BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

12-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #23
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
What an embarrassing engineering fail by BMW, a company whose entire identity is about engineering. You would think that somebody would have flagged this early in the design process.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2022, 08:52 AM   #24
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

I think I had mentioned before in some thread - their attention to fine details, especially on higher end cars/options, is awful.

I remember when they had all sorts of initial problems with hotspots, too.

Bmw should pay attention to its product and thoroughly test. The other thing they are awful about is incorporating customer feedback. They get lots - formally and informally, but they consciously choose not to listen.

Sad.

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #25
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

To make things even worse, T-Mobile isn't even working.

I have now been on the phone with T-Mobile and BMW Assist on a conference call for part of the time, for literally two hours and the bottom line is that they can see that there is a huge list of BMW customers that have called in who all have problems not being able to connect the eSim, and they are referring cases to engineers on a case by case basis. I am now on that list.

So, not only have they not worked it out with Verizon and AT&T, but apparently, they haven't figured it out completely with T-Mobile either.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #26
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

GOOD NEWS:

The position of the seat in relationship to the TV in the back is not as bad as I had originally thought. Sorry for misleading anyone.

By lots of trial and error this morning, apparently I must be sleeping when I drive, because the biggest factor is not the distance, but the position of the back of the seat. If I put the back of the seat almost upright, to something that resembles more of a dining room chair position, then the seat can stay in the same distance position and the TV will come down. This is certainly not to be considered a flaw. Sorry BMW for judging you too quickly.

Not the most comfortable position for me, but certainly doable. Maybe some of you already have the seat in this position.

Sorry for misleading those that are here, my apologies.

One thing to be aware of is that obviously there is no rear view mirror view when it's down, so you have to be more careful.
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2022, 05:25 PM   #27
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

WOW!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-03-2022, 08:50 PM   #28
bimori
Rep
Drives: BMW (X7 760IX))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post
GOOD NEWS:

The position of the seat in relationship to the TV in the back is not as bad as I had originally thought. Sorry for misleading anyone.

By lots of trial and error this morning, apparently I must be sleeping when I drive, because the biggest factor is not the distance, but the position of the back of the seat. If I put the back of the seat almost upright, to something that resembles more of a dining room chair position, then the seat can stay in the same distance position and the TV will come down. This is certainly not to be considered a flaw. Sorry BMW for judging you too quickly.

Not the most comfortable position for me, but certainly doable. Maybe some of you already have the seat in this position.

Sorry for misleading those that are here, my apologies.

One thing to be aware of is that obviously there is no rear view mirror view when it's down, so you have to be more careful.
Good to know. I was beginning to get worried 😂😂
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 02:20 PM   #29
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schindlers List View Post
So quick question then, Im supposed to get mine in 1st quarter of 2023... Is the screen unable to connect to any kind of phone/ mobile hotspot then?
I was able to confirm that the back of the unit does have a HDMI port and an USB-C port so I assume you could probably hook something up to either of these, although I haven't tried it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lovin7er; 12-04-2022 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 07:25 PM   #30
bimori
Rep

Quote:
I don't know yet. I did sign up today for T-Mobile and got my phone number to hook up the eSim in the car. You have a wait 24 to 48 hours for that to provision before you can try to hook up to BMW Magenta Drive.

I was also told you can buy the Amazon Fire Stick, and hook that up to your phone as a hotspot. There is a specific icon in the menu for that, but I haven't played with it yet. I am a little confused about this because I read an article that said the screen in the back is a "Fire TV" which would indicate the stick is built it.

I am going to figure this all out once I get the eSim working.

In any event, from what the dealer is telling me, there is an HDMI port, and you can hook something up there that can connect to your phone as a hotspot. I wonder if some sort of player might even work with the HDMI port?

I will report back.
ESIM activation on these cars should be seamless if you have it already activated on your personal cell. Make sure you have that activated first.
I just activated ESIM on my wife's G07, and it took all of 10 minutes. Didn't have to call T-Mobile, and the T-Mobile plan is Magenta Drive for BMW which cost $20. Went through the BMW app, and it prompted me to log into my T-Mobile account.

Maybe all of this is easier because I'm already a T-Mobile customer. I pick up my car this week. I'll follow the same steps and report back!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 07:30 PM   #31
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimori View Post
ESIM activation on these cars should be seamless if you have it already activated on your personal cell. Make sure you have that activated first.
I just activated ESIM on my wife's G07, and it took all of 10 minutes. Didn't have to call T-Mobile, and the T-Mobile plan is Magenta Drive for BMW which cost $20. Went through the BMW app, and it prompted me to log into my T-Mobile account.

Maybe all of this is easier because I'm already a T-Mobile customer. I pick up my car this week. I'll follow the same steps and report back!
Correct, it is because you are an active customer already. Congrats, glad it worked out.

Because I was a new customer, my account had to be provisioned and set up to take this type of service that required some supervisor intervention. As you said, once that was done, no issues. The car will install it automatically.

Bet you are excited to get your car next week. It is amazing!
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 10:58 PM   #32
bimmer32
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Will the screen turn off when it is down and you start driving or move the driver's seat back to a drivable position?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #33
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

are you guys seriously saying BMW didnt make the rear view mirror a digital camera?
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 08:33 AM   #34
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
are you guys seriously saying BMW didnt make the rear view mirror a digital camera?
Yes sir, unless I’m doing something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #35
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer32 View Post
Will the screen turn off when it is down and you start driving or move the driver's seat back to a drivable position?
See answers below:

1. The screen does not turn off when you start driving.
2. You can't move the seats back when the screen is down.
3. I am a pretty tall guy so I put the seat way back. I find if I leave the seat where it is, and put the seat back more upright, more like a dining room chair, then that gives enough room to drive comfortably but in a more upright position, and the screen will still come down. You need to do this for both seats.
4. If anyone opens the back door, the screen will shut off automatically if you don't push the button that you want it to continue.
5. When you put the screen up, it automatically shuts off.
6. When you put the screen down, the back blind automatically comes closes but does not open when you put it back up.
7. No rear view mirror when the screen is down.
8. You will wish you were in the back seat instead of the one driving.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Lovin7er; 12-05-2022 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #36
Schindlers List
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i7

Thanks again for answering everyones questions Lovin7er . Its so new people are curious. and yeah to answer your question, an amazon fire tv means the stick is built into the TV software so it acts like a fire stick but doesnt actually have the stick hanging out. I know that because i have an amazon fire Tv for my workout room. So the weird fact that they tell you that an amazon fire stick would work for a normal 5g hotspot is so weird. Sounds like they are a month or two away from working out all the kinks. Im curious what the actual benefit is of this BMW Magenta and having the in car wifi compared to just a normal 5g hotspot.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 03:09 PM   #37
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schindlers List View Post
Thanks again for answering everyones questions Lovin7er . Its so new people are curious. and yeah to answer your question, an amazon fire tv means the stick is built into the TV software so it acts like a fire stick but doesnt actually have the stick hanging out. I know that because i have an amazon fire Tv for my workout room. So the weird fact that they tell you that an amazon fire stick would work for a normal 5g hotspot is so weird. Sounds like they are a month or two away from working out all the kinks. Im curious what the actual benefit is of this BMW Magenta and having the in car wifi compared to just a normal 5g hotspot.
"I think" the theory is that you are using the car's powered antenna so you should have better reception and faster speeds. I know I read somewhere that the benefit of using the eSim is that you get to use the car's antenna instead of the phone, so I "assume" that means it is supposed to be better.

Maybe others can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 11:09 PM   #38
AssKickinChicken
Rep
Drives: i8, 535i, X5, X7 M60i, i7 x60

Garage List
2019 Jeep Wrangler ...  [0.00]
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2023 BMW X7 M60i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Yep! Even if the screen is up, if you have the rear shade up you can't see through it. Mindblowing!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #39
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

ATT is now live for G70 5G.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #40
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ditate View Post
ATT is now live for G70 5G.
Yes, just heard from Genius. Hopefully Verizon is right behind them.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #41
amore21c
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760

Angry Theater screen of 2023 BMW 760 (eSIM)

Quote:
I am being told by both BMW Assist and T-Mobile that in order to activate the eSim in the 760 and get a hotspot, if you are not a pre-existing T-Mobile customer you have to:

1. Open a T-Mobile account and get a new phone number. Anywhere from $65.00 per month and up depending upon your age for unlimited plan.
2. Pull a credit report and ding your credit score
3. Buy a device to register that number with an IMEI.
4. After the above, you have the privilege of activating the eSim for an additional $20.00 per month.

Short of this fiasco, you don't get a hotspot in your $100,000 plus car.

This can't be true...
I've purchased a two-toned 2023 BMW 760 with full ops, of course, incl. the theater screen, which is like a disaster.
I expected watching YouTube, Netflix or my movies stored and linked my phone. Nothing is working.
Also bought a HDMI to USB C cable to link my phone, but you have to move the cursor touching your black screened phone.

I really don't understand what BMW was thinking about when they designed this screen...

And...still struggling with T mobile eSIM chatting agents and BMW dealership. back and forth over and over...
I'm gonna complain to BMW headquarter. Who could imagine this is happening? Already putting $150,000 in my car and extra 60 bucks excl. $20 to use theater screen?

* Be ware of: DO NOT buy Snyc something from T Mobile, as it's not working. I've tried. You do need a real phone number (eSIM).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #42
amore21c
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760

Already tried with C cable and HDMI. No recognition with C cable. Literally nothing. with HDMI? You have move the cursor using your fingertips on your personal phone screen, which turns to black....what a joke. Of course you have to BUY HDMI to usb C cable..haha
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #43
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amore21c View Post
I've purchased a two-toned 2023 BMW 760 with full ops, of course, incl. the theater screen, which is like a disaster.
I expected watching YouTube, Netflix or my movies stored and linked my phone. Nothing is working.
Also bought a HDMI to USB C cable to link my phone, but you have to move the cursor touching your black screened phone.

I really don't understand what BMW was thinking about when they designed this screen...

And...still struggling with T mobile eSIM chatting agents and BMW dealership. back and forth over and over...
I'm gonna complain to BMW headquarter. Who could imagine this is happening? Already putting $150,000 in my car and extra 60 bucks excl. $20 to use theater screen?

* Be ware of: DO NOT buy Snyc something from T Mobile, as it's not working. I've tried. You do need a real phone number (eSIM).
So, a few things.

1. The just added AT&T so if you have that, you can now use that in addition to T-Mobile. Verizon is next but not yet. Hopefully soon.
2. You need the eSim to make the TV work. I have the eSim hooked up and the TV works like a charm. I can watch You Tube, Netflix and basically all the Apps. You have to first hook the eSim, then you need a Fire TV account on Amazon because this is a Fire TV. When you start the TV, on the door screen is a Fire TV icon and that gives you everything.

It all works great. If you just set up T-Mobile as a new account, you have to wait a few days for everything to provision itself. Once it does, it connects easily through the BMW App.

Yes, SYNC is not the proper product for this. You need BMW Magenta Drive which can only be added through the BMW App.

Hope this helps.

What two tone did you get? Any pictures?

This is my car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lovin7er; 12-06-2022 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
TWB24.00
      12-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #44
bimori
Rep

Picked her up today
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
TWB24.00