BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-16-2020, 03:24 AM   #1
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

BMW Connected App location.

When using the BMW connected app. If you click on locate vehicle. Is the location shown a live location? Or is it the last known location of the car?

Reason I'm asking is looking at trackers and don't want to go wasting my money if the car is already reporting it's location when requested.

If, say for example, some little oiks decided to stick my car on the back of a tow truck. Would I be able to track it? Or would it still report the last location from when the ignition was on?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Spoke to BMW today on a different topic and asked.

It's the last reported location of the car. Not live.

So tracker it is. Back to searching.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Might be worth double checking, as the app has the ability to wake the car and do things, such as the 3D live camera view etc - I thought the locate vehicle was live too, as I have just done mine and is is reporting current date and time - and I am in a different country to the car at present and have been for a couple of weeks.
Al Pinã1838.50
      01-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

The thing is, it is still quite useful if your car gets stolen from a keyless theft. As when they switch off the car or hide it wherever, a location is saved and you can check it on your phone.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Might be worth double checking, as the app has the ability to wake the car and do things, such as the 3D live camera view etc - I thought the locate vehicle was live too, as I have just done mine and is is reporting current date and time - and I am in a different country to the car at present and have been for a couple of weeks.
If you are looking for a way to track the car while it is moving you will need something other than BMW connected. Moreover, while the app can wake the car and can locate where it was last stopped, it can only do so where is a decent cell signal. I have a house that in a dead areas as far as cell signals go and if I drive into my garage and lock the car, the BMW app will show the last location where it was parked before the home location. I think based on what I have seem "stopped" for purposes of the app means the engine has been turned off for at a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am in a different country too at the moment and have also been away for a bit. The chap I spoke to was adamant it is not live. It is triggered by a functioning of the ignition he said. I was confused too given one screen reports the date I locked it and the other says the current time and date. He didn’t seem to be able to explain the difference in dates.

I also have remote 3D view. But doesn’t seem to alter the date and time on the first screen. I suppose the only way to be sure would be to tow it and see if the location changes.

I’ll get a proper tracker anyway just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
I am in a different country too at the moment and have also been away for a bit. The chap I spoke to was adamant it is not live. It is triggered by a functioning of the ignition he said. I was confused too given one screen reports the date I locked it and the other says the current time and date. He didn’t seem to be able to explain the difference in dates.

I also have remote 3D view. But doesn’t seem to alter the date and time on the first screen. I suppose the only way to be sure would be to tow it and see if the location changes.

If someone put it onto a low loader and took it away, you wouldn’t know, but if they cloned or stole the key, then you’d see where it was parked. However, it’s really easy to switch off GPS tracking in the menu, so not a security feature.

You’ll need a proper tracker, or my security system, GAP insurance!
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Quote:

If someone put it onto a low loader and took it away, you wouldn’t know, but if they cloned or stole the key, then you’d see where it was parked. However, it’s really easy to switch off GPS tracking in the menu, so not a security feature.

You’ll need a proper tracker, or my security system, GAP insurance!
The chap I spoke to said the same about disabling GPS in the iDrive. I have a disklok on the steering wheel and also keep the key in a faraday box. I

Plus I have CCTV around the house. And I'm considering an Autowatch Ghost 2 immobiliser. So really it's only going to be someone who badly wants the car and will tow it away.

I was looking at trackers and then was told about these from a friend in the police last night!

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/400037...bilesitedetail

Even a USB version that can plug into a power bank if the cars 12v sockets are off!!!

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/100000...38;cn=&dp=

Trust the Chinese to make stuff cheap and easy!

So I'm in two minds over the tracker now.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

How do you do the 3D Live View on the app? Is this for later models than 2016? Thanks

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

From the iPhone BMW Connected Drive App. When you click on the app, the car extends its mirrors, and takes a picture using front, rear and wing mirror cameras and knits them together and sends back to you phone - you can then view on the phone from above and then move around the car (and through it) to see all the surroundings. It is quite impressive!
      01-20-2020, 02:28 AM   #11
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
How do you do the 3D Live View on the app? Is this for later models than 2016? Thanks
Mine was built early 2017 and doesn’t have the 3D view on the app.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:53 AM   #12
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Quote:
Mine was built early 2017 and doesn’t have the 3D view on the app.
You may have to try to use it.

Go into info and see if it's an enabled feature. Mine was disabled until I tried to use it.

If you have 360deg camera and connected services you should be able to use it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #13
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for sharing the images, I don't have the Remote 3D View under enabled features. I noticed under disabled features I have; only stop ventilation. Not sure why it's disabled and I cannot enable it! Could the 3D View be a feature that was added to newer models of the 750? What year is your BMW?

Quote:

Go into info and see if it's an enabled feature. Mine was disabled until I tried to use it.

Last edited by Moopai; 01-20-2020 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the images, I don't have the Remote 3D View under enabled features. I noticed under disabled features I have; only stop ventilation. Not sure why it's disabled and I cannot enable it! Could the 3D View be a feature that was added to newer models of the 750? What year is your BMW?

Quote:

Do you have the 360 camera? I think it came under the Park Assist option.
      01-21-2020, 05:27 AM   #15
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Mine is a MY2018 G12

I have 360deg camera and I think this and connected services allows you remote view.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #16
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
360 view came later than '16; was not on my '17 (9/16 production). It isn't just a matter of the Connected app; the car needs certain firmware and hardware to do 360.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #17
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

I do have a 360 view but as AlteBMW says, BMW probably introduces other hardware in later models to allow the 3D View. Thanks
Appreciate 0