BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-28-2023, 01:47 AM   #1
ro745e
Rep
Drives: BMW 745e

745 PHEV oil change

Hi,
I've got a 2019 745e PHEV which is out of warranty and I want to do a major maintenance service. Current total mileage(ICE+electric) is 138.000 kms (86.5k mi) while the total amount on ICE exclusively is about 90.000 kms (56k mi).
My dilemma is what kind of engine oil should I use for the B58X engine, considering most of the time i'm using the ICE and my driving is mostly in the city BUT there's always some electric power reserve building up and stored in the battery as I go. So the usual scenario is the car would start on battery and then the ICE would kick-in after a few miles when the battery runs low.
And there's always the start-stop thing which MOST of the times fires up the ICE.

Options(afaik) and per manual, would be:
BMW 0w30 LL12FE
BMW 0w20 LL17FE+

Which one of these would you go with considering :
1- the driving is mostly city = lots of start/stop activity for the ICE
2- the ICE gets used more than the EV battery (I mostly DONT charge the EV, it self charges by driving on ICE)
3- we have mild climate here in Romania most of the time, the winters are cold but not cold as and they kind of short. summer hot is 100F at most but thats short too.
4- When turning ignition ON, the car is factory set to use Hybrid mode. So up to a certain point it runs on EV then the ICE kicks in. If the ICE kicks in after cold start, that means the engine oil has to do its job pretty quickly I suppose, as I live outside the city, so on the highway to the city, the ICE would kick in at approx 75-80kmh.

Thanks!

PS: Different topic, the certified BMW service provider cant get the original BMW brake fluid for some reason, so what brand and type would u go with? In our market there's ATE, TRW, Motul and others available.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 04:28 AM   #2
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Your car can take few different oil specifications, but LL-17FE+ is recommended for B58TU0/TU1.

I'll also attach two documents for technically suitable oil types for BMW group engines and list of approved LL-17FE+ oils, should you wish to shop around.

For break fluid, you can go with any good DOT 4 fluid out there. Castrol, TRW, ATE, Liqui Moly, etc. are all safe bets.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW Longlife-17 FE+.pdf (52.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: pdf Technically appropriate engine oils for BMW Group engines.pdf (87.7 KB, 45 views)
Appreciate 1
ro745e9.00
      08-29-2023, 02:09 AM   #3
ro745e
Rep
Drives: BMW 745e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Your car can take few different oil specifications, but LL-17FE+ is recommended for B58TU0/TU1.

I'll also attach two documents for technically suitable oil types for BMW group engines and list of approved LL-17FE+ oils, should you wish to shop around.

For break fluid, you can go with any good DOT 4 fluid out there. Castrol, TRW, ATE, Liqui Moly, etc. are all safe bets.
Thanks a lot for your reply !

I suppose BMW is recommending(pushing) the LL17FE+ because of the environmental pollution issues as it helps with fuel save? Isn't the 0w30 more fit for my situation as I'm putting quite more strain on the B58 compared to what a normal PHEV user would? Im not the type of guy that cares about fuel saving, I just want what's the best for my engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 03:58 AM   #4
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

I don't know how much BMW cares about individual fuel consumption post sales. Sure, during R&D testing this is important, but published oil recommendations dont apply there. There are also differences in additive packages and physical properties between different approval ratings. You will find that newer approvals have vastly improved shear strength, which is also why they can get away with lower viscosities. And low viscosity is your friend!

Bear in mind that LL-17FE is recommended for all B58TU0/1 engines, not only PHEV/MHEV. So full ICE B58 will also run LL-17FE, without any issues.

Fact is that newer oil approvals usually are superior, and low viscosity is just because now we have technology to do it. We would have used low viscosities long before if we could have done it.

That said, you can easily and without any fears pick approved 0W-30 oil and be just as good. If that makes you more comfortable then go for it. Just make sure to do oil changes once a year or every 15000km (which ever comes first), not those dumb extended oil change intervals.
Appreciate 0