BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-23-2016, 01:05 PM   #67
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I only got through a little of this but yea I work with some of these types who think they are entitled to a well paying job and shouldn't have to pay for college. Yes they are millennials. They think they shouldn't have to pay for anything really. Her rent isn't really that bad - it's more expensive to live in Hartford CT! Her pay sucks yes I get that, but if you want to make more money get a new job. Nothing is free. All of this fucking whining, it's not like she's living in a 3rd world country.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #68
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
http://www.businessinsider.com/stefa...ia-jane-2016-2

Fucking gold. 29 year old woman also with an English degree reams into the 25 year old and she's 100% right.
Well said. I work with a lot of companies that are hiring millennials right now. We are actually holding seminars on stupid shit you have to do to keep them motivated. It is a massive and very expensive problem that the second they get an offer to make $5k more/year elsewhere they jump ship. Normally this is after less than a year of employment and they aren't really good enough to throw more money at them to keep them so we end up in a constant battle of hiring young folks and hoping to get lucky enough to find those that are loyal and motivated and want to make a difference.

It is a very strange time given that you hear about so many people looking for work and here we have jobs for kids coming out of school starting at $50k or more and we can't find and retain good workers.
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #69
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Well said. I work with a lot of companies that are hiring millennials right now. We are actually holding seminars on stupid shit you have to do to keep them motivated. It is a massive and very expensive problem that the second they get an offer to make $5k more/year elsewhere they jump ship. Normally this is after less than a year of employment and they aren't really good enough to throw more money at them to keep them so we end up in a constant battle of hiring young folks and hoping to get lucky enough to find those that are loyal and motivated and want to make a difference.

It is a very strange time given that you hear about so many people looking for work and here we have jobs for kids coming out of school starting at $50k or more and we can't find and retain good workers.
Entitlement has ruined gratitude.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 01:41 PM   #70
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:

That's because they think their first job out of college should be VP level making 100k+. They think they don't have to work for anything.

Last edited by M3 Esq; 02-23-2016 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
      02-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #71
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
That's because they think their first job out of college should be VP level making 100k+. Strange times. They think they don't have to work for anything.
But they went to college! And their Moms and Dads told them how amazingly special they were! Don't these stupid employers understand who they are? They are just getting screwed by idiots!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #72
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
But they went to college! And their Moms and Dads told them how amazingly special they were! Don't these stupid employers understand who they are? They are just getting screwed by idiots!
Don't let the CEO's hear you!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #73
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I bet she votes... and you can guess which way.
Trump supporter perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #74
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
This is not unreasonable for a young person to think this way. I employ people like this all the time and beleive me most feel I should be privileged that they work for me. Sense of entitlement is rampant with young people and there's no way around it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #75
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:

Why continue hiring young workers then?

A lot of people in my office are in their 20's and 30's but most of them are programmers so they don't really have this sort of attitude. It's always the idiot with the virtually useless degree who seems to have these issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:02 PM   #76
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

A lot of people in my office are in their 20's and 30's but most of them are programmers so they don't really have this sort of attitude. It's always the idiot with the virtually useless degree who seems to have these issues.
Because we hope young people stay longer looking to earn more money and there's no retirement. I have the same problem as above, have msny positions but not any good candidates to fill them.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:21 PM   #77
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq View Post
That's because they think their first job out of college should be VP level making 100k+. They think they don't have to work for anything.
It's stupid that a company spends a shit ton of dollars on how to appease people than just hire the right person the first time around. But I guess there is a shift in attitude.

I'm not one of those but loyalty in general has gone down the toilet. Not because of only the youngsters, but also because of the companies. For example, you get hired at will, you do a great job and perform beyond expectations. You put in a couple of years, you are more knowledgeable than your managers. Yet they get paid more and you have no room to move upwards until they DIE (because people like that ave no ambition to move up, nor have incentive to work any harder or go somewhere else, they are just too comfortable). I will add completely different than someone who thinks they deserve a promotion just because of the time they put in. No wonder smart people leave companies.

I have jumped almost 40k in salary in the last 15 months. Before that I jumped 10k in almost four years. You should be paid what you are worth. When companies don't realize this, you wonder why everyone new who comes in realizes they're on a shitty ass team.

I can't wait for the next few years when I'm finally in position to make the decisions regarding the vision of the team. If you aren't performing at a top level, I will straight replace you. If you haven't contributed anything new or have had any ideas on how to change something (that you have complete ownership of) to make it better, you will get low performance reviews and will be shown the door (my biggest pet peeve is the excuse "we've been doing it this way for 10 years" - NO SHIT it's time to do it better then ). All of this, the same as I expect to be treated. Until a team has a leader like that (have been on teams like this and not like this), you will always hire and remain mediocre. That's why I left in just over a year, I was working with middle management who have realized their full potential YEARS ago. Hard to respect people like that.

If I find out he/she is on bimmerpost, we will be buddies.

Last edited by M3 Number 86; 02-23-2016 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #78
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
It's stupid that a company spends a shit ton of dollars on how to appease people than just hire the right person the first time around. But I guess there is a shift in attitude.

I'm not one of those but loyalty in general has gone down the toilet. Not because of only the youngsters, but also because of the companies. For example, you get hired at will, you do a great job and perform beyond expectations. You put in a couple of years, you are more knowledgeable than your managers. Yet they get paid more and you have no room to move upwards until they DIE (because people like that ave no ambition to move up, nor have incentive to work any harder or go somewhere else, they are just too comfortable). No wonder smart people leave companies.

I have jumped almost 40k in salary in the last 15 months. Before that I jumped 10k in almost four years. You should be paid what you are worth. When companies don't realize this, you wonder why everyone new who comes in realizes they're on a shitty ass team.

I can't wait for the next few years when I'm finally in position to make the decisions regarding the vision of the team. If you aren't performing at a top level, I will straight replace you. If you haven't contributed anything new or have had any ideas on how to change something (that you have complete ownership of) to make it better, you will get low performance reviews and will be shown the door (my biggest pet peeve is the excuse "we've been doing it this way for 10 years" - NO SHIT it's time to do it better then ). All of this, the same as I expect to be treated. Until a team has a leader like that (have been on teams like this and not like this), you will always hire and remain mediocre. That's why I left in just over a year, I was working with middle management who have realized their full potential YEARS ago. Hard to respect people like that.
Hire me pls am worthy of ur surrvis.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #79
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Continue forth with the same methods, you will get the same results. Tried and true. Interesting how simple corporate philosophies can be, yet so elusive. Call it monarchical management.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #80
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Hire me pls am worthy of ur surrvis.

I just edited my post - look at my last sentence.
      02-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #81
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
Oh no.
Wait she's not asian though? Trust me I know my own kind
      02-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #82
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

I just edited my post - look at my last sentence.
Shit! Looks like I'm moving to the West Coast then.

I'm a project manager/business analyst. I think big.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:20 PM   #83
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:

Hilarious. I participated on a task force whose mission it was to implement on campus recruiting to increase the number of fresh college grads. Part of that approach was educating hiring managers on what motivates and keeps millennials engaged. I was like, "how about a well paying job in a company that is growing?" No, instead it was something like being able to make a tangible difference in making society a better place. Oh, I forgot. We were hiring superheros, not programmers and analysts.

Last edited by imserious; 02-23-2016 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #84
imserious
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 MR

Quote:

Many companies are having trouble with an aging workforce. Besides higher salaries and more expensive benefits, as people retire they take knowledge capital with them.

For companies to survive in the long term they need to hire and invest in younger talent. Better organizational cost model, more current skills and longer (potential) runway with the company. Loyalty is hard with the youngins.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #85
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imserious View Post
Many companies are having trouble with an aging workforce. Besides higher salaries and more expensive benefits, as people retire they take knowledge capital with them.

For companies to survive in the long term they need to hire and invest in younger talent. Better organizational cost model, more current skills and longer (potential) runway with the company. Loyalty is hard with the youngins.
I think it's probably because they have this view of companies instilled in their heads that companies don't give a shit about them and that the easiest way to get a bump in pay is to move jobs (which technically is true, not saying I advocate it).

And depending on what they do for the company, size, etc. they may be right in that the company may not give a shit about them. It all depends on the available labor out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #86
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Wow, way to go all "factual". Try not to be so serious Mr. Im.... Uh... Serious.

Never mind. (Actually - this is dead on, all kidding aside. As we lose people to natural attrition (aka retirement) we need people who are ready to fill in - that takes years to develop.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #87
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hilarious. I participated on a task force whose mission it was to implement on campus recruiting to increase the number of fresh college grads. Part of that approach was educating hiring managers on what motivates and keeps millennials engaged. I was like, "how about a well paying job in a company that is growing?" No, instead it was something like being able to make a tangible difference in making society a better place. Oh, I forgot. We were hiring superheros, not programmers and analysts.
Jesus Christ, that's so fucking true. We have people like that here I just roll my eyes. You'd swear we're curing AIDS and spreading world peace over here.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:52 PM   #88
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Jesus Christ, that's so fucking true. We have people like that here I just roll my eyes. You'd swear we're curing AIDS and spreading world peace over here.
It's work people. You give us work. We give you money. You want to save the world, use the money we paid you. Here, we make software. Get on with it people.
Appreciate 1