BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-16-2024, 02:55 PM   #1
florinant93
Rep
Drives: 2022 745Le LCI, 2023 530e LCI

Retrofitting extra charging ports

One thing that annoys me on my G12 is the location of the USB-C charging ports, which are sitting on the footwell under the rear climate control. I hate having chargers plugged there for my passengers as it clutters the car. On my previous car there were two ports inside the arm rest, which was very convenient.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to install two ports in the rear armrest and if anyone has done it?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 04:06 PM   #2
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinant93 View Post
One thing that annoys me on my G12 is the location of the USB-C charging ports, which are sitting on the footwell under the rear climate control. I hate having chargers plugged there for my passengers as it clutters the car. On my previous car there were two ports inside the arm rest, which was very convenient.

Now I'm wondering if it's possible to install two ports in the rear armrest and if anyone has done it?
Yes you can, could put it inside the door.
use something like this and tap it into the 12V switched power plug in the armrest

https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Automo...dp/B0BZ3FQB8V/

Or this
https://www.amazon.com/Outlet-Charge...dp/B0BX6F1ZP9/

you just need to make the correct holes and make sure there is enough space behind to fit the round plug, or use the surface one that in the first link.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 12:11 PM   #3
florinant93
Rep
Drives: 2022 745Le LCI, 2023 530e LCI

Ah, so it's just a job of tapping into 12v power, I thought maybe there was more involved in retrofitting USB plugs. But now thinking back that they're only used for power and that they don't need to connect to the car's media system, it makes sense. I will search for some more subtle plugs and install those. Thanks 👍
Appreciate 0