BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #111
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
why does he have to buy a new car? Depreciation is a bitch...50% in 3 years on average for almost every car.

Seriously, I'm not joking, he should buy my E90 M3 with 52k miles for $30k. That car may depreciate another $5-10k in the next 2 years, and then hold steady from that point on.

He certainly doesn't have to buy new, and including used cars in the search opens a wide array of options such as your E90 M3 which would definitely tempt me if I were in his position. I just figured I'd throw a few new car ideas out there that are roughly half the price of the new M3 he is/was considering.
      08-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #112
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic
it's a bunch of savy people in this thread. It really trips me out when I hear the default rate is close to 30% on student loans.
I find it even more hysterical when pay day lending were doing 496% interest rates lol...

And then they wonder why the CFPB would come cracking down on them...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #113
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResoKP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
My situation is likely much different from others here.

I've owned 5 primary houses in my young life, with the first house I bought at 27. I currently have a couple investment properties for long term holds.

I've cleared profit on EVERY primary house, more so than any other investment where I place $$ over the same time period.

Favorable tax laws allow the owner to deduct interest and other items (closing costs, taxes, etc...), coupled with basically free $$ to borrow. I see little downside to placing $ into a real and tangible investment.

Additionally - when the asset is sold, no capital gain taxes...!

How is this not a win/win.

Even if the OP's cash flow is tight, rent out rooms to help cover the mtg, then sell in 2 years and pocket the $$.
Was the first property you bought when you were 27 priced at $800K+ (indexed to inflation)? Would you have been able to do exactly what you did if that was the case?

Times have changed.. RE is harder to get in for the 20's in today's market.
First - the house wasn't even close to 800k....adjusted or otherwise.

I think you may be missing the basic element of my comment....and no one is saying buy a 800k home now.

Qualifying for loans haven't changed much - it's still 'documented sources of repayment' as the first hurdle.

$1k per month for a car is the WORST thing a young professional can do....all I am saying, better places to park that monthly outgoing cash flow for a significantly greater return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:02 PM   #114
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
My father in law is in one sweet fucking situation with his passive income. He owns a 4-unit apartment building (not rent controlled). From rental income alone, he grosses $100k a year. Assume after property taxes, insurance and upkeep, he clears $70k before income taxes. Needless to say, he doesn't have to work today, but he still does and likely clears a good $100k of gross income in his job too...just fucking amazing. Oh, don't even think about property appreciation, he could probably retire forever if he decides to sell, I'm thinking the full building is worth north of $12-$15m today (depends on your IRR assumption).
There's a 4-unit locally high on my wish list that I've been salivating over, just a matter of getting the capital together for it. Definitely a sweet setup if you can find one. 4-units kinda hit that sweet spot where scale starts to help; high cash flow, but relatively low overhead from one physical building.

It's a tough game to get into, but if you're willing to put in the work the payoff is there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #115
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
There's a 4-unit locally high on my wish list that I've been salivating over, just a matter of getting the capital together for it. Definitely a sweet setup if you can find one. 4-units kinda hit that sweet spot where scale starts to help; high cash flow, but relatively low overhead from one physical building.

It's a tough game to get into, but if you're willing to put in the work the payoff is there.
what metro area are you in btw?

Here in SF proper, 4-unit is also one criteria to squeeze in under rent control provisions, in addition to building age, etc. These days in SF, you can't even get into a 4-unit without multiple investors. I mean, they're at least $1m per unit.
      08-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #116
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
have you taken account of the temperature affects the air volume? You need to brush up on your basic Ideal Gas Laws son! PV=NRT! Tattoo this equation into your brain before you bring this weak shit into conversation.

Do you even Ideal Gas bruh? Glad you ain't designing my Michelins!
I think he follows the Roger Goodell Ideal Gas Law. Pressure does not change at all no matter what unless someone is cheating.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #117
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla Highland 3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
That's bad advice... You can live in a car you can't drive a house
So you're saying I should buy a RV. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I wonder what kind of mods are available for RVs. Does BMS make anything? Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #118
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Guys I don't think OP is even paying attention to this thread anymore.... We're all just relaying our own personal financial advice to the random space that is OT BP
Appreciate 1
RJ_1204.00
      08-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #119
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
So you're saying I should buy a RV. I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I wonder what kind of mods are available for RVs. Does BMS make anything? Dinan?
no, it'll be a custom GT35R turbo running 17 psi of boost, max. But I'm sure you can get anyone to fabricate a custom FBO setup with a single canister side exit exhaust.

08-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #120
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
I think he follows the Roger Goodell Ideal Gas Law. Pressure does not change at all no matter what unless someone is cheating.
~\o "These tires are perfect" o/~
      08-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #121
brandoningram14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks guy - all great points to consider. I do want to point out that everything here is 1MM+ and if I bought a 1MM house and it goes under water I'm royally fucked for many, many years and that the housing prices for the Bay Area is literally just a straight line up and I don't see the upside in buying. I could with a conventional 97 plus PMI, etc. If I had a promise from a genie that the prices wouldn't go down, id gladly buy a house (especially a multi unit for passive income) and a drive a beater. Given that this won't happen, I thought it'd be okay to enjoy life and splurge a little on a car but obviously not a 71k one

I contribute to a 50% matching 401k and my parents don't have any money. I had to wash dishes and clean tables to pay for college.
Appreciate 2
jtodd_fl6707.00
jgoens3824.00
      08-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #122
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla Highland 3P

Quote:
no, it'll be a custom GT35R turbo running 17 psi of boost, max. But I'm sure you can get anyone to fabricate a custom FBO setup with a single canister side exit exhaust.

That seems like a great platform to start with! My new goal is to make the RV go 60 miles per hour we hit the quarter mile. Overnight some parts from Japan; this shouldn't be a problem.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace5010.50
      08-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #123
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoningram14 View Post
Thanks guy - all great points to consider. I do want to point out that everything here is 1MM+ and if I bought a 1MM house and it goes under water I'm royally fucked for many, many years and that the housing prices for the Bay Area is literally just a straight line up and I don't see the upside in buying. I could with a conventional 97 plus PMI, etc. If I had a promise from a genie that the prices wouldn't go down, id gladly buy a house (especially a multi unit for passive income) and a drive a beater. Given that this won't happen, I thought it'd be okay to enjoy life and splurge a little on a car but obviously not a 71k one

I contribute to a 50% matching 401k and my parents don't have any money. I had to wash dishes and clean tables to pay for college.
Good for you. Keep at it. This type of commitment and work ethic is why the time will come for you. Don't lose your patience. Live some and plan for the future some.
      08-22-2016, 01:33 PM   #124
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
all this talk, yet nothing on the other side of the equation...Income. What's your monthly DTI bruh?

I'm going to give it to you straight here, unless you make over $100k+, you can't afford a $71k car...not in the Bay Area. Hell my wife and I both make over $100k each, and we can't afford a $71k car.

Do you even care about things like retirement, tax advantaged savings like a Roth IRA, building equity in property, passive income sources and having a brokerage/investment account?

My household has checked every box above and contributed for it and the max we're willing to spend on any car is still in the $50k range. And I had to dig hard into convincing my wife I can sell my M3 for $30k to come out of pocket $20k. Hell the most I've paid for any car to date is $46k (for my M3 in 2010), and that's after selling a car worth $13k to come out of pocket $33k. Our monthly debt-to-income is roughly 3%, likely less. I want to say, after basic living expense (including taxes), we bank and invest about 90% what's left. And yes, we own a house, in SF no less.

Let me put it this way, your goal in life is to set up a retirement where you monthly income is $1000...and you can afford a $71k car EVERY YEAR when you retire, how does that sound?
what the fuck is this post that made 100% sense about? you smoking something?
      08-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #125
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Guys I don't think OP is even paying attention to this thread anymore.... We're all just relaying our own personal financial advice to the random space that is OT BP
And this differs from any/all other OT threads how????

Rookie

banned
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6707.00
      08-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #126
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
And this differs from any/all other OT threads how????

Rookie

banned
Forgive me, I'm fairly new to OT, as I'm fairly new to wasting time aimlessly on OT
Appreciate 1
bimmette6432.50
      08-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #127
ResoKP
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
First - the house wasn't even close to 800k....adjusted or otherwise.

I think you may be missing the basic element of my comment....and no one is saying buy a 800k home now.

Qualifying for loans haven't changed much - it's still 'documented sources of repayment' as the first hurdle.

$1k per month for a car is the WORST thing a young professional can do....all I am saying, better places to park that monthly outgoing cash flow for a significantly greater return.
I was saying from the beginning that he should buy neither... and instead save/invest it towards his retirement funds.

"all I am saying, better places to park that monthly outgoing cash flow for a significantly greater return" - you were saying this in reference to buying a house for the property appreciation gains.. where you said "Home ownership is power....IMO, that's what OP should invest in..."

And I was countering that argument by saying that OP lives in the Bay area where everything is $1M+. He can't even entertain the idea of home ownership in this market.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #128
shoguniori31
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Bmw 428i MT

In houston thats a 4 bedroom house mortgage
      08-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #129
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoningram14

Nothing wrong working your way through college. For many - it teaches the true value of $$.

My best advise - invest in yourself and your future wisely, whatever the choice. Maximize 401k whenever possible and remain diversified in long term investments (stocks, mutuals, RE, etc) to reduce risk.

I have planned as if government assistance will not exist when I am ready to retire. You would be wise to do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #130
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoningram14 View Post

I don't understand why anyone who's young and makes a good income has to explain yourself in terms of how you came about to your success. Who care's if your parents paid for school or they didn't. Or whether or not you are buying the m3 / m4 on your own money.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #131
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Over a thousand in monthly car note sounds a bit ridiculous. You're net take home pay is around $5000/mo after taxes and 401k right?

Minus rent $1700. Minus car $1000. You have $2300 left. Minus insurance. Minus groceries. Minus bills. Minus hookers.

Or, why don't you just lease the car for three years for much less and see where you are then? I don't mind leases because I don't mind swapping cars every three years.

But I'm not the right person to be giving advice because my priorities are whack. Money goes to car first for me even with baby on the way. But as others have said #YOLO
I'm pretty much with you here. Owing on a car is not something I'd do.

But then again he's in his early 20's. No wife, no kids and it's not like most of the folks at that time want to tie down a house to their backs.

I sold my first dream car two days after I realized I was pregnant. After that my life was mortgages, making money and making sure I wasn't just investing the labor we put in to a bad place. When I bought Peter I was in a place where spending the money wasn't an issue at all.

So the young Anna says fuck it, get it. The 34 year old anna says fuck it, get it.

The 34 year old anna might also end up paying 200 000 euros for her next car but the damn kids soon will need transportation again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
How would you know this? Did mommy catch you jerking off to some Big Foot porn ?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #132
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Over a thousand in monthly car note sounds a bit ridiculous. You're net take home pay is around $5000/mo after taxes and 401k right?

Minus rent $1700. Minus car $1000. You have $2300 left. Minus insurance. Minus groceries. Minus bills. Minus hookers.

Or, why don't you just lease the car for three years for much less and see where you are then? I don't mind leases because I don't mind swapping cars every three years.

But I'm not the right person to be giving advice because my priorities are whack. Money goes to car first for me even with baby on the way. But as others have said #YOLO
I'm pretty much with you here. Owing on a car is not something I'd do.

But then again he's in his early 20's. No wife, no kids and it's not like most of the folks at that time want to tie down a house to their backs.

I sold my first dream car two days after I realized I was pregnant. After that my life was mortgages, making money and making sure I wasn't just investing the labor we put in to a bad place. When I bought Peter I was in a place where spending the money wasn't an issue at all.

So the young Anna says fuck it, get it. The 34 year old anna says fuck it, get it.

The 34 year old anna might also end up paying 200 000 euros for her next car but the damn kids soon will need transportation again.
You can put them all to work anyways... Have them start making carbon fiber bits and whatnot... You have enough of them to start a factory...

Appreciate 0