BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-20-2023, 02:39 PM   #1
Zenel68
France
Rep
Drives: 2021 740Ld Tanzanit Blue

Power Steering wheel issue

Hey ! I have a bmw 2021 740ld. I have a strange noise in the steering wheel. I have Factory warranty, I went in my dealershop but they told me its normal. I had an 2018 G32 but never heard such of noise. Can anyone tell me if you have this strange noise too or is it a issue on mine. Thanks
https://youtube.com/shorts/sZAiqStDG...uZtKvRcDOHP0wh
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:37 PM   #2
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Definitely not normal. Your service advisor is trying to brush you off.

Is the sound only heard from passenger cabin, or is there some rubbing/grinding noise audible from outside as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:13 AM   #3
Zenel68
France
Rep

From outside, I don't hear anything anormal. The dealer told me in AutoHold, the brakes do this noise, I tried it, yes I hear a brake sound from outside with AutoHold, but I know from inside it don't has anything to do with brakes, even without AutoHold, the noise is still present. So I think, they just didn't hear it, or I don't know
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Auto Hold can indeed make noises if you turn the wheel when hold is applied. It's because when wheel are being turned, they rotate slightly and discs have to break free from pads in order to facilitate that turn. That sound is unmistakable and doesn't translate to steering shaft in that manner, especially on such shallow steering lock.

If dealer says it is normal, then I would ask them to sign a waiver with detailed description of that "operational characteristic". Should there be an issue with this system down the road, even out of warranty, this waiver will put liability on them.

Most likely outcome, if you ask them to do that, is that they will run this by their legal department and come back with an answer that we will look deeper and rectify the issue. They never want to sign a liability like that, but if it is operational characteristic, then they have no real grounds not to. Just squeeze them into the corner, while being respectful in doing that.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 01:55 PM   #5
Zenel68
France
Rep

Okey, thank you very much. I will ask the dealer and come back to you with news
Appreciate 0