BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

12-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #89
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWB View Post
Having my 7 now for 8 days. The ride is noticeably smoother, quieter, and more solid than the 2020 I turned in. The automatic doors are a bit of a disappointment at this point. Not as responsive as I would have liked. I am giving that some time to evaluate and use. The I drive 8 definitely has a learning curve as well. I have always picked up on new tech rapidly. This is not as easy to adapt as previous systems. Love the interior lighting and the approach lighting with the crystal lights and grille illumination. Again, it has only been a short period and it will take some time. Styling is definitely better in person than the pictures and videos that are available. Cannot imagine anyone not liking the car.
The way to figure out iDrive8 is to just explore -- and also use the shortcuts they allow for the most frequently used functions. It does take more time than going from id6 to id7 did, and that is not surprising as this is a totally different approach. Agree 100% re styling being something you have to see in person.

I don't have auto doors. My garage(s) are two car with not a lot of room, and I figured it would not be a good idea for the doors to swing out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 06:24 PM   #90
bimori
Rep
Drives: BMW (X7 760IX))

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
The way to figure out iDrive8 is to just explore -- and also use the shortcuts they allow for the most frequently used functions. It does take more time than going from id6 to id7 did, and that is not surprising as this is a totally different approach. Agree 100% re styling being something you have to see in person.

I don't have auto doors. My garage(s) are two car with not a lot of room, and I figured it would not be a good idea for the doors to swing out.
Totally agree. I love Idrive 8 so far. The short cuts are awesome. I don’t have the illuminated grill as I went M sport. Automatic doors have been awesome. Agree on ride quality vs the G11
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 06:41 PM   #91
joeyjoejoejr
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i and 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWB View Post
Having my 7 now for 8 days. The ride is noticeably smoother, quieter, and more solid than the 2020 I turned in. The automatic doors are a bit of a disappointment at this point. Not as responsive as I would have liked. I am giving that some time to evaluate and use. The I drive 8 definitely has a learning curve as well. I have always picked up on new tech rapidly. This is not as easy to adapt as previous systems. Love the interior lighting and the approach lighting with the crystal lights and grille illumination. Again, it has only been a short period and it will take some time. Styling is definitely better in person than the pictures and videos that are available. Cannot imagine anyone not liking the car.
I thought the auto doors were stupid and figured i wouldn’t use them after picking up the car. Now? I’m using them every time I get in and out. It’s sooo satisfying. iDrive 8 just isn’t as intuitive as previous versions. I feel like they released it before it was ready maybe? There’s little rhyme or reason to some of the things that happen. Doesn’t take away from the car that much though. I think if I would say my biggest irritation is the idrive controller. Specifically how it always thinks I’m swiping down to get to the shortcuts. That and the super sensitive DAP attention assist! Sometimes when I’m on the freeway I’ll relax my neck and lean my head back and the car keeps thinking I’m asleep I guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 06:46 PM   #92
Ledwinka
Rep
Drives: Still Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx8GC View Post
B&W comes standard in the new 7. The B&W Diamond Sound is the upgraded option. I read somewhere that the "base" system was designed in collaboration with Harmon and B&W.
Harman group, now a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics, has an agreement with Bowers & Wilkins (hence B&W) since 2019 and uses the B&W brand ONLY for automotive audio. As for Bang & Olufsen (hence B&O), which was sold to a Chinese investment entity, the automotive business of it has been acquired by Harman in 2015 and hence is offered to automotive OEMs as one of the brands it can choose to be used for their products. Audi, along with Hyundai's Genesis, use B&O branded audio systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 08:57 AM   #93
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_Cooper View Post
Still beating the dead horse?
Quote:
After all these years I don't think opinion has changed much on that Bangle 7 just like it won't change on the newest 7.
"your opinion" vs "opinion"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #94
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021BMW745e View Post
The bottom line is that this car represents less than 2% of BMW USA's sales and the disproportionate reaction by people who aren't likely to buy it is clearly driven by some level of xenophobia and some level of entitlement that BMW has to design a car for people who aren't even in the market for a big sedan, instead of for those who are.
It has to look like the E38...forevah!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 07:31 PM   #95
DB_Cooper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by E66er View Post
Quote:
lol @ boomer. I'm in my early 30s bro.

E65 is also hot trash.

After all these years I don't think opinion has changed much on that Bangle 7 just like it won't change on the newest 7.

We'll revisit this thread in 10 yrs. I'll still be right.
The E65 was a smashing sales success, so who's opinion are you talking about . We'll see how the G70 fares.
It's "whose opinion" not "who's opinion".

Apparently we are being sticklers about grammar instead of focusing on what a person is actually trying to say.:
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 10:17 PM   #96
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

I agree with some of the comments on here. I like the new 7.

Basically, if I'm getting a car like this, and I'm being honest with myself, there are two main things I want it to do (from an exterior design standpoint):

1: Look as expensive as it is, with presence
2: Look as close to a Rolls-Royce as possible.

There are some people who might not like that, but I would wager the majority of them can't afford this car; it's usually the people who can't afford it who say they want "understated luxury". Buddy, if you had the money and were dropping it, I bet you'd change your tune. Alternatively, some of these buyers may be able to afford it, but are not in the market for big stately sedans (i.e. sportscar/supercar buyers).

There might be some people who agree with those design goals, and can afford and desire a car like this, but don't think this new 7 pulls it off. To that I say, see it in person and especially on the road. It makes a big difference. Plus, this 7 like the last one, is sensitive to color and trim. A non-sport package with a two tone light grey on top and black or dark blue on the bottom, and all chrome trim rather than black, looks incredible. I also truly don't understand this obsession with putting sport facias and black on these cars; I think it looks childish, déclassé, and aftermarket. It's antithetical to the image of this car and does it a disservice.

See here for an example:

https://static1.straitstimes.com.sg/...&itok=npLN0jaA

Finally, there might be some people who like these cars, can afford them, but still don't like the new 7 in any trim or color. In that case, to each their own; you can't control the tastes of others, and that's fine.

But I would still say keep all of the above in mind whenever people online are playing "hideous", "Chinese", and "BMW has lost their way" bingo in the comments section.
Appreciate 2
E66er117.50
      12-21-2022, 08:27 AM   #97
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
It's "whose opinion" not "who's opinion".

Apparently we are being sticklers about grammar instead of focusing on what a person is actually trying to say.:
I'm not a native English speaker, so who cares about my grammar

"Your opinion" vs "opinion" however, is not about grammar. It's you failing to understand that people like different things. You don't like something is "your opinion", so it must be true for others..."opinion"
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:31 AM   #98
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
I agree with some of the comments on here. I like the new 7.

Basically, if I'm getting a car like this, and I'm being honest with myself, there are two main things I want it to do (from an exterior design standpoint):

1: Look as expensive as it is, with presence
2: Look as close to a Rolls-Royce as possible.

There are some people who might not like that, but I would wager the majority of them can't afford this car; it's usually the people who can't afford it who say they want "understated luxury". Buddy, if you had the money and were dropping it, I bet you'd change your tune. Alternatively, some of these buyers may be able to afford it, but are not in the market for big stately sedans (i.e. sportscar/supercar buyers).

There might be some people who agree with those design goals, and can afford and desire a car like this, but don't think this new 7 pulls it off. To that I say, see it in person and especially on the road. It makes a big difference. Plus, this 7 like the last one, is sensitive to color and trim. A non-sport package with a two tone light grey on top and black or dark blue on the bottom, and all chrome trim rather than black, looks incredible. I also truly don't understand this obsession with putting sport facias and black on these cars; I think it looks childish, déclassé, and aftermarket. It's antithetical to the image of this car and does it a disservice.

See here for an example:

https://static1.straitstimes.com.sg/...&itok=npLN0jaA

Finally, there might be some people who like these cars, can afford them, but still don't like the new 7 in any trim or color. In that case, to each their own; you can't control the tastes of others, and that's fine.

But I would still say keep all of the above in mind whenever people online are playing "hideous", "Chinese", and "BMW has lost their way" bingo in the comments section.
LOL! And if the G70 sells well...they will revert to "ugly cars sell all the time"...or "the Chinese bought it"
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 08:56 AM   #99
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E66er View Post
I'm not a native English speaker, so who cares about my grammar

"Your opinion" vs "opinion" however, is not about grammar. It's you failing to understand that people like different things. You don't like something is "your opinion", so it must be true for others..."opinion"
Just put DB_Cooper on your ignore list. Don't waste your time.
Appreciate 3
E66er117.50
TWB24.00
DB_Cooper597.50
      12-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #100
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

I love the automatic doors! Feels so luxurious and it's only a matter of adapting a bit to them. I use them all the time and my wife loves them.

I also wish that you had a button on the key fob that would open the drivers door or better yet, if the BMW app integrated with Siri so you could tell Siri to open the drivers side door while walking to the car. My garage door integrates with Apple HOMEkit so while I"m driving home, I can tell Siri to open my garage door. It'd be neat to be able to do the same with the 760.

I personally can't see why people put SO much weight on the front fascia, like it's a live or die proposition. I think of the car's design holistically. And I think the front looks amazing with the Shadowline treatment... esp with the Brooklyn Grey.

iDrive 8 is not complicated to me. I wish they had more custom options on the gesture control (there are only two that you can assign to actions).

But the Hey BMW, or in my case, I've changed it to "Hey Jude", takes care of almost everything you may want to do in the car (except go to a specific Sirius XM station but I can live with that.)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 12:24 AM   #101
2021BMW745e
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
I love the automatic doors! Feels so luxurious and it's only a matter of adapting a bit to them. I use them all the time and my wife loves them.
We're ordering an i7 and didn't like the automatic doors on the test drive, so we didn't get Executive Package since we could get massaging seats ala carte. Now I'm wondering if we shouldn't get it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 12:43 AM   #102
todao
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021BMW745e View Post
We're ordering an i7 and didn't like the automatic doors on the test drive, so we didn't get Executive Package since we could get massaging seats ala carte. Now I'm wondering if we shouldn't get it.
It's worth considering since going on one ride, I can see that the doors may not be appealing, esp since you have to stand back a bit and wait for them to open.

I found that you get a bit more adept at operating them and you spend the same time if you were manually swinging the door open

Closing them though is definitely easier and no adapting at all, either when you are in the car or getting out and pressing the button on the interaction bar.

I pick my wife up quite a bit and it's nice to open the door for her without moving.

And the cool factor... today a guy in the parking lot across from me said, "did you just open that door with a button?"

Oh and the upgrade on the B&W sound system is definitely worth it too.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2022, 01:24 PM   #103
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post

I also wish that you had a button on the key fob that would open the drivers door or better yet, if the BMW app integrated with Siri so you could tell Siri to open the drivers side door while walking to the car. My garage door integrates with Apple HOMEkit so while I"m driving home, I can tell Siri to open my garage door. It'd be neat to be able to do the same with the 760.

I personally can't see why people put SO much weight on the front fascia, like it's a live or die proposition. I think of the car's design holistically. And I think the front looks amazing with the Shadowline treatment... esp with the Brooklyn Grey.

iDrive 8 is not complicated to me. I wish they had more custom options on the gesture control (there are only two that you can assign to actions).

But the Hey BMW, or in my case, I've changed it to "Hey Jude", takes care of almost everything you may want to do in the car (except go to a specific Sirius XM station but I can live with that.)
So the automatic doors don’t work as Tesla on the Model X where the doors open as you walk up to the car? You have to press something?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #104
todao
Private First Class
Rep

Yes on the handle of each door is a little button. You push that in and it triggers the door opening. The door opens a little bit and there is a slight pause as the sensors check to see if there is anything in the way. That's on opening from the outside. Sometimes it open without the hesitation. In the Youtube videos, you see the person push the button and step back several steps. That's totally unnecessary as you simply press the button to the drivers door while you are standing just slightly to the rear part of the car and perhaps that's when there is no hesitation.

When you are inside the car, the button by the headlight controls on the interaction bar, opens the door without any hesitation.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 06:31 AM   #105
joeyjoejoejr
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i and 2020 X5 M50i

Has anyone mentioned you can hold the lock button on the remote and the doors will shut? I just learned that myself. Pretty sweet!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 06:58 AM   #106
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
Has anyone mentioned you can hold the lock button on the remote and the doors will shut? I just learned that myself. Pretty sweet!
I have thought about that and wondered why there was no way to do that. Thanks.

I wonder if you can do this if you use your phone as the digital key.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 10:27 AM   #107
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I saw one of these in person yesterday at the dealer and have a couple of initial thoughts. (Black)
  • The front end looks better in person…it’s not my taste but it’s way less ugly compared to the pictures I’ve seen online.
  • It’s absolutely gigantic. It blew my mind how huge the car is. It has the visual size and solidity of a tank. You could park an Escalade next to it and it would look similar in all proportions except for roof height
  • Interior fit and finish looks amazing
  • It’ll be a nightmare if something goes wrong outside of warranty
      01-08-2023, 10:55 AM   #108
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

Agree - looks better in person especially as others have pointed out in black. I test drove one and it was smooth - better than my '20 750; having said that we are close to making the switch to the X7 for the utility. Likely good bye for now after two 750's - great cars, loved them both - drove the last one from Chicago to San Diego and back - what an experience and what a machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:22 PM   #109
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB09 View Post
Agree - looks better in person especially as others have pointed out in black. I test drove one and it was smooth - better than my '20 750; having said that we are close to making the switch to the X7 for the utility. Likely good bye for now after two 750's - great cars, loved them both - drove the last one from Chicago to San Diego and back - what an experience and what a machine.
The G12 was a terrific car for long trips and the G70 in my view will be even better. And I also agree it is way better in person than in the photos on the internet. I have the chrome grille and when it lights up when I enter the garage from the house, I smile. It is a car that has a presence.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 04:52 PM   #110
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

Alte BMW I am really starting to have second thoughts about the switch; no X7 available with the 8 cylinder engine so have to order, but dealer has plenty of inventory for the 760. First world problems I guess - love the utility of a large SUV which we need on occasion, but will miss the ride of the 7 series (plus better gas mileage and easier to find winter tires). Might just have to flip a coin.
Appreciate 0