BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-05-2016, 02:49 AM   #1
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Unhappy Retrofit touch command(Samsung tablet)?

Can I retrofit touch command on my 2016 750i ?
Mine doesn't have this package.
I saw a post saying that they successfully retrofitted.
Any ideas how?
I think it's possible to extract that BMW app in the tablet into .apk from someone's touch command.
Then install .apk into a new tablet we buy ourself and then connect to the car via wifi hotspot.
Will this work ?

Here is the post:
http://carsystems.com.ua/news-en/TOU...te-control-en/
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

I have seen tablets sold on Ebay for $800+ USD. Seems kind of expensive if tablet is locked down and limited to use with vehicle.

6U9 BMW Touch Command is an FA SA option code. Not sure if it requires an FSC activation code.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Now...If you car needs a replacement touch command it can be done.
Now According to BMW it CAN NOT be retrofitted to a non pre equipped touch command equipped car.
But if you buy a replacement one I can tell you how to reprogram it to another 7 series
its actually very easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
Now According to BMW it CAN NOT be retrofitted to a non pre equipped touch command equipped car.
But if you buy a replacement one I can tell you how to reprogram it to another 7 series
its actually very easy.
Where do we usually order parts line the touch command?
I did check price in BMW ETK.
But dont know where to order though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
its actually very easy.
A lot of things cannot be retrofitted, according to BMW, like TJA on North American cars. But, if programming is easy, then I imagine it should be possible. That is unless it is somehow locked, like HU_H2 to BDC, starting in November 2016.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhasin View Post
Where do we usually order parts line the touch command?
I did check price in BMW ETK.
But dont know where to order though.
I work for BMW so just from the dealership
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhasin View Post
Can I retrofit touch command on my 2016 750i ?
Mine doesn't have this package.
I saw a post saying that they successfully retrofitted.
Any ideas how?
I think it's possible to extract that BMW app in the tablet into .apk from someone's touch command.
Then install .apk into a new tablet we buy ourself and then connect to the car via wifi hotspot.
Will this work ?

Here is the post:
http://carsystems.com.ua/news-en/TOU...te-control-en/
That one is interesting. Getting the AndroidAuto APK and BMW TCSU Software Package is supposed to be rather difficult and can only use the BMW Tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I have seen tablets sold on Ebay for $800+ USD. Seems kind of expensive if tablet is locked down and limited to use with vehicle.

6U9 BMW Touch Command is an FA SA option code. Not sure if it requires an FSC activation code.
The BMW Tablet can be used normally outside the car as long as it's not pried out of the cradle. It's physically locked in place with two different mechanisms when the car is off and locked. A personl Galaxy Tablet won't lock into or sync with the cradle either.

Quote:
its actually very easy.
BMW won't officially allow it for several reasons, including the apk security, Tablet authentication codes and TCSU Software with the driver file. I believe one person here did do it but it was at a BMW AG owned Regional Service Center.

Quote:
A lot of things cannot be retrofitted, according to BMW, like TJA on North American cars. But, if programming is easy, then I imagine it should be possible. That is unless it is somehow locked, like HU_H2 to BDC, starting in November 2016.
The service docs mention numerous obstacles to unlocking to just run the programming software. Only WUSS facilities have standalone admin software. Dealers have to use the main Workshop or a connected and authenticated Laptop, the Tablet connected to the computer, and the driver key entered on it. The Tablet then remotely executes TCSU.exe. The driver software never leaves ISSS and any additional Android updates are performed as well.

Quote:
I work for BMW so just from the dealership
How do you have WUSS admin rights and hard copies of the softwares?
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2372.50
      11-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
The service docs mention numerous obstacles to unlocking to just run the programming software. Only WUSS facilities have standalone admin software. Dealers have to use the main Workshop or a connected and authenticated Laptop, the Tablet connected to the computer, and the driver key entered on it. The Tablet then remotely executes TCSU.exe. The driver software never leaves ISSS and any additional Android updates are performed as well.
Yes. I read: 20160530_Programmierung Touch Command
Anwenderdokumentation_V3.1_ENG.docx
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Yes. I read: 20160530_Programmierung Touch Command
Anwenderdokumentation_V3.1_ENG.docx
Haha...I'm starting to think you sleep even less than I do.

I'm quite surprised that there hasn't been any significant mention of anyone getting the App Development Kit from BMW Labs and utilizing the full potential of ID5/6 with all the various gadgets attached to it.

AT&T/Harman and the Data Security Provider have now made it easier to keep the wireless transmissions VERY secure without adding more complexity for developers.
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2372.50
      04-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Celesabc
Private
Macao
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
its actually very easy.
I recently upgrade car through ISTA+ but my touch control now always show connecting. Any ideas how to reprogram?

Thanks
Cel
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celesabc View Post
I recently upgrade car through ISTA+ but my touch control now always show connecting. Any ideas how to reprogram?

Thanks
Cel
The only 750 that had this problem happened to be my dads!
We ended up replacing the unit under warranty.
No further issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #12
jos9046
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 750xi, 2011 328i, 2018 X1

Quote:
its actually very easy.
Hi is it possible to tell me how? I bought a CPO 2016 750xi with no tablet so I ordered a replacement tablet from eBay but it won’t connect.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
Gremlin82
Sri Lanka
Rep
Drives: BMW G11, E46, F30

Quote:
its actually very easy.
Could you please let me know how to get this done?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
novumlucis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin82 View Post
Could you please let me know how to get this done?
Did you ever get resolution?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

it's more of a gimmick; all of the functions are reproduced elsewhere (perhaps with the exception of massage program) and actually easier to use hard switches, unless you REALLY feel the need to control things like ambient lighting from the back seat. I am a finger print freak, so it actually bothers me that every time my wife touches the command tablet I have to wipe it clean afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 07:26 PM   #16
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
it's more of a gimmick; all of the functions are reproduced elsewhere (perhaps with the exception of massage program) and actually easier to use hard switches, unless you REALLY feel the need to control things like ambient lighting from the back seat. I am a finger print freak, so it actually bothers me that every time my wife touches the command tablet I have to wipe it clean afterwards.
Maybe buy your wife some very nice gloves? I did not order the rear seat stuff in 2016 and did not order it again for the 2020 that will be a replacement. Not for a single minute did I regret that decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #17
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Maybe buy your wife some very nice gloves? I did not order the rear seat stuff in 2016 and did not order it again for the 2020 that will be a replacement. Not for a single minute did I regret that decision.
ha, I doubt the tablet works with gloves. I just try to keep her out of my car, lol
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #18
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I keep getting private messages with how to program a tablet to a vehicle.
This is the method for a vehicle equipped with the tablet and for whatever reason needs to be reprogrammed.

Step 1 Ensure the touch command tablet is fully turned off (NOT in standby mode)
step 2 Press the following keys, "Home,Volume up and Power" at the same time for 5 seconds.
When you see the android logo, let them go
step 3 a menu selection will come up use the volume keys to scroll through the selections. press the power button to select.Select the "Wipe Data/ Factory Reset option"
step 4 Select "yes delete all user data" and use the power button to confirm it.
step 5 press the power button again to reboot.
Step 6 the tablet will take a bit to reboot but now will prompt you to reconnect to the vehicle.
Step 7 use the set up wizard inside the vehicle (essentially just act liker you are going to hook up a phone but select the touch command tablet option instead)
Step 8 while the car is looking for the tablet, on the tablet itself select reconnect to vehicle.

Once again what can be done and what BMW tells can't be are 2 entirely different things. I just don't want to be held responsible lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #19
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Quote:
I keep getting private messages with how to program a tablet to a vehicle.
This is the method for a vehicle equipped with the tablet and for whatever reason needs to be reprogrammed.

Step 1 Ensure the touch command tablet is fully turned off (NOT in standby mode)
step 2 Press the following keys, "Home,Volume up and Power" at the same time for 5 seconds.
When you see the android logo, let them go
step 3 a menu selection will come up use the volume keys to scroll through the selections. press the power button to select.Select the "Wipe Data/ Factory Reset option"
step 4 Select "yes delete all user data" and use the power button to confirm it.
step 5 press the power button again to reboot.
Step 6 the tablet will take a bit to reboot but now will prompt you to reconnect to the vehicle.
Step 7 use the set up wizard inside the vehicle (essentially just act liker you are going to hook up a phone but select the touch command tablet option instead)
Step 8 while the car is looking for the tablet, on the tablet itself select reconnect to vehicle.

Once again what can be done and what BMW tells can't be are 2 entirely different things. I just don't want to be held responsible lol.
Quick question I know you get bombarded but will any year tablet work from my16-20 or is it year specific? Asking because i have noticed that mine is very slow now use to be much quicker and I have also noticed that at times it takes forever to connect and when starting up it asks for my password but before I could enter it it reboots itself wondering because I was thinking of just getting a new one
      11-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #20
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

My 16 750 did not come with the rear tablet, what is the hardware needed to retrofit this? Can I just VO code the car with the Touch Command and follow the above procedure?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #21
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post
Quick question I know you get bombarded but will any year tablet work from my16-20 or is it year specific? Asking because i have noticed that mine is very slow now use to be much quicker and I have also noticed that at times it takes forever to connect and when starting up it asks for my password but before I could enter it it reboots itself wondering because I was thinking of just getting a new one

2020 uses a different software on the tablet.
It has much more limited functionality as a tablet and seems to only function as an accessory to the car.
They aren't vin specific but with the 2020 facelift it saw a change.
Avoid that and you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post

2020 uses a different software on the tablet.
It has much more limited functionality as a tablet and seems to only function as an accessory to the car.
They aren't vin specific but with the 2020 facelift it saw a change.
Avoid that and you'll be fine.
Ok thanx a million now It makes sense why the 2020 was cheaper than the older ones.I saw them on eBay and I was lost as to why the newer one costs less !!