BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-17-2024, 06:51 PM   #1
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

2016 750i - 25k miles (Help!)

Hi All,

Am looking at a 2016 750li with 25k miles (asking $32k). Am a long time BMW owner, but have never had a 7.

The depreciation on these cars seems insane relative to sticker price when sold, and subsequently the value for money feels compelling - but I am concerned about further equity erosion over the next 3 years, and reliability / maintenance.

Does anybody have any insight? I would be using this as a daily driver (~8-10k miles per year), and would likely own for 24-36 months.

Thanks so much.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2024, 09:11 PM   #2
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Pls? Anyone? My x3m was stolen in August and my s4 was in an accident last week (black ice).

Am now without a car altogether.

I’m looking for a daily driver that accommodates small kids, but equally scratches the enthusiast itch, and isn’t insanely expensive (market seems like it is cooling, but has a ways to go).

I’ll leave the next M car for what will hopefully be a 3rd car in due course.

Thanks!

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:06 AM   #3
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
Pls? Anyone? My x3m was stolen in August and my s4 was in an accident last week (black ice).

Am now without a car altogether.

I’m looking for a daily driver that accommodates small kids, but equally scratches the enthusiast itch, and isn’t insanely expensive (market seems like it is cooling, but has a ways to go).

I’ll leave the next M car for what will hopefully be a 3rd car in due course.

Thanks!
It's an expensive and very complicated car that's aging, so there's risk in that. And that risk is reflected in the huge depreciation you mentioned. Just remember that while you'd buying at the ~$30K price point, repairs and maintenance are for a $100K+ vehicle. Not necessarily a deal breaker, rather something to be aware of. But to be fair, I doubt there are a lot of cheap repairs to be made on an X3M or S4 either.

It's a little bit of a crap shoot, the car may serve you well or it could be a money pit. Off the top of my head, first model years are always prone to more "bugs" and that iteration of the N63 (TU) 1) may or may not consume oil 2) likely to eventually have an issue where the plastic coolant lines near turbos become brittle. The air suspension may need some attention at some point too

Last edited by AllIn216; 01-18-2024 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 11:52 AM   #4
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn216 View Post
It's an expensive and very complicated car that's aging, so there's risk in that. And that risk is reflected in the huge depreciation you mentioned. Just remember that while you'd buying at the ~$30K price point, repairs and maintenance are for a $100K+ vehicle. Not necessarily a deal breaker, rather something to be aware of. But to be fair, I doubt there are a lot of cheap repairs to be made on an X3M or S4 either.

It's a little bit of a crap shoot, the car may serve you well or it could be a money pit. Off the top of my head, first model years are always prone to more "bugs" and that iteration of the N63 (TU) 1) may or may not consume oil 2) likely to eventually have an issue where the plastic coolant lines near turbos become brittle. The air suspension may need some attention at some point too
Thanks. Why do they depreciate so fast? Surely a lot of the parts are shared with the 5? Is it just a smaller buyer pool?

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 01:17 PM   #5
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Thanks. Why do they depreciate so fast? Surely a lot of the parts are shared with the 5? Is it just a smaller buyer pool?
There are few factors, but I think the main one is how the market (buyers) perceive its value. Anything that's highly sought after usually tend to cost more.

I don't believe a lot of parts are shared with 5 though. IMO, the difference between 7 and 5 is greater than between 5 and 3.

I used to be one of the naysayers against the 7-series until I bought my G12 in 2020. Despite having no major issues, i'm still not recommending it to every friend I have. I may be just lucky due to the timing that bmw may have improved the G-series compared to earlier models.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 01:24 PM   #6
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
There are few factors, but I think the main one is how the market (buyers) perceive its value. Anything that's highly sought after usually tend to cost more.

I don't believe a lot of parts are shared with 5 though. IMO, the difference between 7 and 5 is greater than between 5 and 3.

I used to be one of the naysayers against the 7-series until I bought my G12 in 2020. Despite having no major issues, i'm still not recommending it to every friend I have. I may be just lucky due to the timing that bmw may have improved the G-series compared to earlier models.
You guys are making me nervous. I’ll use this as a daily, so really would prefer not to have major headaches.

If I got a PPI done, does that mitigate a bunch of the hidden risk?

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:42 PM   #7
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
You guys are making me nervous. I’ll use this as a daily, so really would prefer not to have major headaches.

If I got a PPI done, does that mitigate a bunch of the hidden risk?
You might be better off purchasing extended warranty or vehicle service contract.

I don't have any warranty on my g12, but i do have the b58 engine, know how to do simple DIY, and i live dangerously so there's that
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 03:54 PM   #8
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

G11/12 is quite a reliable platform as far as I have seen. Personal experience is mostly with inline 6 petrol and diesel engines, but from with I've heard, there's nothing much to complain over V8 either.

Engines and gearboxes are not the main things that contribute to general running costs. It's the usual maintenance items that cost and have added '7' tax to them if you choose to go down the dealer route. With indies, you can maintain it in great order at costs similar to any other model. Early production years haven't revealed any noticeable concerns on G11/12 platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 01:52 PM   #9
GFK007
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
G11/12 is quite a reliable platform as far as I have seen. Personal experience is mostly with inline 6 petrol and diesel engines, but from with I've heard, there's nothing much to complain over V8 either.

Engines and gearboxes are not the main things that contribute to general running costs. It's the usual maintenance items that cost and have added '7' tax to them if you choose to go down the dealer route. With indies, you can maintain it in great order at costs similar to any other model. Early production years haven't revealed any noticeable concerns on G11/12 platform.
Am worried about buying a car out of warranty, even when it’s only got 25k miles. Wrestling with myself endlessly.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 09:12 AM   #10
dc5525
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 740i Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
My position has always been if you can't afford or worried about paying maintenance cost on a luxury car, you shouldn't buy it in the first place. As previous poster pointed out, you are not buying a $30K car (you should be able to neg. down to $30) you are buying a $100K+car at a significant discount and the maintenance costs will not discriminate that. With that being said at 25K miles is low for a nine year-old car (assuming produced in 2015) so a good PPI will help disclose if there is any deferred maintenance lurking.

With that being said - if you like the car, buy it and enjoy it!!!
Appreciate 1
M_Bimmer582.50