound which is kind of cool.

I went for a drive and confirmed I was nowhere near the phone and it worked fine. I'm guessing it just had a glitch after I was cycling on/off the use esim for calling. Because initially when I set it up it was trying to call via esim every time but it was dead air and not working. Even when I would dial via the physical phone it was saying calling via esim on the screen so I was forced to uncheck that box to get it to call via my pixel 8 pro. However I rechecked that box once I set up the pixel on the hotspot because then it also wasn't working.

I think it just needed to reset itself. And the phone can't be connected to the car and then disconnected when it's within range or itll say connect phone to call via esim like it was doing.
Great, glad it is working.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 11:03 PM   #43
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, glad it is working.
Appreciate the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 05:26 AM   #44
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the help!
If you or anyone else is having problems with your BMW eSim, there is a way to reset the connection and settings. Here is what BMW Connected Support suggests that you do. It has worked for me on occasion when there has been some sort of issue with my eSim on the back end.

"We recommend performing an Update Services in your vehicle to refresh the connection. This can be done by following the steps below:
"MENU"
"All apps"
"System settings"
"Update apps and services"
"Search for updates"
Follow the instructions on the Control Display.

Once the update completes, we recommend shutting the vehicle off and locking doors allowing 30 minutes before restarting the vehicle to check the connection. This may have to be done twice. Please uninstall/reinstall the MYBMW APP.

Then, please ensure Data Privacy settings are enabled. See steps below:
"MENU" >> "Vehicle apps" >> "System settings" >> "Data privacy" >> Agree and activate all>"
Appreciate 2
AlteBMW852.00
renzo3619.50