BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-18-2024, 06:42 PM   #1
dubxilla
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Awaiting delivery of a '19 Alpina B7, concerned about 21" wheel maintenance

Greetings, all!

I caught a great deal on a beautiful, well-optioned B7 in Nardo Grey and pulled the trigger with little to no hesitation. In my feverish anticipation of delivery, I began reading up on all available literature/forums and eventually stumbled across several instances of owners experiencing popped tires, bubbles, and wheel damage- specifically with the 21” wheel option.

Does anyone here have experience with this? Is there a tire option with a little more rubber to help reduce the likelihood of tire/rim failure? Any help is much appreciated and if the prognosis is grim, I’ll likely have a set of murdered-out 21” authentic Alpina wheels for sale or trade.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:43 AM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

1st. Welcome to the G12 forum. Great choice of vehicle

2nd. I'm 1st in line to buy your wheels if they go up for sale, contingent on their condition at time of Sell. Yes, 1 of mine is slightly bent, but wouldn't mind getting a Winter tire setup for my vehicle.

3rd. You can reduce your wheel damage if you religiously keep the tire pressure to spec (use the values in the Supplemental Alpina Owner's Guide), and keep up with the tire pressure as your seasonal temperatures change - this is sort of key. I can't say that I've driven every road in Texas, but of the roads I've driven, the B7's 21 wheel worry might be an over reaction, but nobody can promise you won't bend your rims, so I won't.

4th. If you want to be proactive, you can purchase 20" Alpina wheels for your G12 B7, which were offered from the factory on the G12 B7. Part Number for the front and rear found here. You can offset the cost of a set of 20" by selling your 21"s.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 04-28-2024 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2024, 01:08 PM   #3
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubxilla View Post
Greetings, all!

I caught a great deal on a beautiful, well-optioned B7 in Nardo Grey and pulled the trigger with little to no hesitation. In my feverish anticipation of delivery, I began reading up on all available literature/forums and eventually stumbled across several instances of owners experiencing popped tires, bubbles, and wheel damage- specifically with the 21” wheel option.

Does anyone here have experience with this? Is there a tire option with a little more rubber to help reduce the likelihood of tire/rim failure? Any help is much appreciated and if the prognosis is grim, I’ll likely have a set of murdered-out 21” authentic Alpina wheels for sale or trade.

Thanks in advance!
I have a G12 B7 with the 21" option. Unless you are in Cali, NY/NJ, or VA, you won't hit the potholes that will do that. I've lived in all those states and it really depends on your location and ability to miss holes when driving, it becomes an art after you have damages 4x of wheels in those areas. ha

I went with new tires, pilot sport 4S, but i also bought a spare front and rear Alpina wheel and new tires (6 total), mounted, solely because I know the game. I also got a 20% refund with Michellin BMWCCA discount (which is separate) and also a factory seasonal rebate, like 600+ refunded to me along with wholesale pricing, It's super rad hack that I figured out.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2024, 08:32 AM   #4
Tonyturnz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B7

Congrats on your new purchase. I just recently purchased an Alpina B7 also but mine came with 20's. Honestly I prefer the look of the 21s more. It suits the car better in my opinion.
Appreciate 0