BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

05-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #89
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
So, here's the funny thing. I went through my records, and I'm now 80% certain the 5 year cycle for F15 is true. Its replacement should start production in August 2018. Moreover, this piece of information has been staring me in the face for over a year now, and I just kept ignoring it.

I should be able to go from 80% to 0% or 100% within the next 6 months.
That makes sense given the evidence - we've already seen it testing.

It also makes sense from a business perspective because having the X5 and the 5 Series offset by so many years means the latter inevitably begins to look very dated toward the end of its life. BMW did something similar with the X3 - the first generation was based on the long-in-tooth E46 3 Series platform, but with the second generation they skipped it way ahead and used a platform similar to the F30. The X5 won't be quite the same because they aren't skipping a platform generation, but it would appear they have a similar goal in mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #90
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Later this year Spartanburg will go into lockdown in order to implement the new assembly lines and production methods to handle the CLAR vehicles.
First of which is the G01 BMW X3. A new assembly hall is also under competition to handle the BMW X7.

From a production stand point it is correct to introduce a new model X5 especially when everything else manufactured in Spartanburg will be using the CLAR architecture.
It also allows the complete renewal of the core of the BMW X portfolio with X3,X4,X5,X6 and the introduction of the first all new X7. But also the non-US built first BMW X2 model and Life Cycle Impulse for the X1. Very appropriate when global sales of SUV/Crossover models continue to grow in market share.
And continue to dominate all core segments especially in markets like the US.

F15/F16 will get a refresh but it will be a subtle update nothing too major as they are selling extremely well.
Refresh will include updated technology via connected drive and Touch screen iDrive updates.
The X4 not so much its a mid-life vehicle having entered during the X3 its based on at its mid-life cycle. So its life span is just over four years.

The entire BMW X portfolio will have been refreshed,renewed and expanded.
It is why recent query to BMW in regards to newer competition from Mercedes-Benz has been shrugged off because they will have every model available for the market from the compact segment to the Grand Klasse luxury of the X7.
      05-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #91
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That makes sense given the evidence - we've already seen it testing.

It also makes sense from a business perspective because having the X5 and the 5 Series offset by so many years means the latter inevitably begins to look very dated toward the end of its life. BMW did something similar with the X3 - the first generation was based on the long-in-tooth E46 3 Series platform, but with the second generation they skipped it way ahead and used a platform similar to the F30. The X5 won't be quite the same because they aren't skipping a platform generation, but it would appear they have a similar goal in mind.
The main problem with F15 is the letter F. If it stayed on the usual 7 year cycle, it would continue production until mid-2020. By that time, the only F vehicles remaining would be niche cars like F23 or F82 and the UKL/F56 derivatives. Most importantly, for two years it would be the only F vehicle in Spartanburg, making a mess of the highly unified production process at that plant. The short product cycle, on the other hand, allows Spartanburg to fully transition to G platforms (or CLAR as Scott loves to call them) by mid-2018. There's probably 8 digit savings in manufacturing costs thanks to that. Makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #92
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

So is are these two sequential turbo chargers and each set is dedicated to 3 cylinders?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0