BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-24-2023, 05:13 PM   #1
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i xDrive

when does the Panoramic Sky Lounge LED Roof turn on?

After some troubles with the ambient lighting that got resolved with a LIN bus readdressing procedure, I now noticed that if I open the front sunshade then the Sky Lounge LED does not turn on. It only turns on when I open the rear sunshade. Is that the intended behavior?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 05:39 PM   #2
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

What kind of readdressing, and what for? LIN bus auto addresses the led modules, but all modules must be present and available on the bus. If not, addressing and location assignment will be wrong.

And I dont think this is an intended behavior that you are noticing. Kind of makes sense to have it turned on if shade is opened.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep

car going to dealer on monday...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 07:00 AM   #4
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Let us know with the findings.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 01:27 PM   #5
paul.j.ghosh
Private First Class
Rep

After dealer could not fix after holding the car overnight and the fact that they did not understand why it was not working I had the following exchange over the two days:

dealer:

We first need to confirm with BMW if the sky lounge should work with the sunroof half way open? If it is a readdressing issue it takes about an hour. My tech is going to get with my foreman and see if he can get a confirmation from BMW.

... skipped some messages

me:

"We first need to confirm with BMW if the sky lounge should work with the sunroof half way open" - that is not the issue. the sky lounge does not turn on in front with sunshade open and sunroof closed. the spring loaded contacts in the body of the car do not make contact with the pads on the sunroof for the lighting if the sunroof is opened - no matter how much. it should work with the sunshade open and sunroof just tilted for venting or sunroof closed. when the tech readdressed the LIN bus with the sunshade AND sunroof open the lights were no longer connected to the bus thus they got left out.

fearing that the tech is ripping apart the car to troubleshoot as from the BMW app I could tell the sunroof was open I finally wrote to the advisor the next morning.

me:

Kindly tell the tech to readdress the LIN bus for ambient lighting with the sunroof closed. At this point the sunroof is open. Have him do the readdress prior to trying anything else. I am quite confident that will fix the issue and not take more troubleshooting time.

notified that car is ready to pick up and tech wrote the following which is actually opposite of what the behavior prior to fix was - front sunroof ambient lights came on when rear sunshade was opened as long as the sunroof was closed - tech was possibly trying AGAIN with the sunroof wide open.

CONFIRMED CUSTOMER CONCERN
INTERIOR FRONT SUNROOF AMBIENT LIGHTS ARE NOT FUNCTIONAL
WHILE REAR PANORAMIC ROOF IS OPEN CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGER
PERFORMED VEHICLE TEST CLOSED SUNROOF AND PANORAMIC ROOF AS
PER TEST PLAN INSTRUCTIONS PERFORMED INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHT
ADDRESSING TEST PLAN CONFIRMED FULL FUNCTIONALITY OF
INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTS NO CONCERNS PRESENT

all fixed now...
Appreciate 1
Raimo5183.00
      12-15-2023, 09:39 AM   #6
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.j.ghosh View Post
After dealer could not fix after holding the car overnight and the fact that they did not understand why it was not working I had the following exchange over the two days:

dealer:

We first need to confirm with BMW if the sky lounge should work with the sunroof half way open? If it is a readdressing issue it takes about an hour. My tech is going to get with my foreman and see if he can get a confirmation from BMW.

me:

"We first need to confirm with BMW if the sky lounge should work with the sunroof half way open" - that is not the issue. the sky lounge does not turn on in front with sunshade open and sunroof closed. the spring loaded contacts in the body of the car do not make contact with the pads on the sunroof for the lighting if the sunroof is opened - no matter how much. it should work with the sunshade open and sunroof just tilted for venting or sunroof closed. when the tech readdressed the LIN bus with the sunshade AND sunroof open the lights were no longer connected to the bus thus they got left out.

fearing that the tech is ripping apart the car to troubleshoot as from the BMW app I could tell the sunroof was open I finally wrote to the advisor the next morning.

me:

Kindly tell the tech to readdress the LIN bus for ambient lighting with the sunroof closed. At this point the sunroof is open. Have him do the readdress prior to trying anything else. I am quite confident that will fix the issue and not take more troubleshooting time.

notified that car is ready to pick up and tech wrote the following which is actually opposite of what the behavior prior to fix was - front sunroof ambient lights came on when rear sunshade was opened as long as the sunroof was closed - tech was possibly trying AGAIN with the sunroof wide open.

CONFIRMED CUSTOMER CONCERN
INTERIOR FRONT SUNROOF AMBIENT LIGHTS ARE NOT FUNCTIONAL
WHILE REAR PANORAMIC ROOF IS OPEN CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGER
PERFORMED VEHICLE TEST CLOSED SUNROOF AND PANORAMIC ROOF AS
PER TEST PLAN INSTRUCTIONS PERFORMED INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHT
ADDRESSING TEST PLAN CONFIRMED FULL FUNCTIONALITY OF
INTERIOR AMBIENT LIGHTS NO CONCERNS PRESENT

all fixed now...
can you post pics of what it looks like when its open? i am not sure if I have the same issue or what is supposed to light up or not
Appreciate 0