BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-17-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 750i xDrive, Supra 3.0L

20K Mile Update 2021 G12 750

Now that I've crossed the 20K mile mark in my 2021 750, I wanted to share my thoughts on the vehicle so far:

The positive:

It's an absolute joy to drive! Whether it's on my long, normal commute, or interstate customer visits, the 750 eats up highway miles with ease. Perfectly at home on the open road.

The abundant, effortless power is glorious, addictive, and surely going to get me in trouble one of these days. I love how it balances it's overall docile and comfortable nature with its capability for straight-line speed.

Surprisingly good fuel economy. At 26.3 MPG (3.8 gal per 100 mi), I'm averaging more than the EPA highway rating and almost exactly the same as the the smaller G80 3.5T the 750 replaced. Best tank so far has been 28.8 MPG, worst was 21.4 so not a bad spread either. I didn't pick this car based on fuel mileage, but it's still been a nice plus on long drives.

The annoying:

Climate control system is weak. Going to mention to the dealer next visit, maybe something needs recalibrated. I often find myself dialing down the temperature far lower than any car I've had before. My last few cars 71-72 on Auto was good, in this car anything over 68 is uncomfortably warm. And it's not exactly like Cleveland is known for it's tropical weather or anything.

The cooled seats are also lame and loud. Past Lexus, Audi, and Mercedes cooled seats were much more effective. Even with my short-lived Genesis experiment, those also worked better.

Quirky Apple Carplay behavior where it would disconnect...not randomly but when I drove in certain locations it just dropped out. At one point after an iDrive update my phone wouldn't talk to the car at all anymore, even after deleting/repairing. A little research told me this is common and a hard reset of phone and headunit seemed to have cleared up both of these issues (knock on wood).

The Odd Observations:

This thing is big! It BARELY fits in the attached garage bay I like to park my DD in.

While pumping gas, on multiple occasions, I've had station attendants ask me to shut the car off because of the fans and pumps that run. I got a chuckle out of that lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Raimo5183.00
      08-18-2023, 12:06 AM   #2
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIn216 View Post
Now that I've crossed the 20K mile mark in my 2021 750, I wanted to share my thoughts on the vehicle so far:

The positive:

It's an absolute joy to drive! Whether it's on my long, normal commute, or interstate customer visits, the 750 eats up highway miles with ease. Perfectly at home on the open road.

The abundant, effortless power is glorious, addictive, and surely going to get me in trouble one of these days. I love how it balances it's overall docile and comfortable nature with its capability for straight-line speed.

Surprisingly good fuel economy. At 26.3 MPG (3.8 gal per 100 mi), I'm averaging more than the EPA highway rating and almost exactly the same as the the smaller G80 3.5T the 750 replaced. Best tank so far has been 28.8 MPG, worst was 21.4 so not a bad spread either. I didn't pick this car based on fuel mileage, but it's still been a nice plus on long drives.

The annoying:

Climate control system is weak. Going to mention to the dealer next visit, maybe something needs recalibrated. I often find myself dialing down the temperature far lower than any car I've had before. My last few cars 71-72 on Auto was good, in this car anything over 68 is uncomfortably warm. And it's not exactly like Cleveland is known for it's tropical weather or anything.

The cooled seats are also lame and loud. Past Lexus, Audi, and Mercedes cooled seats were much more effective. Even with my short-lived Genesis experiment, those also worked better.

Quirky Apple Carplay behavior where it would disconnect...not randomly but when I drove in certain locations it just dropped out. At one point after an iDrive update my phone wouldn't talk to the car at all anymore, even after deleting/repairing. A little research told me this is common and a hard reset of phone and headunit seemed to have cleared up both of these issues (knock on wood).

The Odd Observations:

This thing is big! It BARELY fits in the attached garage bay I like to park my DD in.

While pumping gas, on multiple occasions, I've had station attendants ask me to shut the car off because of the fans and pumps that run. I got a chuckle out of that lol.
It sure is a dream to drive. I live in Florida and the AC blows very cold.

The fans on the seat are a joke. I actually had to get mine replaced because it was making so much noise but was done under warranty.

I’ve got 70k trouble free miles on mine other than some minor stuff early on all fixed under warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 02:59 AM   #3
akataka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G11 740i

Air conditioning temperature can be changed by coding.

IHKA4
3000 Variantenkodierung
LAENDERVARTANTE

In order of coldest to coldest, RoW, US, and ECE.
In Japan, the air conditioner seems to be set to ECE due to fuel consumption and noise problems, and does not cool well in the terrible summer heat.
I set it to RoW because it produces a cold breeze.
Japan is much hotter than Germans think.

The other day I looked at ISTA for 1 minute after coding at 35℃, and the "mixing air flap" was as follows.

ECE : 24%
US : 18%
RoW : 14%
(MAX button enabled : 0%)

In other words, the higher the number, the more air goes through the heater and the warmer the airflow.

Dealers do not like coding, so it may affect your warranty.

Last edited by akataka; 08-18-2023 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Raimo5183.00
      08-18-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akataka View Post
Air conditioning temperature can be changed by coding.

IHKA4
3000 Variantenkodierung
LAENDERVARTANTE

In order of coldest to coldest, RoW, US, and ECE.
In Japan, the air conditioning is set to ECE because of fuel consumption and noise problems, so it does not cool down at all when it is hot.
I set it to RoW because it produces a cold breeze.
Japan is much hotter than Germans think.

The other day I looked at ISTA for 1 minute after coding at 35℃, and the "mixing air flap" was as follows.

ECE : 24%
US : 18%
RoW : 14%
(MAX button enabled : 0%)

In other words, the higher the number, the more air goes through the heater and the warmer the airflow.

Dealers do not like coding, so it may affect your warranty.
I'm intrigued that level of customization can be done via coding. Unfortunately not a road I can go down because of the potential warranty issue you mentioned. The CPO unlimited mileage warranty was a big reason why I bought this barely used "demo" instead of brand new, and I doubled down on it with the +2yr platinum wrap. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that coverage as I may need it driving 30-35K mi/yr.

I'm hopeful the dealership can make a similar adjustment on their end to make things better.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
AllIn216
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveno View Post
It sure is a dream to drive. I live in Florida and the AC blows very cold.

The fans on the seat are a joke. I actually had to get mine replaced because it was making so much noise but was done under warranty.

I’ve got 70k trouble free miles on mine other than some minor stuff early on all fixed under warranty
You know, I was thinking if I had my car in Florida, this annoyance would be a real problem. SWFL is my home away from home.

Did the new seat fan work any better, or just quieter?

Glad to hear your 750's been largely trouble free for you! Tough to find many examples of people who've held on to these cars for a while, or drive them a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:11 PM   #6
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

FDL coding is not going to void your warranty or create any issues in service because you are not loading custom programming in to ECU. All you are doing is changing one data line with a parameter that is already in the coding. BMW dealerships cant even detect any sort of FDL coding, only DME/DDE tuning. And even if they could, they dont care as long as it is FDL. I have confirmed it with two of my local dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 12:14 PM   #7
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

The fan used to rub into the seat so was very loud. When it was fixed it just behaved as it did when I first bought the car.
Appreciate 0