BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

01-08-2023, 07:35 PM   #111
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB09 View Post
Alte BMW I am really starting to have second thoughts about the switch; no X7 available with the 8 cylinder engine so have to order, but dealer has plenty of inventory for the 760. First world problems I guess - love the utility of a large SUV which we need on occasion, but will miss the ride of the 7 series (plus better gas mileage and easier to find winter tires). Might just have to flip a coin.
If you need the space, you need the space. . . . The X7 is big also, but in obviously different ways. Yet on the road when I see one, I have to look at the badge to see whether it is an X5 or X7. I'm surprised there's no X7 inventory. You may be able to order one and get it fairly soon as they're made in South Carolina.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 09:20 PM   #112
bimmer32
Rep
Drives: 750Li

Such an interesting discussion thread. Design and art is subjective in that it represents the time in which it was created and enjoyed. It is objective in the sense that it neither requires affirmation nor confirmation.

BMW chose the design of the front end of the G70.Like most art and design, it is not appreciated until later when other artist designers contribute, or not, the the original creation.

On a personal note, I thought the front end looks aggressive in dark colored vehicle particularly a frost black. While I am not a fan of black, I thought the design fit well with dark. Yet, in person, he whole car looks like a beautified mad max. But perhaps this is the start of a new design. Just look at the other series.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 09:45 AM   #113
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

I spent some time with one yesterday. It does look better in person, but not by much. There was a G12 on the showroom floor also in the same color, and its so much better looking from every angle. Inside I think the G12 is better looking too, but the G70 is much more comfortable. The seats were what kept me out of a G12, but the seats in the G70 are every bit as comfortable as those in my S560, if not moreso. Tech is amazing. I don't care for the gauge layout (I like a traditional round gauge option), but the infotainment is top notch and SUPER fast. In person I love the ambient light strip and the glass controls.

In person it looks less tall, which is good. I really see the E39 in the side profile, but the rear with the huge BMW emblem and bumper mounted license plate is ugly, IMO, and the front speaks for itself. I wish you could get the non M-Sport in the gas models...

I think its a car that I would really love the interior and drive of, but I don't know that I will ever warm to the weird styling. Then theres size, its HUGE, bigger outside without really being bigger inside...I don't know that it would fit in my garage...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 03:50 PM   #114
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
I think its a car that I would really love the interior and drive of, but I don't know that I will ever warm to the weird styling. Then theres size, its HUGE, bigger outside without really being bigger inside...I don't know that it would fit in my garage...
I want to buy one but worried about how it fits in my garage. My dealer sold the one I test drove so no good way of bringing it home to test fit. On paper it fits but gonna be close. And to your point, I don’t get the point of making a car bigger outside without bigger inside
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2023, 05:09 PM   #115
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

not sure why this vehicle is longer than the outgoing model; does not seem like there is more interior or trunk space. it does not drive as big. Did not feel that way in my current 750 either, 4 wheel steering makes a big difference in my opinion. The interior is beautiful as others have stated, though I am not sure about the execution of the seat back.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 01:50 AM   #116
nirvana19
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 Lotus Evora GT, 91 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVB09 View Post
not sure why this vehicle is longer than the outgoing model; does not seem like there is more interior or trunk space. it does not drive as big. Did not feel that way in my current 750 either, 4 wheel steering makes a big difference in my opinion. The interior is beautiful as others have stated, though I am not sure about the execution of the seat back.
Styling and proportions, as the "extended wheelbase" length has become the norm. Originally, the 7s were designed around a certain proportionality and wheelbase, and extended wheelbase versions (iL, Li, or just i in recent years) thus had a bit of a stretched appearance. Acknowledging that the longer wheelbase is now the standard in the 7's segment, they designed this new car around that length while aiming to retain traditional sedan proportionality (hence the high trunk line as well). As a result, the new 7 doesn't look stretched from the side anymore (really, quite remarkable for a car of this mass) but all of this is at the cost of a little practicality and some controversial/bold design choices.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #117
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I still can't stand the looks of this and never will.

However... After having seen more videos of the interior and technology, that aspect can NOT be denied!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #118
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I still can't stand the looks of this and never will.

However... After having seen more videos of the interior and technology, that aspect can NOT be denied!
IMO it looks much better without the "M" front bumper. So stupid of BMW to force that M package on US buyers and not giving us the choice
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 02:06 PM   #119
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
IMO it looks much better without the "M" front bumper. So stupid of BMW to force that M package on US buyers and not giving us the choice
You know... That does actually look better!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 04:55 PM   #120
KevinDC
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i; 2022 BMW 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Completely agree. With the US market forced to select an M bumper, the exterior color choice has a profound impact on the overall attractiveness of the car, more than any other vehicle I’ve seen before. Hopefully BMW gives the US market a non-M option for next year’s model, as it does look very good (particularly with lighter exterior colors).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #121
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

The reason the new 7 is so tall is because BMW went with one model for both its ICE and electric offerings (in contrast to MB’s bifurcated S and EQS strategy).

To accomplish this, the height of the car had to be raised because a large battery pack resides on the floor of the vehicle, below the passenger compartment, resulting in the ICE 7 being tall, unnecessarily so.

While the model is bigger on the outside, it’s no larger on the inside. In fact, I’m not impressed with the rear legroom, which feels less than my F02.

Also, the look of stretched / extended rear doors is a superior look / trait for this class of vehicle as well; but due to the taller height, rear door length is now masked, proportionally.

Wonder what was on the drawing board had BMW decided to go the route of two separate vehicle lines; must've been contemplated / weighed.

Otherwise, the rear theater screen stowed overhead appears to be a safety issue in event of a significant accident; sharp shards of plastic puncturing rear passengers, and who knows what the arms of same are made out of [metal?]. Maybe that's the reason why it's not orderable at the moment; not supply chain constraints, but safety.

Last edited by dbs600; 01-18-2023 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0