BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-25-2022, 02:53 PM   #903
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
that seems like a good deal. sometimes dealers can negotiate on this and work into the financing. i ran mine without warranty for 3-4 years and 7000 miles. annual service was about 1000 at indy shop (oil change and general lookover). slightly cheaper than what the porsche dealer charges on my 991.2 gt3. I did have a weird sound develop in one shock which was $4k to change. so overall about 7-8k to service for 3 years. so i beat out the warranty by $8k or so.

just depends on how it will be driven, and if you buy a 2010 vs 2015 (2010s had the trans issue pop up more often). if you're daily driving it 5-7k miles a year then the warranty definitely makes sense. if its a 2015 and just a nice weather toy that will maybe see 1-2k miles a year you probably don't need it.
Holy crap, $4k for one shock? A lot of you guys are just operating at a completely different level.
Appreciate 1
swanson781.50
      07-25-2022, 03:33 PM   #904
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
What do you think about Ferrari Power15 extended warranty(Engine, Gearbox, PTU, Suspension, Steering and Electrical Systems), $4500/year. Expensive, but complete peace of mind with Ferrari roadside assistance thrown in.
The PTU is only on the Lusso/FF and the warranty for the V12 is more like $6k/year while the V8 is $4500ish. IMO if you can afford some out of pocket expenses and have a good indy shop nearby it's not worth it, but I have seen the occasional DCT complete replacement which is like $40k. PTU is $30-40k from Ferrari but the aftermarket fix for it is about $10k and actually solves the problem instead of just getting a new unit that can also go bad. My FF had 41k miles and never had PTU replaced.

I think if a large expense would ruin you financially then it could be worth it for peace of mind, but the warranty also doesn't cover oil leaks which can be a huge expense to fix at the dealer and you also have to get service done there to maintain the warranty which is twice the price of an indy. So it's not just the $4500, it's the dealer labor rate for everything else too.

I don't know if Ferrari is still offering the buy one year of CPO get one year free deal, but if you are looking at a CPO car that would be much more ideal than $4500/year. Of course, you are also paying a dealer CPO price for the car too, so there's that.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6455.00
      07-25-2022, 03:35 PM   #905
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Personally I like to self insure/warranty as much as possible. I'd just save the $4500/year and bet Id come out ahead in the long run. Am I really thinking that there's a good enough chance that I'm going to have $14,000 in maintenance and repairs over 3 years that I'm willing to pre pay? Nuts! If you are considering a used Ferrari you should have enough scratch to cover any potential exposure from service and repair issues.
The big expense is the DCT taking a dump. I have seen some people quote over $50k to have it replaced at their dealer. A new unit is $30k at ScuderiaParts website plus labor at an indy is proably another $5k. A lot of people don't have $35-50k laying around for a big expense. You don't need to be rich to own a Ferrari....I used a HELOC to buy mine and all it cost me was $200/month in interest while the car value went up $40k. I am not rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Holy crap, $4k for one shock? A lot of you guys are just operating at a completely different level.
Yes the shocks are expensive. When I bought a CPO FF the dealer had to replace two shocks as part of the CPO inspection and said it was around $9k retail cost. I think they're even more on the 599.
Appreciate 1
Humdizzle6455.00
      07-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #906
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:
it sucked but it comes with the territory. in the end, like i said i spent 8k in maintenance and repairs over 3 years. the msrp was like 270k. so basically i spent 2-3% of the cars value on upkeep.

same as spending 1400 over 3 years on an M3s maintenance. some guys blow through that immediately doing a CH or rod bearing fix.

at least thats how i justify it to myself lmao.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT

Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | F87 M2c | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #907
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
If i could rep you with all of my points, i would lol.

Corvettes have been competing with supercars for decades. On the track, then that racing pedigree is implemented into their street cars. It's the reason why i got jumped on board back when the C5 was still out on the streets fairly new. It was a tough platform to beat. Lightweight (although no anymore LOL), big v8, very fast out of the box.

People who talk about finances just because one must like a less expensive car just shows insecurities. I could afford an exotic if i want to. If i wanted, i could get a used 458. But why would i do that? Just to say hey everyone i have a ferrari. I can only drive it 500 miles a year because if something breaks, it'll sit in the shop for 3 months, then i have a 30k bill when it's over.

No way. Fast out of the box production cars with warranties have more appeal to me than just trying to show off in a status car.

I have a stingray and the C8Z on the way. I'll have both in my house in the year 2023, although the stingray will come first. So clearly i could get an exotic if i wanted to if i cancel both C8 orders, and just get a used mclaren or something.

I don't want to do that. I like value for performance. I drive my cars. I don't even own a garage. My cars sit in the back of my house under car covers. I use my cars. They don't sit and get driven 1000 miles a year. Whenever i'm not a work, i'm in one of my cars taking aimless drives. I love cars. Doesn't matter what car really.

458 is a legendary car. One of my favorite cars of all time as i said. And it's the reason GM benchmarked it against the C8Z.

The C8Z is that car, although much heavier, but it's better. Bigger engine, more power, sounds better, with a warranty. Drizzled with modern tech, modern looks and better performance.

I can't see why anyone would go and look for a 458 unless you're a collector or just can't be seen "in a chevy" when you can try to score a C8Z which is a better buy, on all counts.

I don't care for badging, otherwise i wouldn't have a tesla, an M3 or a corvette at all. It'll just be a mclaren for a weekend toy, and perhaps something like a GT63 AMG for a daily.
So I agree with a lot of wha you said particular the work/maintenance aspect.

I have a c7 Z06 M7 that I love and will never give up. With manuals going away this one is staying in the garage. I was very curious about the new C8 Z06 and while i still think it’s a great car I do wonder if it’s pushing too high in price. When you start approaching 911 GTS or 718 GT4 (or even RS) price points; a car I can get with a manual and I expect will hold it’s price point far better…. I don’t know. I’m not saying it’s a faster car but the experience of those cars and the overall value - might be a much tighter race. Before I wouldn’t even consider it because it wasn’t even approaching the 911 S territory which is the very level of car in that range I’d consider.

Anyway no doubt the vette is a great car but when you start bumping up against these cars - well tougher decision.

Last edited by Mike00; 07-25-2022 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      07-25-2022, 04:27 PM   #908
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Quote:
We'll know when the price is too high for anything when it's not selling. The Z06 being in backorder for years is evidence that it is probably underpriced. Dealers adding market adjustments provides further evidence.
Dealers add ADM because they are scum. Even Kia dealers do. Yea, you running out to buy a Kia now? Didn't think so
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      07-25-2022, 04:30 PM   #909
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I agree not everyone tries to reach for the exotic. I mean its cool to experience it. I'd probably pick the 458 over a C8 z06 if i just started coming into money recently. But since i've already had a 458, the c8z makes more sense. I have a GM dealer down the street. parts will be cheap. and its 10 years newer with a warranty. i can get close to ferrari experience without all the drawbacks of keeping low miles and being raked over the coals for servicing. Granted, 458s are pretty cheap to service... but there is always the risk of something catastrophic happening.

i dont think the z06 will get the same attention as a 458 or R8 / Huracan. Valet probably wont put it in front of the fancy restaurant... if that matters to you. People wont come up to you at a gas station thinking your a millionaire.
I think I will end up flipping my C8Z for an R8 or the right 66-70 Chevelle honestly. Both of the latter are bucket list cars for me. I'd also take a 458 or 488, but out of my $ range
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #910
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
I actually have driven a ferrari lol. But the 488.

I don't know where i lost some of you if you're thinking i am implying ferrari isn't a good brand. Who in their right mind would say ferrari isn't a great car brand? It is. It's what we all dreamed of driving when we were kids. Some were lucky to drive them, i drove one. Some were lucky to own one.

I am saying FOR THE PRICE, GM gave us their version of the 458 but better. Meaning it has a ferrari like sound (i still think it sounds better than the 458), it has more power, it has modern tech and looks and it has a warranty. For pennies when you compare it to actual supercar/exotic prices.

If i was rich, i'd have a ferrari, and still would want a z06. Which some ferrari owners are actually doing as said on the corvette forum.

But for the value and the potential performance it has, the z06 is a better buy over a 458. We can argue until our eyes bleed on how we're interpreting what is "better". I'm saying in todays world, for the price, the value of performance, GM gave us a better version of the 458.
I'm getting a C8Z and have owned Vettes in the past. I have driven a 458. I'd take a Ferrari over the Chevy. Why? It's still a Chevy and Ferrari is a bucket list car for a lot of people.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #911
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Look at the Raptor R. MSRP of $107k, for a pickup truck.

A LT5 crate engine cost $20k. I could see the LT6 cost $30k+. Most of the Z06 price increase is in the engine and inflation.--> greed under the guise of inflation.
FTFY
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:38 PM   #912
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G MONEY View Post
Just don't see how people would get excited for something that you see EVErYDAY!! To think someone is pulling out a phone to take a pic of a C7 anything is comical to me. Maybe if you live in West Virginia with a town population of 500. Living in the NE, again it's like seeing a Mustang🤮.
Where are you seeing a C7 ZR1 everyday?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #913
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
I would LOVE a new C8Z. I think they look awesome, and that engine. What a marvel by GM.

I just don't make that kind of coin. Now if I get this AWS gig I'm trying to get, I might be able to afford something a bit more insane.

A big part of me wants a loaded out CT4-V Blackwing.

I think the 5BW or the 4BW are good buys. If you wanted a loaded out 4BW that's in the realm of the 5BW price no? I don't know about wait times though because when i checked last summer for the 5BW that was 12+ months out. Same with the C8 stingray so i passed and got the M3C which took only 4 months. Ironically i ended up on the C8 stingray list anyway lol. i would've had the C8 already had i just got on the list, now i have to wait until spring to get mine.

In the end, we're lucky to have these types of problems. Most people, even ones i know, have a tough time just just paying rent. And they're driving around in a 2005 honda accord or something. That's why i never gloat what i have, because i was once in their shoes. I basically had nothing and had to work my way to what i have now. I am definitely blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
So I agree with a lot of wha you said particular the work/maintenance aspect.

I have a c7 Z06 M7 that I love and will never give up. With manuals going away this one is staying in the garage. I was very curious about the new C8 Z06 and while i still think it’s a great car I do wonder if it’s pushing too high in price. When you start approaching 911 GTS or 718 GT4 (or even RS) price points; a car I can get with a manual and I expect will hold it’s price point far better…. I don’t know. I’m not saying it’s a faster car but the experience of those cars and the overall value - might be a much tighter race. Before I wouldn’t even consider it because it wasn’t even approaching the 911 S territory which is the very level of car in that range I’d consider.

Anyway no doubt the vette is a great car but when you start bumping up against these cars - well tougher decision.

You see, that's my dilemma. My C7Z is a manual and while i am tired of manuals, it's just a car that has a lot of sentimental value to it. I got the car when i was still in love with manuals, i got it brand new, i got at a heavy discount. It was the exact spec i wanted. White with red seats, black wheels and carbon flash bits. And i got it a month before my dad passed away. My dad didn't even love corvettes as he was a supra guy lol, but he was so excited when i showed him the car. He kept on saying he was jealous and he wanted a ride. But the car still being new to me, i wanted to get familiar with the car first before i gave him a ride to show what it can do. So i kept pushing it off. Well a month later he suffered a stroke and passed I still regret not giving him that ride.

So that's why i'm not sure if i wanna sell it yet. I don't need to. It's paid off. So i may just get my C8 stingray and C8Z, use the stingray for a year, then sell it. Then enjoy both z06's. Or maybe i will find closure and just sell the C7Z and have 2 C8's.

I really don't know what to do.

BUt like i said above, we're lucky if we have to make these types of decisions, especially in this economy.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #914
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Quote:
Personally I like to self insure/warranty as much as possible. I'd just save the $4500/year and bet Id come out ahead in the long run. Am I really thinking that there's a good enough chance that I'm going to have $14,000 in maintenance and repairs over 3 years that I'm willing to pre pay? Nuts! If you are considering a used Ferrari you should have enough scratch to cover any potential exposure from service and repair issues.
The big expense is the DCT taking a dump. I have seen some people quote over $50k to have it replaced at their dealer. A new unit is $30k at ScuderiaParts website plus labor at an indy is proably another $5k. A lot of people don't have $35-50k laying around for a big expense.
I'll rephrase my viewpoint.

When a warranty has a $14,000 expense over 3 years means the people issuing the warranty feel that it's a good risk for them to offer the coverage for the cost. I'm agreeing with them and betting there will be less than that amount of covered expenses over that period of time. If someone is so financially tight that this risk is too great then you're probably buying the wrong vehicle.

This is all just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #915
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Quote:
What do you think about Ferrari Power15 extended warranty(Engine, Gearbox, PTU, Suspension, Steering and Electrical Systems), $4500/year. Expensive, but complete peace of mind with Ferrari roadside assistance thrown in.
The PTU is only on the Lusso/FF and the warranty for the V12 is more like $6k/year while the V8 is $4500ish. IMO if you can afford some out of pocket expenses and have a good indy shop nearby it's not worth it, but I have seen the occasional DCT complete replacement which is like $40k. PTU is $30-40k from Ferrari but the aftermarket fix for it is about $10k and actually solves the problem instead of just getting a new unit that can also go bad. My FF had 41k miles and never had PTU replaced.

I think if a large expense would ruin you financially then it could be worth it for peace of mind, but the warranty also doesn't cover oil leaks which can be a huge expense to fix at the dealer and you also have to get service done there to maintain the warranty which is twice the price of an indy. So it's not just the $4500, it's the dealer labor rate for everything else too.

I don't know if Ferrari is still offering the buy one year of CPO get one year free deal, but if you are looking at a CPO car that would be much more ideal than $4500/year. Of course, you are also paying a dealer CPO price for the car too, so there's that.
If my DCT goes, I'm torching it and collecting the insurance 🔥🔥Lol. For me, my spun crank hub cost me 15 grand to fix. So far, the m4 has been way more costly then the 458. Of course, it was my
Own doing with the mods I have. Oh well. It's part of the game. Shit break. You fix it and move on. Not
Like you are going to let you vehicle just sit there cause you don't want to spend the money
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7926.50
      07-25-2022, 05:01 PM   #916
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Quote:
We'll know when the price is too high for anything when it's not selling. The Z06 being in backorder for years is evidence that it is probably underpriced. Dealers adding market adjustments provides further evidence.
Dealers add ADM because they are scum.
Dealers add ADM because they can. That's why the term dealers use "market adjustment" is actually accurate. They're simply adjusting the street price as high as possible until just before they kill demand. This is commonplace in the free market.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      07-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #917
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
If my DCT goes, I'm torching it and collecting the insurance 🔥🔥Lol. For me, my spun crank hub cost me 15 grand to fix. So far, the m4 has been way more costly then the 458. Of course, it was my
Own doing with the mods I have. Oh well. It's part of the game. Shit break. You fix it and move on. Not
Like you are going to let you vehicle just sit there cause you don't want to spend the money
haha, we mod our M’s until something breaks and then bitch about the reliability.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 05:10 PM   #918
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
haha, we mod our M’s until something breaks and then bitch about the reliability.
That's every car it seems. Lol. I couldn't believe the dealer didn't cover it:-)🙃🤣
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:18 PM   #919
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dealers add ADM because they can. That's why the term dealers use "market adjustment" is actually accurate. They're simply adjusting the street price as high as possible until just before they kill demand. This is commonplace in the free market.
Which is why if you're not on the list with any of the "big 3" dealers, corvette dealers that is, then that was mistake number 1 on your part. The big 3 are selling at MSRP.

I'm glad i got on the list back in late 2019 lol. I knew this car would be amazing.
Appreciate 1
Donatello.1231.50
      07-25-2022, 06:47 PM   #920
Mike00
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Z06 M7

Quote:

You see, that's my dilemma. My C7Z is a manual and while i am tired of manuals, it's just a car that has a lot of sentimental value to it. I got the car when i was still in love with manuals, i got it brand new, i got at a heavy discount. It was the exact spec i wanted. White with red seats, black wheels and carbon flash bits. And i got it a month before my dad passed away. My dad didn't even love corvettes as he was a supra guy lol, but he was so excited when i showed him the car. He kept on saying he was jealous and he wanted a ride. But the car still being new to me, i wanted to get familiar with the car first before i gave him a ride to show what it can do. So i kept pushing it off. Well a month later he suffered a stroke and passed I still regret not giving him that ride.

So that's why i'm not sure if i wanna sell it yet. I don't need to. It's paid off. So i may just get my C8 stingray and C8Z, use the stingray for a year, then sell it. Then enjoy both z06's. Or maybe i will find closure and just sell the C7Z and have 2 C8's.

I really don't know what to do.

BUt like i said above, we're lucky if we have to make these types of decisions, especially in this economy.
Sorry to hear about your father and I can only begin to imagine the draw to hold onto the car given what happened. I definitely get that and did the same with my father in my last few cars - so my sympathies.

The thing about the manual is for a backroad drive or when I have a break in work and just want to relax - it’s hard ot beat it. I work from home, have a Grand Cherokee daily and if it’s a toy I just like rowing the gears. Otherwise I’d probably have a C8 already.

If I get a second toy I just am not sure I would enjoy it as much as the manual. The 911 S/GTS and the GT4 really call to me and would be fun manual cars - not to mention hold their price.

I love my Z06 one thing I am sure about is I never need more power than it is. You just can’t use it - so the 911 or 781 holds a certain appeal at this point given the power levels cars have reached. The handling on them has always been incredible.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      07-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #921
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
In the end, we're lucky to have these types of problems. Most people, even ones i know, have a tough time just just paying rent. And they're driving around in a 2005 honda accord or something. That's why i never gloat what i have, because i was once in their shoes. I basically had nothing and had to work my way to what i have now. I am definitely blessed.

100% true. I grew up in a trailer park after my parents got divorced.

Like you said, that we can sit around and talk about what cars we want and not be so worried if we can make the mortgage and such. I wouldn't say privileged/blessed, because we all worked hard to get where we are.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7926.50
BGM-M3COMP2329.50
      07-25-2022, 09:46 PM   #922
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Imagine driving your C and then this happens…
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/iNlksnCj8-g
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #923
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike00 View Post
Sorry to hear about your father and I can only begin to imagine the draw to hold onto the car given what happened. I definitely get that and did the same with my father in my last few cars - so my sympathies.

The thing about the manual is for a backroad drive or when I have a break in work and just want to relax - it’s hard ot beat it. I work from home, have a Grand Cherokee daily and if it’s a toy I just like rowing the gears. Otherwise I’d probably have a C8 already.

If I get a second toy I just am not sure I would enjoy it as much as the manual. The 911 S/GTS and the GT4 really call to me and would be fun manual cars - not to mention hold their price.

I love my Z06 one thing I am sure about is I never need more power than it is. You just can’t use it - so the 911 or 781 holds a certain appeal at this point given the power levels cars have reached. The handling on them has always been incredible.
Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Actually you touched on something that is relevant to me getting the M3 in the first place. I wanted something i can take out randomly after work that is fun to drive, that i DON'T have to shift. I used to do that early on with the C7Z but i found it was more of a chore and annoying to go for a random drive after work than actually driving for enjoyment. I would take a drive around 6pm, leave my neighborhood, hop on the freeway and then bam. Parking lot. It took me 30 minutes to move 1 mile. It was the worst. There were times where i didn't even leave the freeway section of my town because it was so much traffic, i just took the first exit i could and went home lol. So 40 minutes later i drove about 3 miles total because of all that traffic. It was the worst.

So i saved my C7Z drives for the weekend only and the M3 took over for any other joy rides in between. Then my tesla for the commute. I think it balances it out perfectly that way.

I don't really like driving manual much anymore. I only made it an exception because for the reason i said above about the sentimental value. And because the C7Z is fucking badass, even to this day. The sound, the INSANE torque, the attention i get from this car is hard to give up. Plus it's been the most reliable car i had, EVER. Not a single CEL. Battery is still original. I have no weird engine bay noises, no squeaks. The only thing that rattled in my ownership was my steering wheel buttons. Which i replaced. Other than a few rock chips and my driver seat wearing a bit, the car looks and drives like brand new. It's hard to give this up. So we'll see as i get closer to both my C8's coming.

Quote:
100% true. I grew up in a trailer park after my parents got divorced.

Like you said, that we can sit around and talk about what cars we want and not be so worried if we can make the mortgage and such. I wouldn't say privileged/blessed, because we all worked hard to get where we are.
Definitely man. Nothing was given to me. I earned everything i had. I think people who show off things they have usually means it was given to them or they inherited it the easy way.

Those who worked hard to get what they have are usually humble and don't need to flaunt it.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #924
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

best solution is manual for the weekend and dct or a good auto for the everyday. Doing the opposite isn't as fun imo.

i sold my 458 and bought a manual gt3 once they became available for the 991.2 generation. Sold my 6mt f80 and will find something auto to replace it with. probably an e92 m3.

the gt3 is very similar to the 458 in terms of weight, power, displacement, and performance. unfortunately there is nothing similar to the vette that is a manual at that price range.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT

Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | F87 M2c | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0