BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #45
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
Some rando on the internet makes a claim so it must be true, right?

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-402773429497
welcome to 2023 where most people get their news from Twitter and Youtube which never has whacko conspiracy loving idiots on there spreading misinformation to rile up all the sheep who lap it all up
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #46
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
welcome to 2023 where most people get their news from Twitter and Youtube which never has whacko conspiracy loving idiots on there spreading misinformation to rile up all the sheep who lap it all up
Maybe if you took the time to read the thread you wouldn't embarrass yourself
There are plenty of excellent sources about the original legislation and the law to over ride the bill but you be you.
Appreciate 1
gblansten1813.00
      11-29-2023, 05:30 AM   #47
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
So the "technology" detects the driver is impared and pulls the car over to the side of the road, hopefully in a safe spot. Then the technology will not let the car move or be driven further. That sounds like a kill switch. A "soft kill switch" describes it best.

Well, then what happens? The car is sitting on the side of the road with the flashers on? That pretty much gets the attention of the police. The police find the (drunk) driver behind the wheel and arrest him for DUI. At trial, what evidence will the police use to support their DUI arrest? Well, of course it will be the driver monitoring data captured in the DMCM (Driver Monitoring Control Module). What else would the police have as evidence to suspect the driver of operating the vehicle while impared; it's called "probable cause". So yes, the police will have access to the data, not to shut the car off, but to make a DUI conviction.

Perhaps politicians should read the Constitution.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-29-2023 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 05:36 AM   #48
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Maybe if you took the time to read the thread you wouldn't embarrass yourself
There are plenty of excellent sources about the original legislation and the law to over ride the bill but you be you.

did i hit a nerve ?

it is a generalization of today's society that belive everything they see on social media or the internet ...relax
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 08:58 AM   #49
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So the "technology" detects the driver is impared and pulls the car over to the side of the road, hopefully in a safe spot. Then the technology will not let the car move or be driven further. That sounds like a kill switch. A "soft kill switch" describes it best.
So it's midnight and you are driving through Center City, Philadelphia and due to road construction you drive over a bunch of painted lines due to redirections. Your impaired driver systems is triggered and your car kicks into limp home mode and you are warned you have 1 mile to pull over. What could possibly go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:14 AM   #50
Sebis
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 G87, '18 GTI

This is such a bad idea I cannot comprehend how a sane individual would agree to drive with this “technology “ in the car.

I work in software development and I can guarantee there are going to be many system failures that will eventually cause accidents or even fatalities. Not to speak of the constitutional aspect in the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #51
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Fact-Checkers Are Gaslighting You on the Feds’ Vehicle ‘Kill Switch’ Mandate
“The right to travel is fundamental, but the government has mandated a kill-switch in new vehicles sold after 2026,” said Massie. “The kill-switch will monitor driver performance and disable cars based on the information gathered.”
Sec. 24220 of the law explicitly states: “[T]o ensure the prevention of alcohol-impaired driving fatalities, advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology must be standard equipment in all new passenger motor vehicles.”
The legislation then goes on to define the technology as a computer system that can “passively monitor the performance of a driver of a motor vehicle” and can “prevent or limit motor vehicle operation if an impairment is detected” .

https://www.aier.org/article/fact-ch...witch-mandate/

Wherever the real power in a Government lies, there is the danger of oppression. In our Governments, the real power lies in the majority of the Community, and the invasion of private rights is chiefly to be apprehended, not from the acts of Government contrary to the sense of its constituents, but from acts in which the Government is the mere instrument of the major number of the constituents.
James Madison
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:30 AM   #52
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

"I work for the government. I'm here to help."

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:42 AM   #53
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
"I work for the government. I'm here to help."
Education Secretary Miguel Cardona is that you?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 11:13 AM   #54
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^
Good grief that was humiliating. From Edu brass, no less.