BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-31-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
wscottdo
Rep
Drives: BMW 750I

Tall family in Iowa. X7 vs 750i

Hi,

I am about to buy my first BMW. Can’t decide.

We are a tall family of 4. I am 6’4” and son 6’3 at 14 years old needs to sit in back. Younger son will be there in 3 years. We live in Iowa. Cold snowy winters.

His knees hit the back of the front seat in X7 (captains seating). It’s ok for shorter distances. Longer distances would be more tough. I love everything else about the X7 m 50i we are considering.

750i we have been looking at has plenty of room in the back, but not elevated SUV platform for snowy winters and better elevated visibility.

This is my conundrum. Can you please help sway me one way or the other? Can the 750i handle 6-8 inch snow drifts I sometimes encounter on my commute in rural Iowa country roads with snow tires?

We are looking at the 2020 model year. Budget less than 70k all-in with extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 04:43 PM   #2
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I’ve also got a tall family. So strange that the huge SUV trucks ironically have crap middle row legroom.

That said, I’ve discovered the Audi SQ8. Huge rear legroom and good rear headroom. Lookup the specs. I’m 6’4” and fit comfortably behind my front seating position. Defn good winter clearance.

I’m personally torn between an SQ8 and a B7.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 10:56 PM   #3
3fourall1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 740X

I feel you pain. I went from an X5 which I loved. Had it for 8 years while my boys attended high school and collage. So my wife and I decided as empty nesters we wanted something sporty. So we got a 540 xdrive. My guys are 6'2 and 6'1. First drive with the four of us in the car convinced us that bigger is better. Now have a new 740 xdrive. All the bells and whistles. Unbelievable how much room there is in that car. That's my advice. If the snow is a problem. Shovel a path to Florida. NO SNOW EVER.
Happy Holidays
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Since you're considering a used BMW...take a look at the 5GT and 6GT models. They weren't that popular due to their odd rear hatch...but they do have one great feature for a situation like yours.

The rear seat legroom is like the long wheel base 7 series...but the vehicle height is elevated higher than a normal sedan is more van or SUV/crossover height.

If you can get over the odd look from the C to D pillar...you may find the rear seat interior room you're looking for.

The G32 6GT continued after the last f06/f12/f13 models ended by the 2019 model year...and it replaced the F07 5GT.

Again, you may be pleasantly surprised by the interior of the F07 & G32 models.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0