BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-10-2019, 01:25 AM   #1
GC315
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li XDrive

Squared to Staggered wheels 2014 750Li XDrive

Does anyone know why.....

Ok here's a bit of background. I previously owned a 2015 750i with a staggered configuration (19's). I kept the aftermarket wheels and tires and put the factory wheels back on when I got rid of it.

I just got a 2014 750Li XDrive that came with square configuration (19's). I didn't like how the oem wheels looked and remembered I still had the wheels that I put on the 750i.

I checked tirerack to make sure that the staggered 19's configuration was an option for the 2014, and it was. And the staggered configuration for the '14 was exactly the same (size and width) as the aftermarket wheels that I kept from the 2015.

So I took off the oem wheels (square) off of the 2014 and put the aftermarket wheels on (staggered).

Now the TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) malfunction light came on. Took it to a tire shop and they said it's because of the wider tires in the back.

BMW service says it needs to diagnose the issue (for $200) and take it from there, but cannot guarantee they can fix it. Great!

It is completely driveable. But seeing that warning light is unsettling.

Does anyone know why the TPM malfunction light is on? Is it just because I went to a staggered configuration?

Also, will BMW be able to reconfigure the sensors so that warning light will go away? Or are they just trying to make $200 bucks off of me and will be telling me there's nothing they can do?

I really don't want to put the square oem wheels back on.

Any advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

TPM Malfunction? (A pic would have really been helpful). Are you getting a malfunction warning or just a low tire warning due to changing over the wheels?

Did you reset the TPM system after replacing the wheels? Any wheel/tire change or inflation...the system should be reset by going into iDrive and scrolling to the INIT or RESET icon along the left side of the screen...and the engine needs to be running to initiate the change...then you proceed to drive.

I'm not clear if you have a malfunction or you just need a reset? But the warning probably has nothing to do with 19" staggered wheels on the rear. It's more of the sensors aren't communicating with the control module...or you need to reset/initialize the system with the change of wheels.

Also, BMW changed the TPM sensors and perhaps your old sensors don't communicate with your new car. If you remember the VIN of your old car...input that data into one of the online part database sites (like www.realoem.com )...and pull up the correct 11 digit BMW part number for the sensors used for that car...then compare that to your new car and see if they use the same part number. If they don't...then you've found the problem...you'll need to install new sensors that are compatible with your new car.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-10-2019 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just did a quick generic search...and the TPM sensors for the f01 changes at 3/2014 build date. So it is quite possible that the "malfunction" warning you're seeing is due to incompatible TPM sensors. What was the build date of your 2014? Was it prior to 3/2014?

{TPM sensors (#2 inn diagram below) have different part nbrs...either 2010- 3/2014 or 3/2014-up...and the new part number is listed as being retrospectivley NON EXCHANGEABLE }

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
GC315
Rep

Ok thanks! I'll check the VIN and go from there.

Thanks for the input!

When I go into the configuration area, it simply says: TPM Malfunction: System unable to detect tire pressure loss... etc.

I'll think I can find the old VIN somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
TPM Malfunction? (A pic would have really been helpful). Are you getting a malfunction warning or just a low tire warning due to changing over the wheels?

Did you reset the TPM system after replacing the wheels? Any wheel/tire change or inflation...the system should be reset by going into iDrive and scrolling to the INIT or RESET icon along the left side of the screen...and the engine needs to be running to initiate the change...then you proceed to drive.

I'm not clear if you have a malfunction or you just need a reset? But the warning probably has nothing to do with 19" staggered wheels on the rear. It's more of the sensors aren't communicating with the control module...or you need to reset/initialize the system with the change of wheels.

Also, BMW changed the TPM sensors and perhaps your old sensors don't communicate with your new car. If you remember the VIN of your old car...input that data into one of the online part database sites (like www.realoem.com )...and pull up the correct 11 digit BMW part number for the sensors used for that car...then compare that to your new car and see if they use the same part number. If they don't...then you've found the problem...you'll need to install new sensors that are compatible with your new car.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
GC315
Rep

TPM Malfunction pics

Those are the pics of the error messages. One is when you check the hazard status of your car which simply says TPM Malfunction inside the red bar.

The other is when you go to the TPM configuration screen which says Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) malfunction.

The last one is when you try to reset it and after driving for about 15 minutes it will say system unable to detect tire pressure loss.

It's possible the the sensors on the "new" 2014 750 Li are not compatible with the sensors that came with the tires that were on the "old" 2015 750i that the wheels came off of.

I guess I'll have to pay BMW service to find out.

Thanks a bunch!

Quote:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
GC315
Rep

Build date

It appears to have a build date of 02/14. Wow. I looked up the TPM sensors for 2014 750Li and 2015 750i. They appear to be different. I never thought it'd be so complicated. I assumed any 7 series built a year apart would use the same type of sensors. It never even crossed my mind that they'd be different. And one set of the same sensors can be on a different frequency than another and they aren't compatible. Pretty complicated! Thanks for your help! I guess I'm gonna have the dealer figure it out.

Quote:
Just did a quick generic search...and the TPM sensors for the f01 changes at 3/2014 build date. So it is quite possible that the "malfunction" warning you're seeing is due to incompatible TPM sensors. What was the build date of your 2014? Was it prior to 3/2014?

{TPM sensors (#2 inn diagram below) have different part nbrs...either 2010- 3/2014 or 3/2014-up...and the new part number is listed as being retrospectivley NON EXCHANGEABLE }

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just getting back to this...yeah, it looks like the problem is the sensors are incompatible.

The only thing you need to do to fix the issue is have the correct TPM sensors installed. You'll be able to save some money if you go to one of the major tire chains or use the correct 11 digit BMW part number you need for the build date of the car that the wheels are being installed on...and shop online using the correct 11 digit BMW part number. Once you receive them, then you'll have to have them tires dismounted from the wheels to install the correct TPM sensors...and you'll be good to go.

Again, you only need to have the correct sensors inside the wheels that have the same protocol as the car's system. Don't get confused with the frequency...I believe both are 433 MHz (in the USA)...but the protocol before/after the 3/2014 build date is what's different.

Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
GC315
Rep

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am gonna give this a shot! I appreciate the advice! Thanks

Quote:
Just getting back to this...yeah, it looks like the problem is the sensors are incompatible.

The only thing you need to do to fix the issue is have the correct TPM sensors installed. You'll be able to save some money if you go to one of the major tire chains or use the correct 11 digit BMW part number you need for the build date of the car that the wheels are being installed on...and shop online using the correct 11 digit BMW part number. Once you receive them, then you'll have to have them tires dismounted from the wheels to install the correct TPM sensors...and you'll be good to go.

Again, you only need to have the correct sensors inside the wheels that have the same protocol as the car's system. Don't get confused with the frequency...I believe both are 433 MHz (in the USA)...but the protocol before/after the 3/2014 build date is what's different.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
GC315
Rep

I just had a thought... will this work?

I'm wondering if it would work if I took the TPM sensors from the wheels I took off (that worked fine) and put the same TPM sensors in the wheels I put on? I'm thinking that it should work, right?

Quote:

Quote:

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC315 View Post
I'm wondering if it would work if I took the TPM sensors from the wheels I took off (that worked fine) and put the same TPM sensors in the wheels I put on? I'm thinking that it should work, right?
Yes, kind of. You could reuse the sensors if they are still working...but you may have to buy new valve stems (or one of the two additional pieces that create #3 in the diagram)...I'm not sure they are reusable once they've been pulled apart.

I had a damaged wheel that was replaced and I reused the TPM sensor...but I do believe that had to use new stems because when they handed the sensor and stem parts back (while waiting for the new wheel to arrive)...some of the washers and rings that screw into the sensor looked like they were 1-and-done.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #11
GC315
Rep

It worked

It took a little longer than I had planned but switching out the sensor's from the old wheels and putting them in the new ones on the car worked! Thanks for all your help! Malfunction light gone!

Quote:
Yes, kind of. You could reuse the sensors if they are still working...but you may have to buy new valve stems (or one of the two additional pieces that create #3 in the diagram)...I'm not sure they are reusable once they've been pulled apart.

I had a damaged wheel that was replaced and I reused the TPM sensor...but I do believe that had to use new stems because when they handed the sensor and stem parts back (while waiting for the new wheel to arrive)...some of the washers and rings that screw into the sensor looked like they were 1-and-done.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #12
GC315
Rep

Unbelievable! I asked the dealer what they would charge to install the correct tpms sensors in the tires... $800+... tire store... $80.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It took a little longer than I had planned but switching out the sensor's from the old wheels and putting them in the new ones on the car worked! Thanks for all your help! Malfunction light gone!
Quote:
Unbelievable! I asked the dealer what they would charge to install the correct tpms sensors in the tires... $800+... tire store... $80.
GREAT! Thanks for the update.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
rmani
Buys too many toys...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Ferrari 360

Quote:
That’s unbelievable the dealer would be 10x the price

Curious when you look at the sticker on your car does it recommend 245 all around like my 740lix?

Im running a staggered setup (275 rears) and had to recently reset the tire pressure light which seems to have resolved everything but mine is also an 8/2013 build date. Just curious if moving to staggered in anyway can affect the awd system.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 05:26 PM   #15
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmani View Post
That’s unbelievable the dealer would be 10x the price

Curious when you look at the sticker on your car does it recommend 245 all around like my 740lix?

Im running a staggered setup (275 rears) and had to recently reset the tire pressure light which seems to have resolved everything but mine is also an 8/2013 build date. Just curious if moving to staggered in anyway can affect the awd system.
Check the BMW recommended tire sizes in your owners manual, too. You'll see more information...usually for above and below 100 MPH PSI settings along with various tire size recommendations.

My 2013 F06 650ix came off the assembly line with a staggered set of Style 356 20" wheels...but the sticker on the door only lists 18" tire sizes and PSI. I'm not sure why BMW changed the information that put on the driver's door jamb. Every BMW I've owned before this...pretty much included the same info on the driver's door jamb as it did in the owners manual.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
rmani
Buys too many toys...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 Ferrari 360

That’s weird. I guess moral of the story it doesn’t matter if you stagger just know which tire sensors to use.
Appreciate 0