BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-23-2024, 01:55 AM   #1
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 745e G11, 118i F20

Drivers door soft close?

I just purchased a used UK spec 745e, which comes with soft close doors as standard.
However, the drivers door doesn't appear to have soft close, where as the other 3 doors do.
Is this expected, or does it indicate that the soft close door mechanism is broken?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 02:24 AM   #2
ggonxhi
Private
Rep
Drives: ggonxhi

Does it make any weird sound?
Open the door trim and check if the connector got lose somehow.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 02:36 AM   #3
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggonxhi View Post
Does it make any weird sound?
No, no sound at all.
Quote:
Open the door trim and check if the connector got lose somehow.
Thanks, I'll check.

You believe that all 4 doors, including the drivers door should have soft close?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 07:52 AM   #4
BManBimma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 740i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.s. View Post
No, no sound at all.

Thanks, I'll check.

You believe that all 4 doors, including the drivers door should have soft close?
All should have soft close
Appreciate 1
j.s.67.50
      05-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #5
Raimo5
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Unless someone removed the actuator then all doors have it as standard equipment.

Cable connectrors on these dont come undone. Just like other plug connectors in the vehicle, these have locking mechanisms. Also, removing the door panel alone yields no access to door latch or soft close actuator. You also have to release the door window from its brackets in order to remove lifter mechanism carrier. If you have gone that deep, then you might as well replace the actuator while you are there. If it makes no noises what so ever then it is most likeley defective. Or it could be a fuse or something. To get a better idea what you are working with, have BDC scanned for codes.
Appreciate 1
j.s.67.50
      05-23-2024, 08:52 PM   #6
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Unless someone removed the actuator then all doors have it as standard equipment.

Cable connectrors on these dont come undone. Just like other plug connectors in the vehicle, these have locking mechanisms. Also, removing the door panel alone yields no access to door latch or soft close actuator. You also have to release the door window from its brackets in order to remove lifter mechanism carrier. If you have gone that deep, then you might as well replace the actuator while you are there. If it makes no noises what so ever then it is most likeley defective. Or it could be a fuse or something. To get a better idea what you are working with, have BDC scanned for codes.
Thanks, it is a car I imported from the UK, and the company handling the import is also an authorised BMW service centre, I'll ask them to have a look at what is wrong. It is just out of warranty, so they might also get BMW to cover any repair as good will.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 11:29 PM   #7
ggonxhi
Private
Rep

Most likely the actuator went bad and they did not replace it just disconnect it so it does not make a sound.

This has happened to me as well. As the driver door is the first one to go bad since it’s used constantly. I actually took of the fuse just because I was getting annoyed by the noise.

Best bet is open the door trim and look in there. They are pretty easy to remove. Check online for a video.
Appreciate 1
j.s.67.50
      05-24-2024, 09:42 AM   #8
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Most likely the actuator went bad and they did not replace it just disconnect it so it does not make a sound.
Quite possibly, the BMW service guy here says that diagnostics says to check the wiring in the door, and if ok to replace the mechanism, so you and Raimo5 were spot on.
They didn't have time to disasembly the door today, so I'll get it booked in to check, most most probably it will need a new mechanism.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 1
Raimo5329.50
      05-25-2024, 05:26 PM   #9
ggonxhi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quite possibly, the BMW service guy here says that diagnostics says to check the wiring in the door, and if ok to replace the mechanism, so you and Raimo5 were spot on.
They didn't have time to disasembly the door today, so I'll get it booked in to check, most most probably it will need a new mechanism.

Thanks guys!
I personally would not do this through BMW, They charge like 750-800$ for the actuator, plus like an hr to install it. Even though it only takes 15 min if you know what you are doing. I would either do it myself or go to an indy.
But than again that is your choice.
Appreciate 1
j.s.67.50
      05-25-2024, 05:35 PM   #10
ggonxhi
Private
Rep

Quote:

If its a blown fuse that the passenger door would also not work.
They are in pairs front door one fuse and rear doors one fuse.

At least that is how they are for F10, I have not opened the G11/12 yet as mine are still working.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 12:05 AM   #11
gizmo32
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 audi s4

i also recently bought a 16 750i passenger side front foor functions ok but it keeps attempting to close after 2 mins annoying noises…dealer quoted $1750 for part 2 hours labour $2200 CAD the door acuator and something else…thank god i purchased extended warranty! same time turbo charger acuators went bad so $2750 CAD quoted for that (warranty came thru on that also)

just did all fluid changes and spark plugs at a indy, looked underneath found control arms and bushings thrust arms worn, took it back dealer week ago…extended warranty took longer for approval approved it all…was suppose to pickup today but dealer says alignment is out of spec having a hard time aligning it…so now they are quoting tire rods…you guessed they trying to get extended warranty approval!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2024, 03:43 AM   #12
Raimo5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If its a blown fuse that the passenger door would also not work.
They are in pairs front door one fuse and rear doors one fuse.

At least that is how they are for F10, I have not opened the G11/12 yet as mine are still working.
Wiring diagrams suggest separate 10 amp fuses for all doors from rear power distribution box. F251 feeds driver door. But if fuse is blown then there is issue with the component anyway.
Appreciate 2
j.s.67.50
      05-26-2024, 03:58 AM   #13
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I personally would not do this through BMW, They charge like 750-800$ for the actuator, plus like an hr to install it.
Thanks for the advice, the guy said he expects BMW AG will cover the part under good will, as it is just out of warranty. In which case I will only pay the labour cost. If the part won't be covered, I'll probably have a go myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 12:12 AM   #14
ggonxhi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Wiring diagrams suggest separate 10 amp fuses for all doors from rear power distribution box. F251 feeds driver door. But if fuse is blown then there is issue with the component anyway.
Having these cars out of warranty is a nightmare if you can’t work on the yourself. I removed they told me 750$ just for the actuator and labor. Not sure how much was the labor as I just gave them a call.

Bough a used oem on eBay for 53$ and it took me 15-20 min to replace it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 12:18 AM   #15
ggonxhi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, the guy said he expects BMW AG will cover the part under good will, as it is just out of warranty. In which case I will only pay the labour cost. If the part won't be covered, I'll probably have a go myself.
Call the part department and ask them how much is the part.
Looking at some photos on eBay for the actuator it does seem a little more complicated that the f10 that I have done.

These is also a video on YouTube how to do this. Search g12 actuator.

Check the fuse as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2024, 11:11 PM   #16
BManBimma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 740i

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, it is a car I imported from the UK, and the company handling the import is also an authorised BMW service centre, I'll ask them to have a look at what is wrong. It is just out of warranty, so they might also get BMW to cover any repair as good will.

Thanks!
Wait Wait hold up, you saying you in the US and have an RHD G12?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2024, 12:49 AM   #17
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BManBimma View Post
Wait Wait hold up, you saying you in the US and have an RHD G12?
No, I am not in the US. The only point it would make sense to drive a RHD car in a LHD country would be if you either moved temporarily or it was a classic car not otherwise available.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 06:17 AM   #18
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The guy said he expects BMW AG will cover the part under good will, as it is just out of warranty.
BMW AG agreed to cover 80% of the parts cost, part ordered and expected to arrive next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 01:07 PM   #19
Raimo5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
BMW AG agreed to cover 80% of the parts cost, part ordered and expected to arrive next week.

Thanks for updating us. Was it the soft close actuator that was deemed at fault?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2024, 11:40 PM   #20
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for updating us. Was it the soft close actuator that was deemed at fault?
It is the assumption, but it will be confirmed once they open up the door. They didn't want to do that without having the part available, to avoid two trips to the workshop and having to open the door twice.

I'll update here with the final resolution, probably sometime next week once the part is here.
Appreciate 1
Raimo5329.50
      06-14-2024, 06:26 AM   #21
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

I had G12 740Le and its driver door soft close went haywire when I was purchasing it. Had 92k km (57k miles) and one owner car. At the time car was 4 year old.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 03:48 AM   #22
j.s.
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It is the assumption, but it will be confirmed once they open up the door. They didn't want to do that without having the part available, to avoid two trips to the workshop and having to open the door twice.

I'll update here with the final resolution, probably sometime next week once the part is here.
Parts took a while to arrive, and then I wasn't available. In the end, the soft close mechanims was broken, and after it was replaced it works as expected. BMW picked up 80% of the part cost and some of the labour cost so in the end it cost me under 200 EUR to have it fixed.

Last edited by j.s.; 07-29-2024 at 04:17 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
Raimo5329.50