BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-09-2024, 11:03 AM   #6469
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
And this will be the ugly future look of our city sidewalk. Thank you for all the EVs. It doesn't make the city look more green. It just make the city more ugly and danger to the people who are walking on the sidewalk.
The trip hazard of the first pic is attempting to injure pedestrians, Tes owner is risking a kickback if someone goes over.
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2024, 11:07 AM   #6470
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
There's a new charging point at a local smaller store car park, it was not in use so for the first time I removed the charger handle by pressing the thumb button. The heavyish handle was hot and humming and it was raining! So putting the holder back sharpish my first thought was if I was in danger of being electrocuted, what-the-hell
One suggestion : Bring a pair of heavy duty rubber rain boot with you and get change before you charge the EVs Sorry for all the EV owners, one more thing for me to laugh at you
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6748.00
M5Rick66610.50
      02-09-2024, 11:13 AM   #6471
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
The trip hazard of the first pic is attempting to injure pedestrians, Tes owner is risking a kickback if someone goes over.
So far nobody from my government say anything about this hazard. They just keep sweeping the issues under the carpet.
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2024, 11:24 AM   #6472
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

At least Toyota gets it. Hybrids make sense, EV's do not at this point in time.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...84211b48&ei=18
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1958.50
M5Rick66610.50
      02-09-2024, 12:01 PM   #6473
DrFerry
Field Marshal
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.25]
2015 BMW X5  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
At least Toyota gets it. Hybrids make sense, EV's do not at this point in time.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...84211b48&ei=18
Toyota does indeed "get it" and they're actively working to shift the industry away from rare earth mineral EV battery tech towards something much better. Their recent Hydrogen internal combustion engine announcement has been making waves, as has their research into water as basis for the hydrogen resource i.e. water => hydrogen => fuel for their new internal combustion engine innovations. The future is not EV. And then there's the Jetson One.... but it runs on batteries for now.

'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66610.50
eugenebmw1958.50
      02-09-2024, 01:51 PM   #6474
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ford EV lost $4.7 billion in 2023.

$64,000 loss per EV unit sold. (72,608 units)

Ford estimates $5.5 billion loss for EV division in 2024.

Last edited by M3WC; 02-09-2024 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6748.00
M5Rick66610.50
eugenebmw1958.50
      02-09-2024, 01:55 PM   #6475
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Ford EV lost $4.7 billion in 2023.

$28,000 loss per EV unit sold.

Ford estimates $5.5 billion loss for EV division in 2024.

The only way this is sustainable is to continue raising msrp on ICE vehicles.
Ford has already pushed prices to the limit. They need to just write off their whole EV business and get their ICE business back up to snuff. They've had a lot of quality issues and areas where they cost cut way too far (to try to make up for EV losses no doubt).
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6748.00
M5Rick66610.50
eugenebmw1958.50
      02-09-2024, 02:12 PM   #6476
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Ford has already pushed prices to the limit. They need to just write off their whole EV business and get their ICE business back up to snuff. They've had a lot of quality issues and areas where they cost cut way too far (to try to make up for EV losses no doubt).
ICE sales are saving the day, legacy manufacturers will continue to raise ICE msrp to subsidize their massive losses on EV sales.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:26 PM   #6477
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
Rep
Drives: '22 GR Z4 Coup '06 Z4M Rdster

3-4 hours of constant water to cool down an EV fire and hope it doesn't restart
Wonderfull when you live in a condo with underground parking and park next to a Tesla and come back to a flooded M4 🤣
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66610.50
eugenebmw1958.50
      02-09-2024, 05:20 PM   #6478
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
ICE sales are saving the day, legacy manufacturers will continue to raise ICE msrp to subsidize their massive losses on EV sales.
Looks like everybody gets that except the idiots at BMW. I looked at a Ranger Rover today. Very nice. My M4CS could be my last BMW if things keep going the way they are in Munich. At least it's a hell of a way to say good buy.
Appreciate 4
      02-09-2024, 05:22 PM   #6479
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Who hasn't felt something clang off the bottom of their car on the interstate in traffic?
The Tesla that burned to the ground on the PA Turnpike a couple years ago ran over a ice ball off a Semi.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2024, 05:29 PM   #6480
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
I think they've gone too far. It's time to price EVs and ICEs correctly and the EV experiment fail. Write the EV losses off and move on.

Automakers that continue to subsidize a failing EV portfolio with ICE margin are destined for failure as ICE buyers go elsewhere.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66610.50
eugenebmw1958.50
      02-09-2024, 05:30 PM   #6481
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
How do you make money selling discounted EV's?
Tesla Rakes In $9 Billion From Carmakers Failing to Sell Enough EVs
02/09/2024
(Bloomberg) -- Tesla Inc. continues to cash in on other carmakers needing help to meet emissions standards, keeping up a lucrative business the company thought would fade away.
Selling regulatory credits is a tidy business for Tesla. It earns them by making and selling electric vehicles, then sells the credits to manufacturers whose new-vehicle fleets exceed emissions limits set by various authorities, including in China, the European Union and state of California.
Automakers including Volkswagen AG and General Motors Co. have fallen short of their EV goals and delayed or canceled electric-vehicle manufacturing investments. VW and GM both have needed help meeting emissions standards in recent years, as has Honda Motor Co. and Jaguar Land Rover.

I wonder who is paying that $9 Billion? Well it's the people buying cars from these companies. Some would call that a Tax.
Smack a politician of the D variety, I promise it will feel good.
Appreciate 4
      02-09-2024, 05:58 PM   #6482
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
3-4 hours of constant water to cool down an EV fire and hope it doesn't restart
Wonderfull when you live in a condo with underground parking and park next to a Tesla and come back to a flooded M4 🤣
Milford bans EV chargers from underground parking lots: 'It's an emerging issue,' fire chief says
Feb 8, 2024
The Board approved the proposed ordinance after hearing Fire Chief Anthony Fabrizi describe the stations as potentially explosive devices because of thermal runaway.
Milford's new regulation allows the city to fine violators $50 per day for the first 30 days and $100 a day afterward until the charging station is removed.
Fabriza said. It merely compels that they be set above-ground, where better exposure to open air makes the fires easier for firefighters to douse by allowing heat to escape, he said.
Underground parking garages are difficult for firefighting apparatus to get into, he said.
https://www.sfgate.com/news/town-gov...s-18648259.php

Sounds pretty logical to me. Hard to get equipment into, bad ventilation of toxic fumes from burning batteries. I remember the good old days when the fire department could put out a ICE fire with a dri chemical or foam extinguisher.
Appreciate 4
      02-10-2024, 05:25 AM   #6483
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Electric van maker once valued at Ł10bn collapses into administration
A British electric van maker once valued at $13bn (Ł10bn) has gone into administration after burning through $1.5bn without having sold a vehicle.
Oxfordshire-based Arrival has appointed administrators at EY to find a buyer for the business, blaming “challenging market and macroeconomic conditions”.

Arrival secured hundreds of millions of investment from the likes of BlackRock, BNP Paribas and Hyundai before going public. Denis Sverdlov, a Russian businessman who founded the company, stepped down as chief executive in 2022.
The company last year switched its plans to manufacturing in America in an attempt to benefit from Bozo administration subsidies, although production never began.
The company had more than $300m in debt as of last June.
A series of other electric vehicle companies that pursued high-stakes US listings during a market boom in 2020 and 2021, such as Lordstown Motors and Nikola, have also struggled.

In a completely unrelated story
The Founder Of Electric Vehicle Maker Arrival Is Worth $10.6 Billion After SPAC IPO
Arrival CFO Tim Holbrow told investors last year that he expects Arrival to generate $14 billion in revenue by 2024. Tesla, with a market capitalization of over $600 billion, posted revenues of $31 billion for 2020.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidda...h=6752f63f1109

The Green Grift rolls on. Tax payers and investors stripped of their money. Must be profitable to have no ethics or morals.
Hell will need to open up a Global Warming and EV wing to house all these thieves.
Should paint 'Departure' on the vans now heheh
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2024, 07:49 AM   #6484
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
This Massive Indoor EV Hub Is the Nicest Charging Station I've Visited
Feb. 9, 2024
With fast charging, 24/7 security, lounges and free Wi-Fi, Electrify America's flagship station in San Francisco is pretty sweet. Now build more of them!

With 20 stalls, Electrify America's new EV charging hub in San Francisco is not only its largest installation yet but also the swankiest, tempting drivers with amenities and creature comforts that should make charging their electric cars safer and less of a chore.
The large, well-lit interior comes with the additional benefit of 24/7 security with an onsite attendant. The big bay doors are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. with the attendant letting drivers in and out outside of those hours as needed.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...n-ive-visited/

This is the dystopian automotive future, safe places to charge your EV where you can all gather to discuss your vegan recipes and what you did this week to save the planet. Me I'm going to drive my gas guzzling truck or SUV to a gas station with an attendant with a shirt that has his name on it. I will fill up on natures god given fossil fuel and then I will speed off to have a steak dinner provided by cows that farted.
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2024, 08:07 AM   #6485
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
EV Owners Are Dumping Their Cars For Gas Powered Engines
February 2, 2024
Nature Energy published a paper titled “Understanding discontinuance among California’s electric vehicle owners.” Scholars use the term “discontinuance.” It means to sell, trade-in, or dump. Discontinuance of EVs also means car companies have lost a critically important customer. This is the kind of churn companies like Netflix worry about. When a customer cancels, that customer needs to be replaced. Additionally, a new customer has to be found to show growth. A 20% attrition rate is staggeringly high. If this continues, it will be a miracle that the EV industry will grow at all..
The data for the research was collected via five questionnaires. The results were that 20% of plug-in hybrid owners and 18% of EV owners “discontinuanced” their cars. The primary reason given was that battery charging was inconvenient. Several other studies have shown that EV adoption has been undermined by the number of charging stations, battery range, and length of charging. Gas-powered cars are familiar to drivers. There are 140,000 gas stations in America. It takes a few minutes to fill a gas tank. The average price of a gallon of regular gas is below $3 in most states.
https://climatecrisis247.com/ev/ev-o...wered-engines/
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2024, 09:19 AM   #6486
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
EV Owners Are Dumping Their Cars For Gas Powered Engines
February 2, 2024
Nature Energy published a paper titled “Understanding discontinuance among California’s electric vehicle owners.” Scholars use the term “discontinuance.” It means to sell, trade-in, or dump. Discontinuance of EVs also means car companies have lost a critically important customer. This is the kind of churn companies like Netflix worry about. When a customer cancels, that customer needs to be replaced. Additionally, a new customer has to be found to show growth. A 20% attrition rate is staggeringly high. If this continues, it will be a miracle that the EV industry will grow at all..
The data for the research was collected via five questionnaires. The results were that 20% of plug-in hybrid owners and 18% of EV owners “discontinuanced” their cars. The primary reason given was that battery charging was inconvenient. Several other studies have shown that EV adoption has been undermined by the number of charging stations, battery range, and length of charging. Gas-powered cars are familiar to drivers. There are 140,000 gas stations in America. It takes a few minutes to fill a gas tank. The average price of a gallon of regular gas is below $3 in most states.
https://climatecrisis247.com/ev/ev-o...wered-engines/
I am definitely getting another S Plaid.
Appreciate 2
RM73002.50
      02-10-2024, 09:31 AM   #6487
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
This Massive Indoor EV Hub Is the Nicest Charging Station I've Visited
Feb. 9, 2024
With fast charging, 24/7 security, lounges and free Wi-Fi, Electrify America's flagship station in San Francisco is pretty sweet. Now build more of them!

With 20 stalls, Electrify America's new EV charging hub in San Francisco is not only its largest installation yet but also the swankiest, tempting drivers with amenities and creature comforts that should make charging their electric cars safer and less of a chore.
The large, well-lit interior comes with the additional benefit of 24/7 security with an onsite attendant. The big bay doors are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. with the attendant letting drivers in and out outside of those hours as needed.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...n-ive-visited/

This is the dystopian automotive future, safe places to charge your EV where you can all gather to discuss your vegan recipes and what you did this week to save the planet. Me I'm going to drive my gas guzzling truck or SUV to a gas station with an attendant with a shirt that has his name on it. I will fill up on natures god given fossil fuel and then I will speed off to have a steak dinner provided by cows that farted.
I wonder how much that cost taxpayers...

Maybe I'll drop a few more grand on April 15th this year, just so I can say I helped the planet.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1958.50
M5Rick66610.50
      02-10-2024, 09:35 AM   #6488
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
Toyota does indeed "get it" and they're actively working to shift the industry away from rare earth mineral EV battery tech towards something much better. Their recent Hydrogen internal combustion engine announcement has been making waves, as has their research into water as basis for the hydrogen resource i.e. water => hydrogen => fuel for their new internal combustion engine innovations. The future is not EV. And then there's the Jetson One.... but it runs on batteries for now.

That EVOL is wicked cool.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6748.00
eugenebmw1958.50
M5Rick66610.50
      02-10-2024, 12:09 PM   #6489
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
I bet the charging rate is as impressive as the facility. Poor's need not apply.
I would hope it has a really nice, clean bathroom, perhaps with a bidet.

Maybe rentable sleeping pods (like they have in Japan) so you can take a nap during charging sessions?
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66610.50
eugenebmw1958.50
      02-10-2024, 12:30 PM   #6490
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I would hope it has a really nice, clean bathroom, perhaps with a bidet.
Maybe rentable sleeping pods (like they have in Japan) so you can take a nap during charging sessions?
It's San Francisco, soon this location will be on the poop map and there will be a homeless encampment there along with all the fentanyl you need. Some things never change.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1958.50
M5Rick66610.50