BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-30-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is Coupe

PCD Delivery Drive: Nashville to Seattle - Opinions

I am taking delivery of a new Z4 M40i in early April at the PCD center. I live in Seattle, so it will be a fun drive back home. I am doing this for the experience as I love driving. With that being said, I was thinking of going through the Badlands in South Dakota and seeing Mount Rushmore. After doing more research, I understand the weather could be very iffy in April, and I have heard of hailstorms which I would be horrified to be caught in with my new car.

So, I have two options. I can delay the PCD to May to hopefully give enough time for the weather to warm or I can go home through Denver -> Salt Lake City -> Boise -> Seattle.

I was wondering what the opinions are of whether it is worth it to wait until May to take delivery in hopes that the weather is drivable? Also, do you think the Denver and Salt Lake City area is a better drive (more scenic, more exciting, etc.) than the I90 to Mount Rushmore -> Billings -> Seattle route?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #2
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekpro007 View Post
I am taking delivery of a new Z4 M40i in early April at the PCD center. I live in Seattle, so it will be a fun drive back home. I am doing this for the experience as I love driving. With that being said, I was thinking of going through the Badlands in South Dakota and seeing Mount Rushmore. After doing more research, I understand the weather could be very iffy in April, and I have heard of hailstorms which I would be horrified to be caught in with my new car.

So, I have two options. I can delay the PCD to May to hopefully give enough time for the weather to warm or I can go home through Denver -> Salt Lake City -> Boise -> Seattle.

I was wondering what the opinions are of whether it is worth it to wait until May to take delivery in hopes that the weather is drivable? Also, do you think the Denver and Salt Lake City area is a better drive (more scenic, more exciting, etc.) than the I90 to Mount Rushmore -> Billings -> Seattle route?
I'll chime in some knowledge of the area in question. Been through all these areas several times. Only recently started to "document them." First, this is a trip I hope to do when we replace my wife's X3. Might be another X3 or possibly an X5. Either way, 3000 miles back to Portland will be a grand adventure.

I have 3 trip threads here that may offer insight (lots of photos and maps) on which route you might like.

From 2021 Rocky Mountains (Covers a lot of the northern route you seek: Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer Battlefield, Montana)
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865068

From 2022 Colorado (Covers a ton of scenic roads thru Colorado plus Arches and Dead Horse in Utah)
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1966646

From 2019 Utah (Utah National Parks Loop)
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784425

Weather could be a factor in early April. The northern route would be, well, more northern, but the Colorado route would take you over 11,000 foot passes. I tried to leave for Death Valley last year on April 20th and I needed snow tires to get out of the state because of a freak April snowstorm. I would vote for a delay to May to be sure.

What do you want to see? Things or grand vistas? The Badlands are great, Mt Rushmore awe inspiring, Custer humbling, Devils Tower cool, Montana grand. You'd probably be on a lot of freeways. Don't forget Deadwood, Bozeman, Butte and Coeur d'Alene.

The Colorado route is spectacular. Skip Denver and I-70. I would get myself to Colorado Springs, then over to Durango. Hwy 550 north through the Million Dollar Road. Black Canyon of the Gunnison, loop through Grand Mesa, drive through Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction. Hop on I-70 but drop down to Moab and pick off Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park if you haven't seen them. You'd be so close. Make your way to Park City, Boise and then home. Lots of 2 lane roads on this route. This would be my choice.

It would also depend on how much time you want to spend. We found 300 miles/day to be a limiting factor with all the sightseeing. 450 miles of freeway driving can work at 80 mph and the sightseeing is limited to mainly looking out the window.

We were also in a couple M5s and an M850. So, much roomier and a tad more luggage space.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by snowbimmer; 02-04-2023 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 02:07 PM   #3
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

You plan on stopping anywhere in Nashville or just skirting around it to be on your way to other places? Because I live here, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit unless you just reaaaalllly love country music... I guess. Oh, and we have a Sonic Automotive dealership as the local BMW dealer... fantastic auto group...
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5001.00
      02-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post
I'll chime in some knowledge of the area in question. Been through all these areas several times. Only recently started to "document them." First, this is a trip I hope to do when we replace my wife's X3. Might be another X3 or possibly an X5. Either way, 3000 miles back to Portland will be a grand adventure.

I have 3 trip threads here that may offer insight (lots of photos and maps) on which route you might like.

From 2021 Rocky Mountains (Covers a lot of the northern route you seek: Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Custer Battlefield, Montana)
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1865068

From 2022 Colorado (Covers a ton of scenic roads thru Colorado plus Arches and Dead Horse in Utah)
https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1966646

From 2019 Utah (Utah National Parks Loop)
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1784425

Weather could be a factor in early April. The northern route would be, well, more northern, but the Colorado route would take you over 11,000 foot passes. I tried to leave for Death Valley last year on April 20th and I needed snow tires to get out of the state because of a freak April snowstorm. I would vote for a delay to May to be sure.

What do you want to see? Things or grand vistas? The Badlands are great, Mt Rushmore awe inspiring, Custer humbling, Devils Tower cool, Montana grand. You'd probably be on a lot of freeways. Don't forget Deadwood, Bozeman, Butte and Coeur d'Alene.

The Colorado route is spectacular. Skip Denver and I-70. I would get myself to Colorado Springs, then over to Durango. Hwy 550 north through the Million Dollar Road. Black Canyon of the Gunnison, loop through Grand Mesa, drive through Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction. Hop on I-70 but drop down to Moab and pick off Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park if you haven't seen them. You'd be so close. Make your way to Park City, Boise and then home. Lots of 2 lane roads on this route. This would be my choice.

It would also depend on how much time you want to spend. We found 300 miles/day to be a limiting factor with all the sightseeing. 450 miles of freeway driving can work at 80 mph and the sightseeing is limited to mainly looking out the window.

We were also in a couple M5s and an M850. So, much roomier and a tad more luggage space.

Hope this helps.
Wow very beautiful cars! I love the M850. Your Colorado trip looks amazing. Coming from Nashville, wouldn't it be better to go across Monarch Pass and skip Durango?

I was thinking going from Colorado Springs ->HWY 24 -> Buena Vista -> Monarch Pass -> Back Canyon Nation Park -> Grand Mesa -> Salt Lake City -> Boise -> Seattle. I have been to Moab multiple times and seen arches, so I think I might skip that. I haven't been further east of Moab though.

I would be going in the first week of April. I don't mind cold, but I was hoping it would be sunny at least. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow very beautiful cars! I love the M850. Your Colorado trip looks amazing. Coming from Nashville, wouldn't it be better to go across Monarch Pass and skip Durango?

I was thinking going from Colorado Springs ->HWY 24 -> Buena Vista -> Monarch Pass -> Back Canyon Nation Park -> Grand Mesa -> Salt Lake City -> Boise -> Seattle. I have been to Moab multiple times and seen arches, so I think I might skip that. I haven't been further east of Moab though.
I would be going in the first week of April. I don't mind cold, but I was hoping it would be sunny at least. What do you think?

I took Hwy 50 to Montrose (we skipped Buena Vista and went down to Royal Gorge from CO Springs. A 30 mile side trip up to Crested Butte out of Gunnison on Hwy 50 wouldn't kill anyone either ). I said Durango because you really shouldn't miss Hwy 550 north, back to Montrose. The map below is the San Juan Skyway. It would take an extra day, but if you went counter clockwise you could see Telluride, Mesa Verde and then north up 550 back to Montrose. Really something. Gotta be one of the most scenic stretches of road in the country.
Name:  San Juan Skyway.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  326.9 KB

At the very least, run down to Telluride then back to Ourey and go down 550 as far as Silverton before turning back. You won't be disappointed. But, mid-April may just be a little early for the passes.

If you are firm on the dates, Badlands and Mt Rushmore might be your best option.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 06:04 PM   #6
tekpro007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbimmer View Post

I took Hwy 50 to Montrose (we skipped Buena Vista and went down to Royal Gorge from CO Springs. A 30 mile side trip up to Crested Butte out of Gunnison on Hwy 50 wouldn't kill anyone either ). I said Durango because you really shouldn't miss Hwy 550 north, back to Montrose. The map below is the San Juan Skyway. It would take an extra day, but if you went counter clockwise you could see Telluride, Mesa Verde and then north up 550 back to Montrose. Really something. Gotta be one of the most scenic stretches of road in the country.
Attachment 3096861

At the very least, run down to Telluride then back to Ourey and go down 550 as far as Silverton before turning back. You won't be disappointed. But, mid-April may just be a little early for the passes.

If you are firm on the dates, Badlands and Mt Rushmore might be your best option.
I am not sure on the dates yet. I might be locked to April 5th. I could probably push this to May 15th too. I really hate waiting the extra month if it isn't going to affect the weather much. Do you think the weather would be that much different? Also, I figured that Mount Rushmore in April wouldn't be very drivable in a convertible with summer tires.

Do you think doing the loop in Telluride is very important vs just going south from Montrose to Durango and then to Moab and back home?

Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 3.59.49 PM.png
Views: 334
Size:  939.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 08:06 PM   #7
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
You plan on stopping anywhere in Nashville or just skirting around it to be on your way to other places? Because I live here, and I can't imagine why anyone would want to visit unless you just reaaaalllly love country music... I guess. Oh, and we have a Sonic Automotive dealership as the local BMW dealer... fantastic auto group...
Grats on the new ride OP!

I’m in Nashville as well. I kinda agree with the above sentiment…the country thang is a little over-baked here. You ain’t gonna find any locals downtown on broadway (less a Preds game)…which are awesome btw. That said some very nice restaurants to enjoy. East Nashville and 12th south have a cool vibe- less touristy…

Also some really great (session musicians) jam/shows not country in and around town. And if you can catch one your fav band or acts at the Ryman…that would be epic af.

just gotta poke around…
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1274.00
      02-04-2023, 08:12 PM   #8
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Yea, I admit, there really are some exceptional venues downtown and East Nashville, and I *never* go to Broadway. I rented a house across the street from Butchertown Hall, and that was a pretty good time that year in spite of the tornado and pandemic. In fact, the second weekend I was there, the tornado tore through just two blocks south. I love rooftop bars, and more just keep opening (gotta say Rare Bird is my favorite... maybe more for the sake of nostalgia, though). It was a lot more fun when I was dating because then I was motivated to actually seek these places out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 09:28 PM   #9
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
I am not sure on the dates yet. I might be locked to April 5th. I could probably push this to May 15th too. I really hate waiting the extra month if it isn't going to affect the weather much. Do you think the weather would be that much different? Also, I figured that Mount Rushmore in April wouldn't be very drivable in a convertible with summer tires.

Do you think doing the loop in Telluride is very important vs just going south from Montrose to Durango and then to Moab and back home?
Weather is weather. But early spring in Colorado can throw anything at you.

Telluride is amazing.
Name:  185-20220929_162452.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  410.8 KB

Name:  Grand Mesa.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  144.4 KB

Since you've seen Arches, I'd be inclined to run down to Silverton, back track up through Grand Mesa and then hit Colorado National Monument.
Name:  330-20221002_153735.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  412.5 KB

Although Dead Horse Point State Park (across from Arches) is well worth the time if you haven't been there. Only one super viewpoint and some nice views back around the visitor center. You can do the whole thing in an hour and a half. And, you could still come south from I-70
Name:  351-20221003_095532.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  417.0 KB

You can't really go wrong. If you have to miss something to see something else, just come back and see the other stuff later.
Appreciate 0