BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

07-26-2023, 06:22 PM   #1
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
College Football killed by "name, image and likeness (NIL) deal."

Penn State Football: Beau Pribula Lands BMW Through NIL Deal

Penn State quarterback Beau Pribula will be driving around State College in style, thanks to a name, image and likeness (NIL) deal.

Through his NIL deal with Regents’ Glen Country Club in York, the Nittany Lions’ presumed backup QB is the new owner of a 2023 BMW X7 M60i provided by Budget Car Rental of York. The MSRP for that car is just over $103,000.

“I really want to thank Regents’ Glen and Budget for providing me with this BMW,” Pribula said. “It really doesn’t get much better than this; it’s a beautiful car.”

https://www.statecollege.com/article...ough-nil-deal/
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 07:41 AM   #2
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The whole NIL thing to me is crazy... now the divide between regular students and college athletes is EVEN greater.

First, it wasn't even about any focus on education in College... now as expected, it's not even about the focus of Sports but rather strictly commercialization and how to get rich. These athletes have like one good year or finish 2 years in College then live of these endorsements - and as long as they can strike that, everything else becomes irrelevant... talk about priorities in this country being reversed.
      07-27-2023, 07:53 AM   #3
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
IMO, name, image and likeness (NIL) and the transfer portal combined with wealthy Alumni will be the ruination of college football.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 08:03 AM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
IMO, name, image and likeness (NIL) and the transfer portal combined with wealthy Alumni will be the ruination of college football.
It's not even about football... its about the whole concept of a College athlete... Olivia Dunne doesn't even go to class lmao... how then is she a "college" athlete?
GERMAN M34181.00
      07-27-2023, 09:22 AM   #5
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

At the end of the day a person should be able to financially benefit from their talents. Prior to the NIL, NCAA athletes weren't allowed too (and they were getting suspended if caught) which didn't seem fair. But now with NIL being a thing it's fair for the high profile athletes in big sports at prominent schools. But for the athletes at smaller schools in the non football sports....good luck.

The big powerhouse colleges will now have more influence with recruits as these colleges will continue to show a clear path to the pros and now also getting paid now. I assume someone going to Alabama to play football is more likely to get paid a bigger NIL deal than someone going to play for a non-powerhouse sports school.
      07-27-2023, 09:23 AM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
It's not even about football... its about the whole concept of a College athlete... Olivia Dunne doesn't even go to class lmao... how then is she a "college" athlete?
You can thank all the guys that like looking at hot chics dancing around in not a lot of clothes for her being rich.
      07-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

College football has been dead for like 10 years. I still watch but it's boring as hell to know the same teams will be in the PO's every year.

As far as NIL, I agree they should be able to profit from their name but it's led to even more centralization of talent which is your point. Now with the impending super conferences, I will have even less interest
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2065.00
      07-27-2023, 09:31 AM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
At the end of the day a person should be able to financially benefit from their talents. Prior to the NIL, NCAA athletes weren't allowed too (and they were getting suspended if caught) which didn't seem fair. But now with NIL being a thing it's fair for the high profile athletes in big sports at prominent schools. But for the athletes at smaller schools in the non football sports....good luck.

The big powerhouse colleges will now have more influence with recruits as these colleges will continue to show a clear path to the pros and now also getting paid now. I assume someone going to Alabama to play football is more likely to get paid a bigger NIL deal than someone going to play for a non-powerhouse sports school.
Do you think that is reasonable when you are attending College for "free" on a scholarship and getting an education (which is supposedly the first priority when going to college in the first place) on other student's money as well as state sponsored funding thru tax dollars? Oh, and by the way, you don't have to attend class... sorry, that's not school, that's a grift to everyone else. If that's NOT ridiculous... I don't know what is... your payment is a free education...but again, that flew out the window many years ago.... if we are really going down this route... fine separate schools from athletic programs entirely... it'll then be athletic academies etc vs learning institutions.
F32Fleet3571.50
      07-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #9
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you think that is reasonable when you are attending College for "free" on a scholarship and getting an education (which is supposedly the first priority when going to college in the first place) on other student's money as well as state sponsored funding thru tax dollars? Oh, and by the way, you don't have to attend class... sorry, that's not school, that's a grift to everyone else. If that's NOT ridiculous... I don't know what is... your payment is a free education...but again, that flew out the window many years ago.... if we are really going down this route... fine separate schools from athletic programs entirely... it'll then be athletic academies etc vs learning institutions.
It would not be reasonable if the student is not attending classes. I feel like they are required to attend and maintain a minimum GPA level in order to be eligible as an athlete?

I think this is all annoying as I do agree that going to college should be primarily to get educated, but I do understand the desire to make money. And if I was a young idiot again I would want to get paid if I had a talent or whatever means to get paid.

If you were that age and someone wanted to pay you a bunch of money or gift you a car or something, all of it being legal, what would you do?
      07-27-2023, 11:09 AM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
College football has been dead for like 10 years. I still watch but it's boring as hell to know the same teams will be in the PO's every year.

As far as NIL, I agree they should be able to profit from their name but it's led to even more centralization of talent which is your point. Now with the impending super conferences, I will have even less interest
The college football TV watching experience is completely stupid too. 4 hours to see 60 minutes of football.
      07-27-2023, 11:25 AM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It would not be reasonable if the student is not attending classes. I feel like they are required to attend and maintain a minimum GPA level in order to be eligible as an athlete?

I think this is all annoying as I do agree that going to college should be primarily to get educated, but I do understand the desire to make money. And if I was a young idiot again I would want to get paid if I had a talent or whatever means to get paid.

If you were that age and someone wanted to pay you a bunch of money or gift you a car or something, all of it being legal, what would you do?
Supposedly yes... except it is physically impossible given the side show of time that athletics and all the marketing takes... they basically get a free pass and everyone knows it. They don't attend class MOST of the time.

2nd bolded part - yes, absolutely... as long as I wasn't at an education institution getting a free scholarship for others money.
      07-27-2023, 12:48 PM   #12
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
The college football TV watching experience is completely stupid too. 4 hours to see 60 minutes of football.
Yeah - that's another issue. They need to eliminate the stoppage for every first down. Halftime is also like 40 minutes which is ridiculous.

I used to prefer NCAAF over NFL 20 years ago...but now it's NFL >>>>>> NCAAF and it's really not even close for me.

If I couldn't gamble on NCAAF I would probably only watch Arizona football
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 01:19 PM   #13
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
They need to eliminate the stoppage for every first down. Halftime is also like 40 minutes which is ridiculous.
How will they sell enough commercials to pay for their bloated programs?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #14
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
U.S. Senators Tommy Tuberville, Joe Manchin Introduce New Bipartisan Bill To Regulate Name, Image And Likeness In College Sports
"I think it was a big mistake by the NCAA not to do a framework around NIL when they had the opportunity to. And I think there were too many people in college sports who thought no rules would work really well for them. And what everybody’s discovered is no rules, no transparency, no accountability, no framework, doesn’t work well for anybody."
— NCAA President Charlie Baker

"My legislation with Senator Manchin will set basic rules nationwide, protect our student-athletes, and keep NIL activities from ending college sports as we know it."
— Senator Tommy Tuberville

The “common-sense guidelines” include:
NO PAY FOR PLAY:
HEALTH & SAFETY:
PROTECTING STUDENT-ATHLETES OFF THE FIELD:
OVERSIGHT & TRANSPARENCY:
CLARIFYING NIL ACTIVITY:
TRANSFERS:

https://www.outkick.com/tommy-tuberv...aning-process/

Smart money says there is some major lobbying going on around this bill and it will never see the light of day in it's current form.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 02:45 PM   #15
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Should the schools (both public and private) get all the endorsements?

Any new legal requirements should include both minimum class units AND GPA requirements to be eligible. Not getting a 2.2? Give BMW the keys back.

the student-athletes should be learning outside the classroom, skills like negotiation for payments, contract enforcement, and most importantly NOT EVERYONE GETS A TROPHY!
      07-27-2023, 03:29 PM   #16
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Wonder if the "name, image and likeness (NIL)" income potential will entice some of the dullards who by pass college the go straight to the NFL from High School?

UncleWede: I like your thoughts but a GPA of 2.2 might make half the team ineligible?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 12:40 AM   #17
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bijan Robinson was driving around an Aventador all last year at Texas, acquired through NIL deal with Lamborghini Austin.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 07:39 AM   #18
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Bijan Robinson was driving around an Aventador all last year at Texas, acquired through NIL deal with Lamborghini Austin.
Sounds like Beau Pribula needs to renegotiate, $103,000.00 BMW vs $557,000.00 Lamborghini Aventador. This is going to get much worse.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 08:53 AM   #19
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like Beau Pribula needs to renegotiate, $103,000.00 BMW vs $557,000.00 Lamborghini Aventador. This is going to get much worse.
Actually this seems about right. The kid with the BMW is going to be a backup QB at Penn State, and last year Bijan was about to be a top 10 pick in the 1st round of the NFL draft. However, I've driven an Aventador and they aren't that cool. Bijan could have done better
      07-29-2023, 06:39 PM   #20
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Hmmmm... This is going to get interesting.

Maryland QB Taulia Tagovailoa says he was offered $1.5 million if he transferred to unnamed SEC school

The implementation of the transfer portal combined with name, image and likeness (NIL) has been a potent combination, and more players than ever are putting their names in the portal.

First-year UAB head coach Trent Dilfer passionately spoke about transfer portal tampering at American Football media days Tuesday.

"It’s cheating. To coerce a player off a roster, whether you do it through a third person, whether you do it through an agent, a collective – no matter how you do it — it’s cheating. It’s against the rules," Dilfer told reporters Tuesday. "So, let’s go attack that."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/maryl...-school-report
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 08:58 AM   #21
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
The problem with this line of thinking is, any regular student can be a youtube or tiktok star and monetize their channel. However, before NIL, if you were an athlete and did that, you would be deemed ineligible. Makes no sense to punish an athlete just because they are an athlete.

NIL hasnt ruined college football, the transfer portal has. Used to be you had to sit out a year if you transferred unless you got a waiver for special circumstances. Now these guys can hop from one school to the next with no penalty.

Now, does NIL need to be regulated more? yes. But its not a bad idea for athletes.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 2
Clark_Kent2227.50
Accentu8703.50
      08-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #22
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Wonder if the "name, image and likeness (NIL)" income potential will entice some of the dullards who by pass college the go straight to the NFL from High School?

UncleWede: I like your thoughts but a GPA of 2.2 might make half the team ineligible?
absolutely no one goes right from high school to the NFL. you have to be out of highschool for 3 years before you can enter the NFL.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
Clark_Kent2227.50