BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Walnut Blasting/Carbon Cleaning?

After owning an N54 BMW for several years I became familiar with the engine's quirks, requirements and failings. It was also an awesome engine and I loved every second of it. Now I have the 750 which is an N63 and it is nothing but joy so far. The CCP work was performed on the engine before I took CPO delivery. I purchased at 54k miles and the work was done at just over 50k miles.

Just recently I've noticed some similarities in my current engine with the behavior of my previous one. Most noticeable is the occasional rough idle that I used to get where it feels almost like a bit of un-aerosolized gasoline drips from the fuel injector and causes a momentary blip/hesitation in the engine. It's barely noticeable but I notice it. It got me wondering if the 7 series is supposed to be walnut blasted/carbon cleaned by some other method in the same manner the N54 5 series was and/or if fouling of plugs and fuel injectors was commonplace in this engine also.

Any thoughts/experience? Also, I wondered if this would be covered under CPO warranty in your opinions? I would expect normal fuel injector wear and tear would not be but if it was faulty that's a different story. New plugs and harnesses were done in October 2019 by an indy but all OEM parts, nothing exotic.

I am putting Dinantronics on the car at Turner Motorsports in a few weeks and am trying to cover the bases before then.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

I have the 740i and this is exactly what I am going through and I’ve taken it to the dealer many times but they couldn’t figure anything out. It happens quite often through the start stop when it turns back on. Even though I rarely use the feature. The car shakes a couple times idk if this happens to you. It’s always on idle however. It feels like a slight misfire... Also my car has only done 16000 miles now and is still under warranty. They told me to keep on driving and see if it gets worse so they can diagnose it.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
donharris757
Rep
Drives: 2022 850 grand coupe

carbon blasting

HI guys, i have done carbon blasting at my independent mechanic on all my german cars. Pricey but most definitely worth it Just had my 11 x5 with 160,000 miles and my 01 325 with 150,000 done.. both run like new now. no more high idling. JUst make sure u let the car sit overnite before they blast it..
Appreciate 0