BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #111
bucketfoot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW 230i xDrive

Garage List
My take would be that the Accord driver is 100% responsible, but that the truck driver certainly could have helped to de-escalate the situation rather than escalating it.

That said, even if the truck driver had just moved over, the douche in the Accord would have just come up on another car further down the road and ultimately the end result would have been something similar.
minn1914521.50
antgenn340.00
DETRoadster11479.50
      02-03-2022, 07:01 PM   #112
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
My take would be that the Accord driver is 100% responsible, but that the truck driver certainly could have helped to de-escalate the situation rather than escalating it.

That said, even if the truck driver had just moved over, the douche in the Accord would have just come up on another car further down the road and ultimately the end result would have been something similar.
You know, your mild-mannered, reasonable and fair assessment is sadly lacking ITT. Just incredible the amount of ppl arguing otherwise. Just eye-opening.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26682.50
      02-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #113
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Appreciate 3
wtwo318711.00
Sedan_Clan26682.50
minn1914521.50
      02-03-2022, 07:13 PM   #114
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I believe you 100%, it's your job to know these things. I guess I have been told incorrectly in the past that if you're in the left lane and someone wants to pass that you must move. This is good to know, thanks for that!

I do feel like if this went to court the lawyers would find some fault with the truck driver for his obviously reckless blocking of the other driver.
You haven't been told incorrectly. It's absolutely the right thing to do, to use the left lane only for passing and then move back into the right lane as soon as you're done with your passing maneuver and it's safe to do so.

I think the issue is, at least here in the US... that isn't a law (and if it is then it definitely isn't enforced) It's common driving courtesy, which many people lack. So from that angle the truck was being an asshole, but he wasn't technically breaking any laws. The accord on the other hand was speeding and overtook from the shoulder which is definitely illegal.

I maintain my original thought. While the accord is at fault... both drivers are complete morons and more or less represent a large chunk of drivers in the US.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 5
shiftdnb379.00
minn1914521.50
///MPhatic14941.50
Kilabyte3956.00
      02-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #115
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Just incredible the amount of ppl arguing otherwise. Just eye-opening.
What we are arguing here is your justifying someone being a dick in order to stick it to another dick while not realizing that both dicks could have fucked over a lot of innocent people.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 07:15 PM   #116
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

There we have it. Deductive reasoning and well implemented rationale.

Appreciate 3
minn1914521.50
BIGW0RM3616.50
sygazelle12413.00
      02-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #117
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
What we are arguing here is your justifying someone being a dick in order to stick it to another dick while not realizing that both dicks could have fucked over a lot of innocent people.
I never said such things in the way you framed it. I think you just like making up arguments besides getting it all wrong Accord vs truck, what's wrong w you?

Like I said ad nauseum, imo they both were dangerous/did potentially dangerous things (now, some may not have been citable as per Sedan's analysis but I think we can all agree what both did was either a bit or quite reckless), but they were not equally dangerous or was the truck more dangerous than the Accord - the Accord was the instigator, more aggressive one and caused his own accident...why is that so hard for you to understanding and accept?

Also, you might think it was a + claiming st cred stating you were in law enforcement (supposedly implying you were a LEO) but to me that's a big - , someone that emotional, unevenly-keeled and w such temperament could be roaming the streets. *shudder*
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 07:35 PM   #118
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
You haven't been told incorrectly. It's absolutely the right thing to do, to use the left lane only for passing and then move back into the right lane as soon as you're done with your passing maneuver and it's safe to do so.

I think the issue is, at least here in the US... that isn't a law (and if it is then it definitely isn't enforced) It's common driving courtesy, which many people lack. So from that angle the truck was being an asshole, but he wasn't technically breaking any laws. The accord on the other hand was speeding and overtook from the shoulder which is definitely illegal.

I maintain my original thought. While the accord is at fault... both drivers are complete morons and more or less represent a large chunk of drivers in the US.
Yes, the driver's ed in N Amer seems very lacking. I remember I saw the 'keep-right' info in the textbook but the instructors never once brought it up and so I never learned how to go about it - I had to figure it out myself on the highways and it's a great sys but I would daresay it appears virtually nobody does it.
Appreciate 2
wtwo318711.00
vreihen1619142.00
      02-03-2022, 07:42 PM   #119
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, the driver's ed in N Amer seems very lacking. I remember I saw the 'keep-right' info in the textbook but the instructors never once brought it up and so I never learned how to go about it - I had to figure it out myself on the highways and it's a great sys but I would daresay it appears virtually nobody does it.
Too many people only give a shit about themselves.
Appreciate 2
minn1914521.50
vreihen1619142.00
      02-03-2022, 07:44 PM   #120
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Too many people only give a shit about themselves.
Ya, true.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #121
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I never said such things in the way you framed it.
Quote:
Not sure why some ppl are placing the blame on the truck, guess they rage up if they see someone blocking the PASSing lane too? Just chill or else you may end up like Accord dude.
Quote:
Ya, I've noticed ppl ITT who solely wish to blame the truck have ANGER MGT ISSUES and probably act like the Accord
Quote:
Accord did it all by himself. The truck PO'd him for sure, but Accord could've controlled himself but didn't since he was raging already. How about taking responsibility for the Accord (or yourself in past events perhaps?)
Quote:
Maybe he's the Accord dude LMAO

Agreed, he definitely needs to zip it. Talk about not losing w grace haha.
Quote:
Also, you might think it was a + claiming st cred stating you were in law enforcement (supposedly implying you were a LEO) but to me that's a big - , someone that emotional, unevenly-keeled and w such temperament could be roaming the streets. *shudder*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We aren't going to agree, so let's just move on. I'm the one out here working the road and going to court over these matters. I know what the courts look for to establish a violation of the statute.

You make it personal by claiming me pointing out what the truck did wrong is somehow making me just like the accord driver. You troll me by saying I'm solely blaming the truck, again making it personal. I respond to a comment with my similar experience and somehow I'm in the wrong here. I'm the irrational one. Whatever man. You're exactly like the truck driver. Doesn't need to be a dick but is just a dick because he can be.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 08:08 PM   #122
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:

At least he took himself out and not a minivan full of little kids come back from school. Another way of looking at this.
Appreciate 1
chowser512099.50
      02-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #123
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You make it personal by claiming me pointing out what the truck did wrong is somehow making me just like the accord driver. You troll me by saying I'm solely blaming the truck, again making it personal. I respond to a comment with my similar experience and somehow I'm in the wrong here. I'm the irrational one. Whatever man. You're exactly like the truck driver. Doesn't need to be a dick but is just a dick because he can be.
Pfft, what personal? Like Sedan said, you clearly have reading comprehension prbs. I already said they both are not innocent, but I said that the Accord was worse (and I've +1 several other comments that stated something similar); our resident expert said that legally the Accord was 100% to blame in fact. Yet you continue to argue otherwise and erroneously claim that the truck was worse!

Like I said, you mitigate the Accord's actions while trying to exaggerate the truck's so obviously you're siding w the Accord. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Finally, like I said yet again, I don't drive like the truck or the Accord - I can't stand drivers like that. I always try to stay right if safe/possible, use left for passing and get right back. Somehow this translates into me being pro-truck? Get real.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26682.50
      02-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #124
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Pfft, what personal?

Like I said, you mitigate the Accord's actions while trying to exaggerate the truck's so obviously you're siding w the Accord. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Finally, like I said yet again, I don't drive like the truck or the Accord - I can't stand drivers like that. I always try to stay right if safe/possible, use left for passing and get right back. Somehow this translates into me being pro-truck? Get real.
The contradiction in these three sentences is astounding. Didn't get personal, get's personal, then says don't do what I just did to you
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 08:47 PM   #125
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Are you kidding me!?! You post a video of the truck doing this and still don't want to blame the truck driver at all!?! Why is the truck hitting the brakes when no one in front of him. That's brake checking and 100% if you showed this to Police that truck driver would be charged with wreckless driving as well as the Accord. If you ask me the truck driver is more at fault for simply being an asshole in the left lane.
^^^

...and in addition to brake checking him and blocking the Accord, the truck sped up quickly as the Accord was idiotically going on the shoulder to block the Accord yet again. If the truck had kept his/her speed, the Accord would have had room to make that stupid move. The truck changed the timing by speeding up significantly. From my chair, these two idiots are equally at fault.

My personally approach is to stay out of the fast lane unless I'm passing or there is no one behind. It's so much easier and safer that way. Also, if some idiot just has to get ahead in traffic even when there is no place to go, I just let go on by.

Nothing is worth the results of this incident. The truck didn't know if that asshat in the Accord had a passenger or even kids in the back seat. What is the point. Too much fast and furious.
Appreciate 4
shiftdnb379.00
Esteban51175.50
antgenn340.00
Dino GT35063.50
      02-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #126
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The contradiction in these three sentences is astounding. Didn't get personal, get's personal, then says don't do what I just did to you
Dude, you're not.making.any.sense.at.all. "don't do what I did to you" what??? You really think you're onto something? Living in your own world. If it's 'personal', you have paper-mache for skin. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #127
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
ANYBODY blaming the truck for that accident is being purposely obtuse and likely does not understand traffic laws/right of way. The Accord driver is at fault 100%. Not only was the driver following too closely/tailgating, the driver also made a flagrant unsafe lane change, was traveling too fast for the conditions AND illegally passed on the right shoulder. All of those reckless driving conditions caused that traffic collision, not the vehicle speed of the truck in the +1 lane.

There is no doubt the Accord is the main cause of the accident, but the driver of the truck:

1) Brake checked several times.
2) Blocked the fast lane to keep the Accord from progressing
3) Sped up significantly while the Accord was making his asshat move on the shoulder to once again block the Accord from progressing.
4) Left the scene of an accident to which he/she was involved.

If you were on duty in this situation and saw what is shown on the two videos, would you have just let the truck go on his way?
Appreciate 2
shiftdnb379.00
antgenn340.00
      02-03-2022, 09:25 PM   #128
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
ANYBODY blaming the truck for that accident is being purposely obtuse and likely does not understand traffic laws/right of way. The Accord driver is at fault 100%. Not only was the driver following too closely/tailgating, the driver also made a flagrant unsafe lane change, was traveling too fast for the conditions AND illegally passed on the right shoulder. All of those reckless driving conditions caused that traffic collision, not the vehicle speed of the truck in the +1 lane.

There is no doubt the Accord is the main cause of the accident, but the driver of the truck:

1) Brake checked several times.
2) Blocked the fast lane to keep the Accord from progressing
3) Sped up significantly while the Accord was making his asshat move on the shoulder to once again block the Accord from progressing.
4) Left the scene of an accident to which he/she was involved.

If you were on duty in this situation and saw what is shown on the two videos, would you have just let the truck go on his way?
You guys truly are lacking understanding about this incident. I don't know how else to articulate this to you.

The driver of the truck clearly brake checked the driver of the Accord because of his behavior. From the beginning of the video we see the Accord driver tailgating the Mercedes SUV. We then observe the driver of the Accord change lanes and begin tailgating the white truck while also lane straddling/failing to maintain his lane on a divided highway…….yet, another vehicle code violation (…what's that?….at least FIVE vehicle code violations for the Accord driver?!?).

The truck had dominion/right of way over the #1 lane. He was not obligated to give up that right of way. It is the responsibility of the other party to enter the lane safely. Nothing you guys say can mitigate the Accord driver's actions. In fact, the video serves the purpose of painting the picture that the Accord driver was driving recklessly enough to cause another motorist to begin filming. Furthermore, the truck WAS NOT involved in the collision so he had no obligation by law to stop.

If I were on duty and saw this video, I would have cited the Accord driver without hesitation.
Appreciate 3
BIGW0RM3616.50
chowser512099.50
      02-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #129
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.00]
Quote:
You guys truly are lacking understanding about this incident. I don't know how else to articulate this to you.

The driver of the truck clearly brake checked the driver of the Accord because of his behavior. From the beginning of the video we see the Accord driver tailgating the Mercedes SUV. We then observe the driver of the Accord change lanes and begin tailgating the white truck while also lane straddling/failing to maintain his lane on a divided highway…….yet, another vehicle code violation (…what's that?….at least FIVE vehicle code violations for the Accord driver?!?).

The truck had dominion/right of way over the #1 lane. He was not obligated to give up that right of way. It is the responsibility of the other party to enter the lane safely. Nothing you guys say can mitigate the Accord driver's actions. In fact, the video serves the purpose of painting the picture that the Accord driver was driving recklessly enough to cause another motorist to begin filming. Furthermore, the truck WAS NOT involved in the collision so he had no obligation by law to stop.

If I were on duty and saw this video, I would have cited the Accord driver without hesitation.

I agree and support your rational 100%. I wish the world had more LEO's like you.
      02-03-2022, 09:38 PM   #130
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

First if you were a cop on the Palisades that day you would have cited the truck for being on the Palisades in the first place.

Second, which video are you looking at? The first one or the second one? What you described is only the first one and doesn't include the initial brake check going from 70 to 55
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:38 PM   #131
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Quote:

I agree and support your rational 100%. I wish the world had more LEO's like you.
I appreciate it bro.

Unfortunately many people don't understand traffic law(s), thus, are unable to comprehend who bears the blame/who is at fault. They also fail to understand that when we investigate these incidents and write traffic reports, there is a PCF (..primary collision factor) and there are associated factors. The PCF is the actual cause, and in this case there are at least THREE that the Accord driver committed. The remaining violations are associated factors.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #132
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

First if you were a cop on the Palisades that day you would have cited the truck for being on the Palisades in the first place.

Second, which video are you looking at? The first one or the second one? What you described is only the first one and doesn't include the initial brake check going from 70 to 55
In the second video, the Accord driver is traveling too fast for the conditions at the onset of the video…….yet, still, another vehicle code violation (…that makes SIX violations for the Accord driver). It leads me to believe the Accord driver started the shenanigans prior to the filming and the driver of the white truck was either, A) already fed up, and/or B) trying to get the driver of the Accord to chill out.

The Accord driver was the antagonist. Just accept it.
Appreciate 1