BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-30-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Drove An S Class

After my excursion to the dealership this morning I took a pre-arranged side trip to an MB dealer where I previously bought 2 W222 S Classes. Drove a '24 with the AMG Line and 19" wheels.I was underwhelmed.The cheap Hancook runflats vibrated,the vaunted suspension was certanly no better than mine,it was no quieter,and the dash rattled over bumps on the interstate.Pretty disappointing but not unexpected reading previous comments.Even with the niggling problems and a bit of a cluster at my BMW dealer yesterday(I was orphaned by my SA) I feel I'm in the best German luxury sedan.My Sales Advisor and a new SA stepped up,after several texts and phone calls,to get me in there on the tranny problem below before a series of road trips.All good at the moment!
Appreciate 3
      04-30-2024, 02:49 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
MB is not what is used to be. Yeah we can complain about what BMW could do better, but the fact is the car that satisfies everyone hasn't yet been built. BMW ergonomics for the driver are IMHO more thought out. I test drove an S class when I was considering G70 and liked the handling of my '20 G12 better than the '23 S, and thought the driver controls/electronics were simpler and quicker on the BMW. The G70 with the new idrive took some getting used too but to me is even easier.

My wife has a '23 E450 wagon, and having now spent some time in our extra car, a '23 X3, she told me yesterday that the X3 "is now my car; the wagon can be the extra." The X3 is a 4 cylinder btw. A good part of her decision was the electronics. The E450 has Mbux with touch panels; the X3 has ID7. We were trying to change what the MB heads-up display shows. Verbal commands could not be used; the on screen menus did not show how to do it, the user manual did not provide guidance, and only after literally months of trying did we discover that it gets controlled by one of the menus accessible only through a tiny touch panel on the steering wheel.

Sorry for the digression from S class -- but somebody said that Mercedes are for riding in as a passenger and BMW are for driving and that sounds about right
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      04-30-2024, 11:41 PM   #3
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i7 60, XM, M3 Comp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
MB is not what is used to be. Yeah we can complain about what BMW could do better, but the fact is the car that satisfies everyone hasn't yet been built. BMW ergonomics for the driver are IMHO more thought out. I test drove an S class when I was considering G70 and liked the handling of my '20 G12 better than the '23 S, and thought the driver controls/electronics were simpler and quicker on the BMW. The G70 with the new idrive took some getting used too but to me is even easier.

My wife has a '23 E450 wagon, and having now spent some time in our extra car, a '23 X3, she told me yesterday that the X3 "is now my car; the wagon can be the extra." The X3 is a 4 cylinder btw. A good part of her decision was the electronics. The E450 has Mbux with touch panels; the X3 has ID7. We were trying to change what the MB heads-up display shows. Verbal commands could not be used; the on screen menus did not show how to do it, the user manual did not provide guidance, and only after literally months of trying did we discover that it gets controlled by one of the menus accessible only through a tiny touch panel on the steering wheel.

Sorry for the digression from S class -- but somebody said that Mercedes are for riding in as a passenger and BMW are for driving and that sounds about right
When the EQS 450+ debuted, we spent 30 mins or so test driving it. I kid you not....it took us about 15 mins to switch from FM radio to Sirius/XM (and my spouse is a computer scientist and loves tech). Yes...so many odd things have to be done with odd steering wheel controls and then some things on the main screen. Not saying BMW is always logical, but compared to MBZ they are as easy to use as a Civic
Appreciate 4
AlteBMW742.00
LVBMW1541.50
      05-01-2024, 10:02 AM   #4
rollingtaser
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutsch100 View Post
When the EQS 450+ debuted, we spent 30 mins or so test driving it. I kid you not....it took us about 15 mins to switch from FM radio to Sirius/XM (and my spouse is a computer scientist and loves tech)
haha! i can feel her/you!

the more you are in IT / computer the more you have "problems" and don't understand how someone can develop something like this...

(same applies to BMW)
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004039.00
      05-01-2024, 03:06 PM   #5
A-Train
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: i7

MBUX has driven me crazy (pardon the pun) whenever I use it in my spouse's car. It's almost like it's intentionally awful by its software team in intuitiveness.
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2024, 03:39 PM   #6
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingtaser View Post
haha! i can feel her/you!

the more you are in IT / computer the more you have "problems" and don't understand how someone can develop something like this...

(same applies to BMW)
Omg, yes! It makes it infinitely worse for IT and computer people. They just cannot get their head around the how and WHY of it!!
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1541.50
      05-01-2024, 03:40 PM   #7
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
MBUX has driven me crazy (pardon the pun) whenever I use it in my spouse's car. It's almost like it's intentionally awful by its software team in intuitiveness.
We said the exact near thing. Did the software team actually think it would be funny to frustrate and annoy the F out of Mercedes customers and drivers?!
Appreciate 1
LVBMW1541.50
      05-01-2024, 11:18 PM   #8
Streamliner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB S560 sedan,SL450,E450 Wagon

I’ve had 17 new, higher end MB’s. I got a new, loaded 2022 S580. After about 18 months and 12K miles, MBUSA “repurchased” it. The car was an absolute piece of junk! I’m now driving a CPO 2020 S560 and it is a tremendously better car.

I just ordered a new I7 xDrive60. Can’t wait!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3