BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

02-13-2024, 12:55 PM   #1
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

what could have caused this 2-month-old BMW i7 to catch fire? Is it the battery?

what could have caused this 2-month-old BMW i7 to catch fire? Is it the battery?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NdsYoZjHNRM

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:00 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
More than likely
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-13-2024, 01:42 PM   #3
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Terrible!! Why would anyone want an i EV or any other EV after seeing this? EV’s are in their infancy, I would prefer not to be a guinea pig for them.
Appreciate 4
      02-13-2024, 02:29 PM   #4
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Terrible!! Why would anyone want an i EV or any other EV after seeing this? EV’s are in their infancy, I would prefer not to be a guinea pig for them.

ICE cars never catch on fire.
Appreciate 3
co_440i105.50
philth188.00
      02-13-2024, 02:39 PM   #5
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
They are meant to destroy private vehicle ownership altogether. A bridge to the WEF Great Reset.

Luckily, the battery tech is so unstable and so incapable of functioning in the manner everyone requires (aside from those living in 15-minute city coompods), that EVs have already failed as even the dimmest among us are beginning to realize what a farce it all is.

We have neighbors who laid out over 100k on a Tesla and photovoltaic charging system, and no longer even drive due to charging anxiety and the inconvenience of it all.

Still waiting for the thing to go up in flames.

Appreciate 4
      02-13-2024, 02:44 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Terrible!! Why would anyone want an i EV or any other EV after seeing this?
Well, perhaps gas cars actually catch fire more often, and so if that's your metric, you ought to get an EV.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...bout-ev-fires/

Sigh, welcome to the weekly anti EV thread. Let's beat this horse some more.

(And to stave off the accusations I love EV's, I don't, I don't own one and my next purchase coming up won't be one either. I just get annoyed by misinformation is all.)
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 02:53 PM   #7
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Well, perhaps gas cars actually catch fire more often, and so if that's your metric, you ought to get an EV.

(And to stave off the accusations I love EV's, I don't, I don't own one and my next purchase coming up won't be one either. I just get annoyed by misinformation is all.)

I had a Mercedes ICE sedan that burst into flames in the driveway in the middle of the night. Any car that has an energy source(gas or electricity) can and does catch fire, unfortunately.
Appreciate 2
co_440i105.50
      02-13-2024, 02:58 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilver.X1 View Post
I had a Mercedes ICE sedan that burst into flames in the driveway in the middle of the night. Any car that has an energy source(gas or electricity) can and does catch fire, unfortunately.
That’s true. One significant difference. A few hundred gallons of water and your gas powered car fire is completely extinguished. 40,000+ gallons of water later and the EV car fire might be fully extinguished…or it might not be.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

02-13-2024, 02:59 PM   #9
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post

Well said... A gasoline car enthusiast website isn't going to have many singing the praises of the future of automotive vehicles.

I can just imagine the only two threads on an EV board... is it the battery..?? Is it the Motor..??

The simple fact is there is so much money being put into the EV industry. It still has a lot of room to grow and develop. Hard to compare mature ICE business to an immature EV.

In the long run EV's maintenance is going to win once range anxiety gets solved.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 03:00 PM   #10
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
I haven't seen any one claim that EV catch fire more often than ICE cars but when they do it's generally not a small localized fire. EV's tend to burn to the ground and are generally hard to extinguish. Maybe if the powers that be were not forcing this technology on us we might not be using EV short comings to point out the folly of the mandates?

By the way do you think the EV fire issue will get worse or better when there are more EV's on the road and the average age of the EV's is older and closer to the expensive battery replacement? Or when the market is filled with cheap Chinese EV's?
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2024, 03:10 PM   #11
co_440i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I haven't seen any one claim that EV catch fire more often than ICE cars but when they do it's generally not a small localized fire. EV's tend to burn to the ground and are generally hard to extinguish. Maybe if the powers that be were not forcing this technology on us we might not be using EV short comings to point out the folly of the mandates?

By the way do you think the EV fire issue will get worse or better when there are more EV's on the road and the average age of the EV's is older and closer to the expensive battery replacement? Or when the market is filled with cheap Chinese EV's?

The US market will never be "filled with cheap Chinese EVs." We don't even permit the import of Chinese cell phones, we're never going to let mobile PLA SIGINT platforms drive around American streets.

As to your other question, plenty of EVs have been on the road for a decade+ at this point, and if the rate of these fires is higher, it's not significantly so, and it's still way lower than ICE.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:25 PM   #12
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That’s true. One significant difference. A few hundred gallons of water and your gas powered car fire is completely extinguished. 40,000+ gallons of water later and the EV car fire might be fully extinguished…or it might not be.
actually... zero gallon of water was needed to put out that fire. The fire started with the electronics inside the rear trunk. It basically destroyed the entire trunk and part of the rear seat. However, the fire stopped when all the oxygen inside was consumed. By the time the fire trucks rolled up to my house, there was nothing to put out. The fire marshal took pics and provided me with a report for the insurance company. The actual repair took over 2 months. It was way before the pandemic, so the amount of time was not due to parts shortage, but all the stuff they had to do to restore it. My bill was $1000 for the deductible... GEICO paid close to $10,000 for the rest.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 03:26 PM   #13
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_440i View Post
The US market will never be "filled with cheap Chinese EVs."
Hmmm Never say Never
Chinese Automakers Are Knocking on America's Door
Dec 14, 2023
The Geely-owned Polestar, Volvo and Lotus are not only sold here, the brands are also investing heavily in U.S. manufacturing. Earlier this year, Polestar said it would move production of its 2 sedan to South Carolina, joining the 3 SUV and Volvo EX90 SUV starting in 2024.

"Localized production is more critical than ever, particularly in the growing electric vehicle sector. Geely was an early Chinese auto giant to produce vehicles in the U.S., and it is taking a tactical approach to increasing U.S. production beyond a single car — Volvo's S60 sedan," Paul Waatti, manager of industry analysis at AutoPacific told Newsweek.
https://www.newsweek.com/chinese-aut...s-door-1849689
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2024, 04:32 PM   #14
Savoy2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC, 19 330I, 19 z06 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
They are meant to destroy private vehicle ownership altogether. A bridge to the WEF Great Reset.

Luckily, the battery tech is so unstable and so incapable of functioning in the manner everyone requires (aside from those living in 15-minute city coompods), that EVs have already failed as even the dimmest among us are beginning to realize what a farce it all is.

We have neighbors who laid out over 100k on a Tesla and photovoltaic charging system, and no longer even drive due to charging anxiety and the inconvenience of it all.

Still waiting for the thing to go up in flames.

This and I completely agree. The whole thing is a joke and I have been saying that since all this bs started. When the government started ramming this garbage down our throats I knew then and there it was junk. Nothing that’s good or worth its salt needs government intervention or tax breaks/incentives is any other help if it’s a truly good product. Same with solar panels. Point is if something it’s good enough it will stand on its own two feet without help from Uncle Sam. The tech is honestly terrible at this point and other than a hybrid like the new M5i never zero interest is a full blown ev and don’t see that changing anytime soon. Until and if it can do 500-600 miles on a charge f add the charge for 80% battery it’s like 5-10 minutes I’m not interested. Period.
Appreciate 4
Neusser441.00
SteVTEC157.00
      02-13-2024, 04:45 PM   #15
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
This guinea pig is very very expensive
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 05:08 PM   #16
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_440i View Post
The US market will never be "filled with cheap Chinese EVs." We don't even permit the import of Chinese cell phones, we're never going to let mobile PLA SIGINT platforms drive around American streets.

As to your other question, plenty of EVs have been on the road for a decade+ at this point, and if the rate of these fires is higher, it's not significantly so, and it's still way lower than ICE.

You heard it here first, folks.

I left the US over 15 years ago, and had a hard time not purchasing cheap, made-in-China shit--and I was actually trying not to!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2024, 05:15 PM   #17
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NdsYoZjHNRM

Now, to address the real question....

That fire is not in the battery compartment. That fire is from material ON the left front wheel. Could be anything. Including sabotage. The Anti-EV heads are so rabid as they do attack EV's here, there, and everywhere.

I can't imagine the level of dysfunction that is required for that.....

Shawn
Appreciate 1
Gautam600.00
      02-13-2024, 05:17 PM   #18
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post

That fire is not in the battery compartment. That fire is from material ON the left front wheel. Could be anything. Including sabotage. The Anti-EV heads are so rabid as they do attack EV's here, there, and everywhere.

Shawn
"Including sabotage."

Beyond hilarious.
Appreciate 3
      02-13-2024, 07:32 PM   #19
SpaceSilver.X1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post

Shawn
most anti-EV people resort to rolling coal... at least that's what I've seen in person numerous times. or they also deliberately park in spots reserved for Tesla Superchargers at my local gas station. It got so bad that they put chains with padlocks in those spots. Tesla drivers have to go inside the convenience store and ask the employee to comes out to unlock it.

Last edited by SpaceSilver.X1; 02-13-2024 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 08:20 PM   #20
Weather Man
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
most anti-EV people resort to rolling coat... at least that's what I've seen in person numerous times. or they also deliberately park in spots reserved for Tesla Superchargers at my local gas station. It got so bad that they put chains with padlocks in those spots. Tesla drivers have to go inside the convenience store and ask the employee to comes out to unlock it.
People wouldn't give 2 figs about EV's if they weren't being rammed down our throats with mandates. Anyone who has actually taken the time to do the math on what it would actually take to support the mandates just laughs.
Appreciate 2
SteVTEC157.00
      02-14-2024, 12:29 AM   #21
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Right EVs are so dangerous and catch fire so often this should be at this point illegal to spread its pure miss information, its been stated over and over and thousand times over again EVs do not catch fire more often then ICE cars the Swedish MSB has shown that on 100 000 vehicles 4 EVs burn on the ICE side it is 36 per 100 000 vehicles. If anything ICE should be definitely banned from being parked in closed areas or being transported on boats.

Claiming EVs are subsided because they aint good while Oil has been subsided sense the 1830s and they still haven't managed to make them more then 25-30% effective that if anything is a sham. How them oils wells doing for ya in the US? Still leaking enormous amount of methane, benzine and other dangerous chemicals out in the environment because guess what oil companies couldn't care less about plugging those damn things properly. Or remember that single gallon of oil can contaminate as much one million gallons of water, hows the BP oil spill going over there? But thats alright to do just so you can fuel up your car in less then one minute at the gas station.

You are claiming EVs are in their infancy damn straight they are and yet they are beating ICE vehicles on a daily basis in many areas imagine if EVs had investing in them as much as ice when they first back in the in 1800s imagine where we would be then. But no we chose the oil way unfortunate.

And get this firemen have been putting our fires on ICEs sense they came thats about about 200 years of fire fighting ICE fires, i am sure our fire departments will figure out a faster way to put out battery fires in the very near future if they haven't already.

Anyone with a decent brain in their head understands this. You are comparing a product thats been around sense our industrial revolution basicly to something that what Tesla in 2008 with their roadster started putting out and now what only 15e years later we are here imagine if all the other automotive companies would have taken EVs seriously 2008 where we would be in comparison to today.

So stop the blatant bashing on EVs its getting tiresome.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)

Last edited by Nahlem; 02-14-2024 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 04:57 AM   #22
Ugly Kar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
Right EVs are so dangerous and catch fire so often this should be at this point illegal to spread its pure miss information, its been stated over and over and thousand times over again EVs do not catch fire more often then ICE cars the Swedish MSB has shown that on 100 000 vehicles 4 EVs burn on the ICE side it is 36 per 100 000 vehicles. If anything ICE should be definitely banned from being parked in closed areas or being transported on boats.

Claiming EVs are subsided because they aint good while Oil has been subsided sense the 1830s and they still haven't managed to make them more then 25-30% effective that if anything is a sham. How them oils wells doing for ya in the US? Still leaking enormous amount of methane, benzine and other dangerous chemicals out in the environment because guess what oil companies couldn't care less about plugging those damn things properly. Or remember that single gallon of oil can contaminate as much one million gallons of water, hows the BP oil spill going over there? But thats alright to do just so you can fuel up your car in less then one minute at the gas station.

You are claiming EVs are in their infancy damn straight they are and yet they are beating ICE vehicles on a daily basis in many areas imagine if EVs had investing in them as much as ice when they first back in the in 1800s imagine where we would be then. But no we chose the oil way unfortunate.

And get this firemen have been putting our fires on ICEs sense they came thats about about 200 years of fire fighting ICE fires, i am sure our fire departments will figure out a faster way to put out battery fires in the very near future if they haven't already.

Anyone with a decent brain in their head understands this. You are comparing a product thats been around sense our industrial revolution basicly to something that what Tesla in 2008 with their roadster started putting out and now what only 15e years later we are here imagine if all the other automotive companies would have taken EVs seriously 2008 where we would be in comparison to today.

So stop the blatant bashing on EVs its getting tiresome.
Perhaps it would behoove you to know the EV's existed before the ICE. Perhaps you should also do some research on the destruction to the environment done by building EV's including destroying the land of some of the poorest countries in the world.
Appreciate 2
Neusser441.00