BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-06-2024, 01:34 PM   #1
UberF30er
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 xdrive sedan

Looking to buy 2021 750i - Need Help!

Hello Forum,

Looking to buying a 2021 750i with 31K miles. Had PPI done. As you can see in the attached pictures, couple of the brake calipers and the muffler have surface rust on them. Questions:

1. Is the rusting of the calipers and muffler normal?

2. If not, are the repairs covered by warranty?

3. If not covered by warranty, cost to replace?

4. If everything else was OK with the car, would you buy with these two issues present?

Many thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 05:45 PM   #2
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

Yes, surface corrosion under the vehicle is normal. It's a 3 year old used car in a state where roads get salted. Not a warranty items since they are not defects.

Personally, I would be more concerned about all of the missing fasteners for the heatshields and underbody aeroshields (not to mention what looks to be damage to them). Mismatched tires too
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:44 PM   #3
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

The calipers are mostly made up of aluminum. They won't rust BUT they do corrode - most likely caused by brake particles reacted with salt. If you really want the car and everything else checked out to be fine, you can either clean the corroded part and repaint it or buy a new/used set and replace.

The exhaust doesn't look terrible though. The G12 contains fewer steel parts compared to other BMW models, I wouldn't be concerned too much about rust.

Ditto on what AllIn216 mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:37 AM   #4
UberF30er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn216 View Post
Yes, surface corrosion under the vehicle is normal. It's a 3 year old used car in a state where roads get salted. Not a warranty items since they are not defects.

Personally, I would be more concerned about all of the missing fasteners for the heatshields and underbody aeroshields (not to mention what looks to be damage to them). Mismatched tires too
Many thanks for your comments. Did not know about the missing fasteners (don’t know what they would look like in any case). Are the heat shields and underbody aero shields also missing or are just the fasteners? Thanks for pointing out the mismatched tires. Appreciate your help and comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 12:39 AM   #5
UberF30er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g11hoonigan View Post
The calipers are mostly made up of aluminum. They won't rust BUT they do corrode - most likely caused by brake particles reacted with salt. If you really want the car and everything else checked out to be fine, you can either clean the corroded part and repaint it or buy a new/used set and replace.

The exhaust doesn't look terrible though. The G12 contains fewer steel parts compared to other BMW models, I wouldn't be concerned too much about rust.

Ditto on what AllIn216 mentioned above.
Thanks much. Appreciate your comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:10 AM   #6
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Pretty much the whole underbody should be covered with plastic panels. You should not be able to see all the air, fuel and power lines. You really dont want to drive around like that or there is a high risk of damage to those lines and underbody.

As mentioned above regarding brakes, then this is not a caliper rust. It is iron content from pads and rotors that have deposited onto caliper and have started oxidizing there. You might even get it nice and clean with wheel acid. Those caliper paints are really strong and durable.

From those pictures I cant see any exhaust rust. Just normal heat discoloration along the run.

If you like this car, then I suggest you take it somewhere for pre purchase inspection so they would identify all the missing components on the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 06:11 AM   #7
BlackM750i
Private
Rep
Drives: 750i M Sport

Agree with everyone above. You're missing the underbody panels. I would not want to drive around with exposed lines like that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 07:58 AM   #8
UberF30er
Rep

Thanks everyone for your replies. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 05:57 PM   #9
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberF30er View Post
Many thanks for your comments. Did not know about the missing fasteners (don’t know what they would look like in any case). Are the heat shields and underbody aero shields also missing or are just the fasteners? Thanks for pointing out the mismatched tires. Appreciate your help and comments.
Looks like everyone else has already answered this for you but yeah, that car is missing fasteners for the heatshields and aeroshields, and several aeroshields themselves. Is the seller disclosing prior damage to the vehicle (accident/flood/etc)? I think it's a red flag either way: A) if no disclosure (they don't all just fall off) and B) even if, say an accident, is disclosed, because I really question the quality of repair and service the vehicle's had.

In my experience, few things are expensive as a "cheap" luxury vehicle can be.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:21 AM   #10
UberF30er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn216 View Post
Looks like everyone else has already answered this for you but yeah, that car is missing fasteners for the heatshields and aeroshields, and several aeroshields themselves. Is the seller disclosing prior damage to the vehicle (accident/flood/etc)? I think it's a red flag either way: A) if no disclosure (they don't all just fall off) and B) even if, say an accident, is disclosed, because I really question the quality of repair and service the vehicle's had.

In my experience, few things are expensive as a "cheap" luxury vehicle can be.
Not moving forward with the purchase. The car is being sold by a non-BMW dealership who purchased it in an auction. The Carfax does show an accident. However, no additional details are available. I did have the PPI done and it showed this and a few other issues. Too much hair and not worth taking the risk for me. Appreciate everyone’s time in answering my question! You all rock!!!
Appreciate 1
Raimo5183.00