BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

03-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #23
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by getu1 View Post
Crap!!! Yes on the text message and paid via Zelle so I think I’m somewhat screwed as they don’t “refund”. Been a member on various forums for 20+ years and this is the first time I think I got caught. Wish me luck but wanted to pass along so no one else gets caught by this username.
That username is long gone and abandoned. They will crop up new usernames. Call your bank or cc company associated with zelle.

I posted on a buy wheel thread, and got one of these scam pms with a number to txt and to make a deal. Lol. These guys are all over forums and fb marketplace.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #24
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by getu1 View Post
Crap!!! Yes on the text message and paid via Zelle so I think I’m somewhat screwed as they don’t “refund”.
      04-01-2023, 07:48 PM   #25
TicoM5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Garage List
2013 BMW F10 M5  [9.50]
Scam Removal?

Hi Gang, I am new to the forums and I have recently posted some wheels that I want to sell. I just logged on to check traffic and now on all my post, I have a big red banner saying to have caution because I might be a scammer. How do I go about verifying myself?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 07:35 AM   #26
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
My man Clarke ranted for 6:08 about Zelle and did not offer one not one reason for why it’s so bad. I use Zelle all the time. I pay the guy who cleans my pool. I paid my friend with it last week for something I bought from him. We pay our child’s tutor with it. What is Clark telling us here? That the tutor is going to siphon our bank account one day?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 07:43 AM   #27
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
My man Clarke ranted for 6:08 about Zelle and did not offer one not one reason for why it’s so bad. I use Zelle all the time. I pay the guy who cleans my pool. I paid my friend with it last week for something I bought from him. We pay our child’s tutor with it. What is Clark telling us here? That the tutor is going to siphon our bank account one day?
Just because you haven't been burned yet doesn't mean you won't in the future. The point is if you get scammed you have very little recourse. Same with Venmo. It's in their TOS.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      04-02-2023, 08:00 AM   #28
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Just because you haven't been burned yet doesn't mean you won't in the future. The point is if you get scammed you have very little recourse. Same with Venmo. It's in their TOS.
I mean this with all due respect but neither of you has given an example here. I think I know what you’re talking about so let me give you an example and you can let me know if this is what you and Clark mean.

If I advertise wheels on here for sale and you reach out to me, saying you want them and you pay me $5000 with Zelle you have no recourse if I don’t send the wheels? Is that what you mean? Or even let’s say I buy a pair of $5000 earrings for my wife from a legitimate jewelry store in New York City using Zelle and they don’t send the earrings I have no recourse? Is that another example of what you and Clark mean? Because Clark made it sound like once you pay me with Zelle for the wheels you can then possibly access my bank account and steal all my money. I have not heard of that. Anywhere. It sounds more like you and Clark mean using Zelle is like using cash??? Maybe?

I’m not doubting it’s dangerous. I would just like to know why because I have not heard anything bad about it from anyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #29
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Zelle is basically for paying friends or family. They say it up front on their website. Dig a little and it has no fraud protection, no refunds, no take-backs. Send money via Zelle to someone you don't know and it's pretty much gone forever, cross your fingers you get whatever it is you paid for. There are far better options to buy things from strangers on the internet. Anytime we'd see "Western Union" it'd raise flags, Zelle is no different. The service is fine, using it to pay strangers is not.
Appreciate 1
Patton2502936.50
      04-02-2023, 08:44 AM   #30
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Zelle is basically for paying friends or family. They say it up front on their website. Dig a little and it has no fraud protection, no refunds, no take-backs. Send money via Zelle to someone you don't know and it's pretty much gone forever, cross your fingers you get whatever it is you paid for. There are far better options to buy things from strangers on the internet. Anytime we'd see "Western Union" it'd raise flags, Zelle is no different. The service is fine, using it to pay strangers is not.
Thank you. That’s kind of what I figured they all were talking about but you went into detail and I appreciate that. Also, you are correct anytime I make a Zelle transaction on Chase they give explicit warnings about it. Just like if you send a wire transfer to someone. Once the recipient of the wire receives the money and a short amount of time passes by, less than 24 hours, that money is gone forever. However once again, when I do wire transfers Chase gives explicit warnings, requiring my authorization and understanding of the consequences before they/we proceed.

Instinctively I guess without knowing any of this about Zelle, whenever I do business making a large purchase with someone I don’t know I have always insisted on using PayPal. However, after reading your post and this thread will definitely make sure I never use Zelle for anyone other than people I personally know even for small amounts. Thanks again
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #31
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
PayPal
Same here, and of course it can't be a "gift" but I'm sure you know that.

Zelle is good if you owe a buddy for a concert ticket. Paypal is good if you are buying car parts from across the country. Hopefully buying them! Paypal's service fees stink but it's the cost of the insurance of sorts, that you can get a refund.
Appreciate 2
Patton2502936.50
HondaRC51242.00
      04-12-2023, 05:26 AM   #32
leuwil
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

How to report a scam - Disappeared after sending wrong wheels

Hello. I was recently scammed and just wanted to provide the story and information to help others avoid this situation. I’m reaching out since I wasn’t sure of the best way to do this. Mainly wanted to provide the info to admin so they can help prevent any future registration. Does bimmerpost keep a black list of some sort? I have all the evidence, name, phone, address, venmo.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by leuwil; 04-12-2023 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Removed info to wait for admin instructions
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2023, 12:58 AM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Post some details about the transaction + the forum member name and the latter is eligible for a permanent ban.
      05-26-2023, 01:42 PM   #34
Alpine430i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Total scam. Found phone nbr on another site reporting the same. See attached
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #35
Alpine430i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Watch out for thebootycoon and nbr 6468832773

Came up on different sites as scammer also

Beware
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 04:16 AM   #36
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quick check: all those reported in this thread have already been permanently banned from Bimmerpost.
      06-07-2023, 09:19 PM   #37
dasmachine
Rep
Drives: e92, F80

Same tactic they got me with. I work investigations for my police department so I turned over his bank details to the white collar group and secret service task force. If nothing else the bank account will get shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyourmaster View Post
I showed interest in an item for sale by a member. Then ZeeM8 who is not the OP responded to me via DM saying the item is still available. It struck me as odd that a different member and not the OP DMd me. I asked ZeeM8 if he could take a phone call as I had a question re the item. He would not. I asked if he could txt me pictures of the actual item. He sent two pictures he pulled from Google images.

Hope this clarifies my concern.

I was able to talk to the OP who confirmed he has no idea who ZeeM8 is.
Appreciate 1