BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

View Poll Results: Would you buy a new car over the internet?
Yes 16 37.21%
No 21 48.84%
Undecided but interested in the concept. 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
sspade
Major General
sspade's Avatar
United_States
2450
Rep
5,437
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Stevenson, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [5.25]
The Poll: Would you buy a new car from Amazon?

Thought a poll would yield interesting results! To level the field: this is only for new vehicle purchases.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5149
Rep
1,901
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Well the poll says over the internet and the post says on Amazon... different questions. I HAVE bought cars overs the internet, both directly from the manufacturer (Tesla) and from out of state dealers where basically everything was done over the internet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 09:39 PM   #3
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
943
Rep
917
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I have purchased cars sight unseen from out of state so I guess yes? lol
__________________
2018 Charger Hellcat
2019 Miata 30th Anniversary
2021 CX-5
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2023, 04:25 AM   #4
a0krn
Enlisted Member
27
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

Any details about Amazon car returns? Is it still 30 days?
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1540.50
      11-26-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
9824
Rep
8,480
Posts

Drives: '23 X3 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I don't see any issue... hell, give me a flat fee w 2 day prime shipping and I am down.

People have no idea how something like this would up end the M3/M4 market... the price would baseline every dealer and every dealer would be screwed on markups.
__________________
2 x N54 -> 1 x N55 -> 1 x S55-> 1 x B58
Appreciate 2
Accentu8701.00
      11-27-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2808
Rep
3,398
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

When you put it in your shopping cart and go to check out, will it add a 7K market adjustment?
__________________
Current: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2023 Colorado ZR2, 2022 Kia Stinger. Former: BMW 428i Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:25 PM   #7
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
DS_BMW's Avatar
No_Country
1541
Rep
1,746
Posts

Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lancaster PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0krn View Post
Any details about Amazon car returns? Is it still 30 days?
That would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:26 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
sspade's Avatar
United_States
2450
Rep
5,437
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Stevenson, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [5.25]
30 votes tallied are we are deadlocked. Whodathunkit!?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 02:58 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
c1pher's Avatar
United_States
4478
Rep
3,979
Posts

Drives: All of them
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Well the poll says over the internet and the post says on Amazon... different questions. I HAVE bought cars overs the internet, both directly from the manufacturer (Tesla) and from out of state dealers where basically everything was done over the internet.
I didn't vote because it's two different questions. Depending on your definition of buying a car over the internet, I guess you could say I already have many times. I didn't pay electronically like I would Amazon. I don't think any dealer is ready for that yet considering all the signatures that are required to obtain a car, especially when it's out of state.

I think the closest I came to a true internet purchase of a car was with Champion Porsche in Florida. I did the deposit online, then they overnighted paperwork to me with return envelope. Once ratified, they coordinated delivery of car to me.

I bought a van from Georgia, which included my trade. They drove the van up, we signed paperwork, and he drove my trade back. It was almost surreal.

I bought another Porsche from PA and same situation except they rode the Amtrak back since I wasn't trading anything.

I almost bought a car in Wisconsin that way but they had to send a notary to witness signatures and verify my identity. Which is all well and good until they had trouble getting everything arranged. After almost three weeks of trying to get it done, and several hours taken off of work, I pulled the plug and got my money back.

So I guess what I'm saying is different dealers/states have different requirements that kind of prevent you from having a true internet transaction.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5149
Rep
1,901
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I didn't vote because it's two different questions. Depending on your definition of buying a car over the internet, I guess you could say I already have many times. I didn't pay electronically like I would Amazon. I don't think any dealer is ready for that yet considering all the signatures that are required to obtain a car, especially when it's out of state.

I think the closest I came to a true internet purchase of a car was with Champion Porsche in Florida. I did the deposit online, then they overnighted paperwork to me with return envelope. Once ratified, they coordinated delivery of car to me.

I bought a van from Georgia, which included my trade. They drove the van up, we signed paperwork, and he drove my trade back. It was almost surreal.

I bought another Porsche from PA and same situation except they rode the Amtrak back since I wasn't trading anything.

I almost bought a car in Wisconsin that way but they had to send a notary to witness signatures and verify my identity. Which is all well and good until they had trouble getting everything arranged. After almost three weeks of trying to get it done, and several hours taken off of work, I pulled the plug and got my money back.

So I guess what I'm saying is different dealers/states have different requirements that kind of prevent you from having a true internet transaction.
Tesla is pretty much 100% online. I don't believe you even need to interact with anyone when you go pick it up as you automatically get access through your phone. I did talk to the person because I wasn't sure what to do, but they basically just said use the app and it's parked outside.

Everything else was done 100% online including the financing which I did through my own bank. I don't recall but I'm assuming it was all docusign or the like if there was any paperwork.

So it CAN be done... at least in FL and anywhere Tesla sells... the industry just chooses not to do it.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4477.50
      12-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #11
KRS_SN
Major General
KRS_SN's Avatar
United Kingdom
13001
Rep
5,084
Posts

Drives: IX,G07
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [6.00]
I've always test drove cars for a couple of hours before decision. Tried out the suspension the nvh the performance the features etc.
In Tesla's case I did so and didn't buy. If amazon offers this feature I'd see if they offer test drive. If they do I'd evaluate if the car appeals to me. Then I'd buy.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 05:28 PM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5149
Rep
1,901
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
I've always test drove cars for a couple of hours before decision. Tried out the suspension the nvh the performance the features etc.
In Tesla's case I did so and didn't buy. If amazon offers this feature I'd see if they offer test drive. If they do I'd evaluate if the car appeals to me. Then I'd buy.
Didn't consider the test drive part. I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. If it's very used I would want to test drive the specific car, but new just test driving one in general is fine. I already owned a used model 3 previously so that's why I didn't have an issue ordering online from Tesla. Although Tesla specifically does offer test drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 06:03 PM   #13
KRS_SN
Major General
KRS_SN's Avatar
United Kingdom
13001
Rep
5,084
Posts

Drives: IX,G07
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Didn't consider the test drive part. I wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. If it's very used I would want to test drive the specific car, but new just test driving one in general is fine. I already owned a used model 3 previously so that's why I didn't have an issue ordering online from Tesla. Although Tesla specifically does offer test drives.
Tesla test drive process is simply the best in my experience . Book online turn up humandroid shows you the car then drive. There is simply no excuse for not test driving one model if you havenít.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 11:28 AM   #14
sspade
Major General
sspade's Avatar
United_States
2450
Rep
5,437
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Stevenson, WA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [5.25]
Little over a day left in this Poll, hoping to drum up a few more votes! An assumption that I made... but should have stated originally was:

"you already know what vehicle you want before deciding to order online, including tons of research, in an person viewing/test drive."

This wasnt meant to pose the risk of buying something online that you dont actually like... more about the process of buying online versus dealing with the stresses of an in-person purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 01:09 AM   #15
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
LOW4LYF's Avatar
2157
Rep
4,098
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: @Home

iTrader: (1)

I would do a lot of things to avoid a dealership.
Appreciate 2
RM72807.50
Bingham276.00
      12-24-2023, 02:48 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
16554
Rep
18,428
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Little over a day left in this Poll, hoping to drum up a few more votes! An assumption that I made... but should have stated originally was:

"you already know what vehicle you want before deciding to order online, including tons of research, in an person viewing/test drive."

This wasnt meant to pose the risk of buying something online that you dont actually like... more about the process of buying online versus dealing with the stresses of an in-person purchase.
So outside of a dealer, where do you see the car in person and test drive it?

Ridiculous thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #17
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5149
Rep
1,901
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So outside of a dealer, where do you see the car in person and test drive it?

Ridiculous thread.
Showrooms owned and managed by the manufacturer. You go to the showroom and see, drive and learn about the vehicles then you purchase online. I wouldn't mind buying at the showroom either if they were ran by the manufacturer and didn't involve any of the bs dealers do now.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:27 PM   #18
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2808
Rep
3,398
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So outside of a dealer, where do you see the car in person and test drive it?

Ridiculous thread.
How much value is there in this?

When I test drive a car, it doesn't seen any more effective than sitting in it. I don't get to experience the nuisances and issues that I would encounter driving it every day for a few weeks. THATs where you find the things you love or can't freaking deal with IME. Other than sitting in it to see if I like the interior, the chances of the dealership model matching the spec I am looking for are typically almost zero, such as the active suspension or transmission/engine choices that radically affect how the car drives. I'd rather a competent reviewer and orgs break down the car and do some honest assessments, because they're going to find those things that I'd find 2 weeks down the road...that I don't want to find out about after it's too late.

I think we "do it" because everyone has before, but it seems to be less and less beneficial now. Typically, I'm ordering a model that isn't sitting on the lot.
__________________
Current: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2023 Colorado ZR2, 2022 Kia Stinger. Former: BMW 428i Gran Coupe.

Last edited by RM7; 12-24-2023 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:31 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
2536
Rep
6,179
Posts

Drives: 11' 335is DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

I can't vote?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 01:32 PM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
TheMidnightNarwhal's Avatar
Canada
2536
Rep
6,179
Posts

Drives: 11' 335is DCT
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So outside of a dealer, where do you see the car in person and test drive it?

Ridiculous thread.
This can be easily resolved by allowing you to reutrn the car within like 15 days or something. And honestly, that is much better than a 10 minute test drive.

Or yeah. set up showrooms like mentioned above.
Appreciate 1
RM72807.50
      12-24-2023, 02:25 PM   #21
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5149
Rep
1,901
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
How much value is there in this?

When I test drive a car, it doesn't seen any more effective than sitting in it. I don't get to experience the nuisances and issues that I would encounter driving it every day for a few weeks. THATs where you find the things you love or can't freaking deal with IME. Other than sitting in it to see if I like the interior, the chances of the dealership model matching the spec I am looking for are typically almost zero, such as the active suspension or transmission/engine choices that radically affect how the car drives. I'd rather a competent reviewer and orgs break down the car and do some honest assessments, because they're going to find those things that I'd find 2 weeks down the road...that I don't want to find out about after it's too late.

I think we "do it" because everyone has before, but it seems to be less and less beneficial now. Typically, I'm ordering a model that isn't sitting on the lot.
I think there is some value to test driving a car even though I also think the current 10 min test drive around the block is crap. There are cars that I immediately disliked 1 min into the test drive. There are also cars that seemed fine during the test drive only to find issues later on under certain conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
This can be easily resolved by allowing you to reutrn the car within like 15 days or something. And honestly, that is much better than a 10 minute test drive.
I think this should be the standard. It may be tougher for special order custom stuff, but for your average car I think they should all come with a X day trial period. For more custom cars they could always have a similar model that maybe you can take for a day or what not to really test drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 11:07 AM   #22
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
16554
Rep
18,428
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
This can be easily resolved by allowing you to reutrn the car within like 15 days or something. And honestly, that is much better than a 10 minute test drive.

Or yeah. set up showrooms like mentioned above.
I doubt any manufacturer would ever have such a program for a regular ole street car. It's not a dress.
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13000.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST